Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday, July 3, 2002

Zico set to become new Japan coach

TOKYO, July 3 (Reuters) - Former Brazil international Zico is the leading candidate to take over from Frenchman Philippe Troussier as coach of Japan, the Japan Football Association (JFA) confirmed on Wednesday.

Zico, who has been at J-League champions Kashima Antlers in either a playing or a coaching capacity since 1991, is expected to sign a four-year deal up to the 2006 World Cup.

'The terms of his contract still have to be approved at the executive board meeting (on July 20),' said JFA President Shunichiro Okano.

JFA officials said that they had identified other candidates if they could not reach an agreement with Zico.

'There are still things like salary and a lot of other conditions to sort out, so it is not decided yet. He is one of the names on our list,' JFA press manager Hideto Teshima said.

The shortlist is also thought to include Aime Jacquet, who masterminded France's World Cup triumph in 1998, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Bora Milutinovic, available after taking China to their first World Cup.

STEPPED DOWN

Troussier, who took charge in September 1998, stepped down after guiding the co-hosts to the second round of the World Cup, where they lost 1-0 to Turkey.

Zico was part of arguably the best team not to win the World Cup when Brazil went out 3-2 to a Paolo Rossi hat-trick in Spain in 1982.

The 49-year-old played alongside another former Japan coach, Falcao, in the Brazilian midfield.

Meanwhile, Okano praised the work of Troussier at a press conference in Tokyo and declared that the first Asian World Cup had been a 'great success'.

He said: 'The way it was run was hugely successful and Asian teams made a big impression on the world game. Asian sides have made great progress in every area.'

Co-hosts South Korea were one of the major stories of the World Cup as they reached the semi-finals under Dutchman Guus Hiddink.

However, China lost all three games in their first appearance, while Saudi Arabia also finished without a point after being crushed 8-0 by Germany in their opening game.

soccernet ;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Zico Pondering Japan Offer
News Archive

07/04/2002. Brazilian legend Zico is pondering the invitation to replace Philippe Troussier as Japan's national team manager.

"I am honoured to be a candidate for such a position but I cannot answer for a few days", he said moments before boarding a plane to Brazil at Narita International Airport in Tokyo.

"The terms of the contract are not a big issue. If we come to an agreement, I am ready to accept the job."

Zico had a meeting with representatives from the Japanese Football Association last night.

"There is no rush for the agreement. I want to negotiate more with the Association, but if I do accept the contract I want to make a team that is as strong as Brazil", he added.

soccerage ;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zico poised to accept Japan job

Sunday 7th July 2002

Brazil legend Zico has confirmed that he intends to take over as Japan coach after being offered the job by Japan Football Association (JFA) president-elect Saburo Kawabuchi.

"I won't be able to come to a conclusion in one or two days, but I intend to accept the job once we iron out the details," Zico said.

The 49-year-old is expected to be unveiled as Philippe Troussier's successor on July 15 with the deal concluded by the middle of next week.

"I think if we aim for that date and we can work together, it can be done," the former Flamengo star went on. "But this is not something I can jump into. This is something important and there is no need to rush through the talks.

"I had formal talks with Kawabuchi on Wednesday. I was honoured to be offered this post. I never expected this and I will have to change my life plans if I take it."

Zico has been working in Japan since the advent of the J.League in 1993, when he joined Kashima Antlers, but has no formal coaching experience.

He has worked as Kashima's general manager, technical advisor and as a stop-gap interim coach but has never taken full control of the club on a permanent basis.

Kawabuchi, who will take over as JFA president on July 20, replacing Shunichiro Kano, has long been an admirer of Zico as a result of the Brazilian's huge contribution to Japanese football in the early 90s.

"I will aim to get the team to play football of winners, to win many titles as we have succeeded at Kashima," said Zico. "To play strong football like Brazil."

Kashima have won four of the nine J.League titles so far and in 2000 became the first Japanese team to complete the domestic treble of league, Emperor's Cup and Nabisco Cup.

Under Troussier, Japan won the Asian Cup in Lebanon in 2000 before going on to reach the second round of the World Cup finals this year, the first time Japan have progressed beyond the group stages.

onefootball :)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Zico Is Full Of Shiit

The key point in here is Zico's announced goal of making Japan as competitive as Brazil. How would he do it? Does he intend to do it through some secret training drills? Or by some mysterious trick only he knows? Parreira and others tried taking the Brazilian style to other countries, with very limited success. What are Zico's secret plans?

Maybe he intends to just pick two or three unknown Brazilians and give 'em Japanese passports so they could play for Japan? That might work. :rollani: Some people might argue that they wouldn't be true Japanese players, but after Italy called Altafini/Mazzola in the '60s, Spain called up Nonato and Catanha, and Germany called up Paulo Rink, who would be able to complain?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's official...

Thursday, July 11, 2002
Zico accepts job with Japan

RIO DE JANEIRO, July 11 (Reuters) - Former Brazil international Zico has accepted the job of Japan coach, the 49-year-old has confirmed. He was offered the post eight days ago.
Zico, who has been at J-League champions Kashima Antlers as a player or coach since 1991, will begin his new role on July 20 ahead of next month's friendly against China.

He replaces Frenchman Philippe Troussier, who stepped down after leading Japan to the second round of the World Cup finals last month.

'The Japanese interest was a big surprise as I haven't got much experience as a coach,' the former Flamengo player told a media conference.

The former midfielder was part of Brazil World Cup team that lost 3-2 to Italy in the second round of the 1982 tournament in Spain.

He said he had initially wanted to be co-ordinator of Japan's national squad, but the Japan Football Association preferred him to take on the coach's role.

'I always said the last thing I wanted to do was be a football coach, but in life you can never say never,' Zico added.

Japan play China on August 22 in Beijing and are hoping for another friendly match against Argentina in November - part of Zico's strategy to get as many games under his belt as possible.

CO-ORDINATION PROBLEM

Zico said one of the main problems he faced was a lack of co-ordination between Japanese clubs and the national side, a difficulty he had first-hand experience of during his spell at Kashima.

'In one Asian Cup final, eight of our players were called up for a training session and we lost the title,' Zico said.

Troussier, who took over the helm in September 1998, stepped down after Japan were beaten by Turkey in the second round of the World Cup.

But Zico said Japan had their work cut out to qualify for the next World Cup in Germany in 2006.

'Other national teams from the continent will be striving in the qualifying rounds to put an end to the supremacy of Japan and (South) Korea,' he said.

Co-hosts South Korea were the revelation of the World Cup, reaching the semi-finals with a mixture of flair and grit usually associated with South American teams.

Zico said it was that combination he planned to bring out.

'They (Japan) possess the same physique and approach to football as we do,' he said. 'Almost all the coaches that succeed there are Brazilians or Argentines. Hiring me is a result of that.'

soccernet ;_

1 - 5 of 5 Posts