Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss for words to describe Zidane's absolutely magnificent goal against Bayer Leverkusen. :eek: :excited: :heart:

The best I can do is to repeat the words of Marca:

"When a ball drops from heaven and it is then struck by a god then there is no more to say. Football was invented for us to enjoy moments such as this."

Perhaps we can have a few words from 'Zizou's official spoke-person.' :D ;)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Well thank you Tim for this great initiative!:) I can only echo what you have said, and re-phrasing Marca, as they said it more eloquently and more beautifully than any other one. I will share here my personal experience as to when this masterpiece from out of this world was achieved by one of the greatest talents to walk in a football pitch ever. I was a in a sports bar, here in downtown Toronto. A bar traditionnally more hockey minded than any sports as it is located close to the old arena of the Maple Leafs. I was sitting in this bar, with a couple of friends, who were neutral and born and raised pure canadians, so no football fans at all. We were watching this game I was trying to explain to these neophytes the rules of football and also some of the more advanced subtilities of this beautiful game. I was telling them to watch Zidane each time he touched the ball if they wanted to admire football at is absolute best. We were talking about the current Champions League season, when the thunder stroke, right before half time.

The bar was pretty crowded with the majority of people, being there just to enjoy a meal or a drink or talk about the exploits of the Leafs, the night before and suddenly, the whole bar, in one intonation screamed: "Holly, mother!Jesus!!" you could hear people not knowing anything about football yelling all excited and amazed. I was simply mesmerized or rather hypnotized, not knowing whether to join them in their amazement or to simply enjoy what i was witnessing. I didn't realized it right away, as i was in a deep state of complete vacuum. My brain was going nuts, crazy, pyscho, you name it. It was only after the first replay that i did realized what was going on as i started to take control of my emotions. I simply exploded screaming like rarely i've done in my life. I had goose-bumps all over my body and tears in my eyes.

The TV continued to show replays of this strike from Heavens for about two minutes, and the commentator, usually a calme british man, was going crazy too...He repeated several times, "what a strike!what a striker!what a strike!" and the whole bar was echoing that phrase as well. I yelled then so loud that the whole crowed looked at me, surprised, but i just simply couldn't contain myself. It was simply impossible at this moment, in front of such a breathe-taking piece of grandiose art. I turned then to the people seating in here, not knowing anything and told them: "this is football or soccer at his very best!This is the true football!Not what you folks see on tv with the Canadian NT or the CSL or the Major League!!!This is football, with the greatest goal scored in European Cups, by the greatest player of his generation of the greatest club of the world!". People were still amazed as they were still watching the replays of the "Thunder Stroke" and the majority of them nodded.

Right after this moment, my buddy called me on my cell phone, he was going nuts like me and like all these people witnessing this piece of History in front of their mesmerized eyes. He was talking to me in French, about Zizou and we were both shouting at each other, the excitement growing even stronger and more intensely. He told me one thing that I simply yelled back at him, with my entire approval: He said:" With such a Zizou in this kind of outstanding form and the team that we have, I am extremely confident about the World Cup! I wouldn't be surprised if the Cup remained in France for another 4 years at least!!!". I replied back to him: " The Cup will stay in France!!!!"

So, voila, that's how I reacted to this Historic goal, or rather piece of magnificient sheer brillance.:) Let us end by mentionning again, the great hommage given by the Spaniard daily paper, Marca to Zidane's Thunder Strike.

"When a ball drops from heaven and it is then struck by a god then there is no more to say. Football was invented for us to enjoy moments such as this."

ALLEZ YAZHID!:star::star:
T'es vraiment LE MEILLEUR!!!:star::star::star::proud::stuckup: :proud::happy::cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
San_Siro_1 thanks for the link, but the zidane goal on the uefa site doesnt seem to work on my computer? do you know any other sites where i might be able to see it? thanks.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every now and then football gives us a glimpse of its full beauty, and this was one of those wonderful instances.

Payman, thank you for the account. It made me feel as though I was right there in the bar.

sebastien, it should work if you have the latest version of Real Player installed on your computer.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I agree ofcourse! best goal of the year!;) :)
and he did it in a Champions Leauge final also:eek: :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts