Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In Pep, We Trust!
Joined
·
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=318028&cc=5739

Real Madrid midfielder Zinedine Zidane believes that league leaders Barcelona may not last the pace until the end of the season even if they are outplaying his side at the moment.
'Right now there is a big difference between the two teams and there is no doubt that Barca are playing much better than us,' the Frenchman told a news conference on Wednesday.


'But last season we were going very well and then fell apart in the last two months and the same thing could happen to them.

'What's more, they are only using 13 or 14 players and that doesn't help. We have to be close to them in the table so that we can take advantage if they slip up.'

Barca lead Real by seven points after 13 games, having lost just one league match this season, but they have been plagued by a series of serious injuries that have left them short of cover in key positions.

Last season Real led the table for 17 games, but self-destructed in the run-in, losing six of their last seven matches to finish in fourth place in the table and without any silverware for the first time in five years.

'It could be us who end up finishing the strongest this time, just like Barca did last season,' said Zidane. 'I'm convinced that we'll do something important this season and end up with a trophy.'

The former Juventus player dismissed suggestions that Real's cycle of success had come to an end.

'I don't think that's the case,' he said. 'All that can be said is that we aren't playing as well as we did a year or two ago, but we haven't finished a cycle.

'There are only two or three players in the squad who are over 32, others are only 28 or 25 ... In any case I'm the oldest and it isn't time to get rid of us yet.

'We aren't in the position we would like to be, but we'll finish the season playing 100 percent. If we don't win something then changes will have to be made, but I'm convinced we've still got a great team.'

Zidane said he was recovering from the back problems that kept him out of Real's 5-0 win over Levante at the weekend and hoped to be fit for Sunday's league match at Villarreal and the crunch Champions League game at AS Roma the following Wednesday.

Real need to win their final Group B game against the already eliminated Italians in order to ensure they qualify for the knockout stages.

The match will be played behind close doors as part of the punishment given to Roma by UEFA for incidents that occurred in an earlier home game against Dynamo Kiev.

'It will be a strange game because there will be no fans,' said Zidane.

'But all that counts is that we get through. Whether we play well or badly doesn't matter, the important thing is to stay in the Champions League.'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
We won't play superb all the season but I don't think that what happened to Real Madrid the last season will happen to us. Our players are younger. Besides, we'll fail some weeks but Real Madrid will fail too.. they won't win all the games.

..and he's right, Barça are playing much better than Real Madrid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Zidane: I'm old and washed up.

True, maybe we won't but we are hungrier and are in a different situation than Madrid last season. For one, we actually have decent defenders, and we have the best player in the world.
 

·
The Ties That Bind
Joined
·
16,234 Posts
zyad said:
HEY ZIZOU: How many players out of your entire squad does your "coach" use? 11 or 12? :finger: :rollani:
Exactly. And w/o injuries have much more quality depth. Probably even with injuries at that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,636 Posts
Amor8522 said:
So he means any team in the world which lead the league must lose et the end like Madrid last season..
Actually, I think he means that you don't consider any title wrapped up before everything's all over since many hot starting teams have finished the year poorly before, not just Real Madrid. And I do think he's right when he insinuates that any celebrations at this point are premature.

Anyway, is that right? A closed door match? That'll be very strange indeed.
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
MAD Fan said:
Actually, I think he means that you don't consider any title wrapped up before everything's all over since many hot starting teams have finished the year poorly before, not just Real Madrid. And I do think he's right when he insinuates that any celebrations at this point are premature.

Anyway, is that right? A closed door match? That'll be very strange indeed.
Yes, we didn't win anything yet, but Real Madrid is always comparing Barça's situation with Real Madrid's one last season and that's false. Real Madrid never played that well as a team, they always depended on Ronaldo and Casillas, while Barça's success rely on the team. Real Madrid played 3 competitions, while Barça will play only one match per week until the end of february. Finally, what happened to Real Madrid last season was very strange. After losing the Copa final, they lost almost everything, and this kind of things do not happen very often.

7 points are not that much and we'll probably have a bad moment, everything depends on how we react at that point. Also Madrid will have bad moments too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
its all part of the cold war between Madrid & barcelona, i think that these so called stars of madrid are without shame :wth: they never turn down a chance to try and diss the way barca are playing at the moment,
you know what Zidane, even if Barca dont win the title at the end (how i dont know :confused: ) i would still be proud of the way they are playing at the moment, sheer class
ps: being a great player doesnt mean that he has to make sense, or that i have to listen to what he says
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Amor8522 said:
So he means any team in the world which lead the league must lose et the end like Madrid last season..
What he actually said was that leading with 7 points doesn't neccessarily mean that we have won already.
But it's always refreshing to bash a RM player, especially the ones who's career has a steep southbound curve. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
if this guy knew what's best for him he would shut the f**k up. i dont see him playing any good football that oldie.

we're gonna rape his silly arrogant team
 

·
Freedom for all
Joined
·
16,851 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Yes, we didn't win anything yet, but Real Madrid is always comparing Barça's situation with Real Madrid's one last season and that's false. Real Madrid never played that well as a team, they always depended on Ronaldo and Casillas, while Barça's success rely on the team. Real Madrid played 3 competitions, while Barça will play only one match per week until the end of february. Finally, what happened to Real Madrid last season was very strange. After losing the Copa final, they lost almost everything, and this kind of things do not happen very often.

7 points are not that much and we'll probably have a bad moment, everything depends on how we react at that point. Also Madrid will have bad moments too.
This is correct. It's not the same for every team. Madrid's entire season was hanging on 4 or 5 guys the whole year, and frankly, they did exceptionally well to last as long as they did. The differences here are the players are younger, more hungry and determined, there are MORE players who are considered "Key" relative to backup players, we have a system of rotation whereas Perez wouldn't allow Quieroz (sp?) to drop the big names ever, and the morale with us is better, since all the players are valued by the management, as opposed to most of Madrid's squad effectively being told by Perez that since they don't sell shirts they don't matter.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top