Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Žigic crowns memorable rise
Tuesday, 30 December 2003
FK Crvena Zvezda forward Nikola Žigic has been named Serbo-Montenegrin player of the year.

Instant impact
Žigic, who was chosen by a poll of the captains of the Prva Savezna Liga sides, has enjoyed a successful first season in the Serbo-Montenegrin top flight, scoring 12 goals in 15 league matches and adding a further six strikes in the UEFA Cup.

'Never stop'
"I never want this dream to end," said Žigic after hearing of the award. "Six months ago, I played in the third division [for FK Spartak], and now I am the best. Thanks for everything, I cannot say anything more."

Club-mates frustrated
Žigic finished ahead of two of his team-mates, with defender Nemanja Vidic, who is also the Crvena Zvezda captain, in second place and midfield player Dragan Mladenovic third.

Stankovic success
Vecernje novosti, the newspaper which organised the poll, named S.S. Lazio midfield player Dejan Stankovic international player of the year. Real Sociedad de Fútbol forward Darko Kovacevic was second and PSV Eindhoven striker Mateja Kezman was third.

---------------------------------

i think this choice is very relevant. Vidic and Mladenovic were particularly impressive too. Mladenovic can become a key player for the NT too. Jokanovic is replaced i think. ;)

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Congrats to Zigic, he has really shown his value so far this year in the league.
Perhaps in a couple years time he can keep it up, and if so, I could see him being an important player for the NT.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
Way too early for him to get such recognition. His heading skills are amazing but the rest of his game particularly dribbling needs a lot of work.

These prizes get scouts on their feet and he's not ready yet for a move.

I'd much rather have seen it go to Mladenovic.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Drulo I agree with you in that it was too early for Zigic to be anmed player of the year. I think the press has been a little too excited by his goalscoring. Also, the man has only played one half-season in the top flight while for the first part of the year he played in division III. Clearly he cannot be player of the year...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
This selection of tne player of the year by team captains is little reflective of the quality of players. For example, Dejan Stankvic, who has undoubtly among the best and most successful playerers of his generation, has never been selected to be the player of the year. Pleayers that were selected at that time (even twice in the row) are today anonimous. Similar with Vidic; last year he was among best SiCG players (outstanding performances for the NT, outstending performances in the UEFA Cup, and outstanding performance for his club). Yet, Vukic carried the title although he did not even play for the NT.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Ben

I heard that Vukic got the award because Valjak, Andrija, Milenko and Co were the judges.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts