Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nothing else needs to be said. Get rid of this tactic all together and stick to the basics of defending that even eleven year olds know, FFS.

:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

·
Registered
398 Posts
We just can't mark full-stop. Compare our in-the-box marking to Chelsea's and it's clear why they are 5 points ahead of us.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
more like getting attracted to the ball and ball watching than zonal marking , must be said though today we had only Campbell who can genuinely attack the ball in defence, another either/or of Gilberto or Vieira would have helped.

if it was zonal marking then surely there would have been someone standing within five yards of Lampard at the back stick and there wouldn't have been the space to drive a bus through for the second goal ?

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
gilberto and viera will help when it comes to set pieces, when they are back, we will have no problem.
by the way almunia was very good today.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Henry and Bergkamp should come back for all set pieces,their both tall guys.We had litle fabregas tryna mark today...

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
ooo alumina is playing now?? hows he?
Alumina was solid today but I still rate Jens over Alumiina.

We can't just wait for Gilberto to recover in order to improve our defending of set pieces as odds are he's out for the season.

I don't care how short the players are as in many instances hardly anyone even attempts to jump. Most of the players remain glued to the pitch watching the round thing in the air enter our net.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
If it is zonal marking, then why is one zone always empty of your players? one of the opponents only seem to need a run to open up your defense on dead ball situations.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JKris said:
If it is zonal marking, then why is one zone always empty of your players? one of the opponents only seem to need a run to open up your defense on dead ball situations.
Because we can't even do zonal marking right. Their first goal was because of Henry ball-watching and standing there. If he was marking Terry properly (ie. man marking), the pasty git wouldn't have got near the ball.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it me or has Henry been responsible for a few of the set-piece goals we'vr conceded? Eatch the PSV and Terry goals. IMO Henry making any sort of effort to stop ball or man would have prevented a goal. I know it's not his job, but he has been put in the box for a reason. Our set-piece problem won't go away if the tall players (i.e Vieira and Henry who have both been at fault for goals) dont get their act together. The short players are disadvantaged anyway.

Not only did he get in Sol's way thereby preventing Sol from making a challenge, he also bottled it and failed to make any kind of challenge himself, even though he probably has the best spring in our team. It's disappointing and frustrating.

Now this isn't any sort of attack on Henry at all, it's more an attack on our approach to defending. It needs to be sorted out ASAP as it costed us three points yesterday since Chelsea weren't going to score from open play.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Its not the zonal marking thats the problem, its because we have too many midgets in the team at the moment. Although, it doesn't help that all our players' feet stay glued to the pitch at set plays. The sooner Gilberto is back the better, its now crystal clear that he was a huge reason why we had the best defence last season.

Even his biggest critics must agree now!! First, the excuse was when Vieira gets back, but the problem remained, then it was when Campbell comes back but nothing has changed. Its fair to say, he was the most underated player in the team. It's a shame he will miss the whole season and now Edu is going we have to get a replacement. But who?

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
with gilberto back , it will still take sometime. however i dont see how his the missing link, gilberto on the pitch seems pretty ordinary ? maybe its just vieira missing another defensive partner?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, Gilberto is always the first player to get his head to the ball at a defensive set piece. It's what he does on the pitch too - cutting out opposition attacks before they happen. It's not a flashy role but someone has to do it.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
id just say he creates some defensive cover and allows vieira to do some of his great slicing runs

·
Registered
791 Posts
khimik said:
Well, Gilberto is always the first player to get his head to the ball at a defensive set piece. It's what he does on the pitch too - cutting out opposition attacks before they happen. It's not a flashy role but someone has to do it.
Exactly, when he is in the team, he allows Vieira to get more forward and as you said he snuffs out any danger. I love Cesc but when he plays Vieira has to do so much work and this season he has not been up to it. Unlike Gilberto, who covers so much ground.

Wenger pays so much attention to detail and he gets the stats of how much ground each player covers and its no surprise that Gilberto tops the list everytime. Its a shame that many fans dont see this. Its no coincidence that we looked much more secure when Giberto partnered Cesc in the begining of the season.

Until Vieira gets his form back it is a worry... :confused:

·
63,337 Posts
I don't think we miss Gilberto, we just miss height, Edu and Vieira played the best football for us last year in midfield, it is just up to Paddy to adapt to Fabregas game when he plays, it shouldn't be that hard, i like Gilberto's defensive play but he lacks anything with the ball at all.

·
63,337 Posts
JKris said:
it wasn't zonal marking, Campbell was clearly man marking as was Kolo, it's just the rest seemed to be neither zonal or man marking, some of them were even marking no-one far away from the goal not doing anything. :rolleyes:

Winterburn was on telly last night and he said they have been working all week and it is sorted, obviously it is down to players like Flamini, Cesc, Cole and Ralph not being especially tall and a complete lack of confidence, you can get it right on the training pitch but if you are not confident in a match situation you are fuk'd.

we need a couple of clean sheets on the bounce to restore confidence.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts