Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoff offers to quit Fiorentina

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dino Zoff has offered his resignation after Fiorentina’s fourth consecutive defeat and suggested a political motive behind his troubles.

“Right now I have some unsettling thoughts about our treatment,” he said after two Viola players saw red within the first ten minutes of their 3-0 defeat at Sampdoria.

“Perhaps on a purely political plane my presence here has not helped matters. In two out of my three Serie A games with this side I have witnessed disastrous refereeing performances.”

There was real controversy surrounding the 2-1 home defeat to Fiorentina – in which both sides had perfectly good goals disallowed – and two of Lazio’s three strikes were irregular.

“We also have to shoulder some of the blame for our current situation,” conceded Zoff, “but I think my presence is complicating it further. We’ll see what we can do about that.”

When asked if he was essentially offering his resignation to the Fiorentina directors, the former Italy boss was cagey. “I believe in roles and those in a position to judge should make their decisions.”

Fiorentina have been making waves all season thanks to patron Diego Della Valle’s very public bid to have League President – and Milan chief – Adriano Galliani deposed from his position.

Zoff also clashed with the Rossoneri in his time, famously quitting as Azzurri Coach after Milan President – and Italy Prime Minister – Silvio Berlusconi criticised his tactics in the Euro 2000 Final.

"This is the latest evidence of persecution against the team," read an official club statement. "But we won't give in. They are trying to stop Fiorentina and this city from engaging in sport."

Today’s game went downhill from the moment Valeri Bojinov was shown a straight red card for lashing out an elbow at Sergio Volpi. Teammate Daniele Delli Carri followed 90 seconds later for dissent.

“I did nothing wrong,” insisted the £10m signing. “I just rested my elbow on Volpi’s chest after he had pushed me in the back. The referees should admit when they make a mistake. In any case, I apologise to my teammates and hope my ban is no longer than one match.”

Sampdoria Coach Walter Novellino saw the incident from a different angle and supported the work of referee Paolo Dondarini.

“The team played well in an unusual game. Admittedly we had the advantage with those early red cards, but Bojinov definitely tried to hit Volpi with his elbow. We know what it’s like, as we had two men sent off when we played against Siena,” he noted.

Fausto Rossini was stretchered off during the second half after catching his studs in the turf and the Samp striker has been diagnosed with a slight ankle sprain.

channel4

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zoff is disappointed with the players' attitude, but the lack of gifted defenders isn't his fault. Sorry, but Delli Carri's idiocy is visible in every match. Viali also made incredible mistakes.

·
Registered
46,974 Posts
Not the best reaction from Zoff... the team now needs stability and conspircy hunting is not the best way to find it, more, he somehow asked for a sack, another destabilizing factor. And last but not least the starting lineup today was crap. I'd sack him and call back Mondonico.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
fatih terim, i know he didnt do too well last time but this time i think he could save us from what is becoming a horrible season

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Young07 said:
fatih terim, i know he didnt do too well last time but this time i think he could save us from what is becoming a horrible season
Do you want Fiorentina to be in worse trouble than what they're with terim?What would he seriously bring the club?It doesn't help when you have t play with the majority of the game with 9 men,Ref's decisions never help but players need to be more accountable.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Schumy said:
Do you want Fiorentina to be in worse trouble than what they're with terim?What would he seriously bring the club?It doesn't help when you have t play with the majority of the game with 9 men,Ref's decisions never help but players need to be more accountable.

IMO...Terim is the right man for the squad we currently have now. Schumy, Terim was one of the best coaches we had even for a short period. We played some mesmerizing football. His lack of success with Milan got nothing to do with the way he coach Fiorentina. He is the man right now...

Btw. We wont get relegated cause it is juz impossible and not with the squad we have.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Narentino said:
IMO...Terim is the right man for the squad we currently have now. Schumy, Terim was one of the best coaches we had even for a short period. We played some mesmerizing football. His lack of success with Milan got nothing to do with the way he coach Fiorentina. He is the man right now...

Btw. We wont get relegated cause it is juz impossible and not with the squad we have.
Terim just focuses on attack and at Milan he was founded out,He'll end up getting exposed in Italy like Zeman does with his play.Except zeman knows the game far better in Italy than terim. ;)

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Mago said:
“I did nothing wrong,” insisted the £10m signing. “I just rested my elbow on Volpi’s chest after he had pushed me in the back. The referees should admit when they make a mistake.
he takes thew first price tough. :D "Rested his elbow" ;)

·
Registered
46,974 Posts
Narentino said:
I hope that the management of Fiorentina does not underrate the risk cause there were even better teams which got relegated in the past and right now I just see Atalanta as certain relegated club. Siena are strengthened by some good purchases (Cozza, Maccarone, Tudor), an important return (D'Aversa) and a new coach which is good (De Canio).
Consider that they already had good players like Chiesa, Taddei, Vergassola... Defeating them right now is not so easy and fundamental for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts