Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bolo Zenden is off to Lazio for 2.200 million pesetas ($12 million). This deal should bring along the signing of Overmars. I am confused about this whole situation.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I think we all will be very confused if we sign Overmars....
But Bolo's dad was quoted Barça hadn't agreed to that deal yet. But apparently we have now. Everybody knows I like Zenden a lot, so I'm a bit dissapointed. I just hope he doesn't end up as our previous #23 who also went to Lazio...

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a rumor that our previous #23 would be returning as part of that deal, but his agent has denied this. Too bad, I hope he comes back.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I have to say it - whoever let this pearl go is a faghet, it's that simple. I should be happy, but it makes me mad to see morons that can't even tell the talent and skills in this guy. Easily the best Dutch talent in the world now, easily IMO better than oVERMARS, overall some kind of a wacko transfer. For once Barca have completely flopped on the transfer market, I expected the whole dutch contingent to go, even Frank de Boer, but Zenden! My God, I am really still amazed,how stupid you can be?

·
Registered
138 Posts
So after the Zenden deal is almost perfect and Overmars is more than likely to play for Barça next season, I'm wondering if this deal makes ANY kind of sense.
Zenden was together with Kluivert and Bergkamp obviously Hollands best player at Euro 2000, together with Nedved he should be considered as the best left-sided player at Euro 2000! Speaking for Barcelona in 1999/2000, Zenden had great performances whereever he had to play (left wing, left back, half left offensive midfield), and he never complained when he had to sit on the bench. And you always have to remember: This guy is just 23, so his best years are still to come!
So, WHAT was the reason to sell such a classy player for just $12 million? This transfer fee is RIDICULOUS! In times where clubs spend $44 million for two average Italian players (Stefano Fiore and Giuliano Giannichedda to SS Lazio), Barça sells a top class left wing for $12 million? I can't believe it!!!

And who do we get as replacement? Marc Overmars! Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad player, but he completely failed to impress in the first Dutch Euro 2000 game against the Czechs when playing on the left side, and only showed average football in the following games; Zenden played way better!
Zenden is as quick as Overmars but has great crossing qualities, Overmars doesn't have! And: Zenden is by far more flexible; you could use Zenden (as I've described above) on the left wing, and he can play as left back and at central midfield! Overmars can only play on the wing!

So, can somebody tell me: WHY?????

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
I think the general feeling in BCN is that Zenden is not up to Barça's standards. I don't know in which matches in particular he is supposed to have played well but I haven't seen them. Fans often make fun of him and Simao by singing their names and "bota de oro" to the tune of Guantanamera.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I agree with Roger. I watched Euro 2000 and all I saw was Zenden running up and down like a headless chicken, giving the ball away. I admit he tries hard but he is just not good enough to play for Barca. So what if he can play in more than one position - that is only good when we have lots of injuries. I think Barca have done very well out of the deal. Saying that I hope we do not buy Overmars. We should be buying defenders who know how to defend (ie Montero, Cannavaro, Nesta, Thuram, Desailly).

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Zenden, along with Bergkamp, Kluivert, Davids and F De Boer were the best dutch players at euro2000. Rijkaard was foolish to take Zenden off against Italy because he was the only player really causing a threat.
I think the Zenden sale was for fairly cheap but that is good for us(Lazio), I just hope he will play as well as Sergio did.
Overmars is a good replacement for Zenden, he belongs in a top club like Barcelona.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Latest news here in Holland:
Zenden's father said Boudewijn only had a little chat with Cragnotti. Lazio hasn't talked officially with Barça yet, but Barça doesn't mind selling him (The question "Why?" can not be banned out of my mind). Zenden himself will decide Monday whether he makes a move to Lazio or stays at Barça.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
People who really amaze me are guys like this Hristo pal - Zenden didn't impress you at EURO 2000? Well, congrats mr. because you must be one hell of a dork. He was IMO easily Hollands best player in the tournament, outclassed overmars by a mile, showed great finishing skills overall the man on the left side - the best. Nedved was good, but he is always so perhy, liking to show of like he's the best player in the world:( Zenden and perhaps Beergkamp were the best players and if you sell him for 12 mln$, well there is something seriously wrong. Especially, as someone pointed out Giannchedda comes on for more - no offense he's a great player, but nowhere near to Zenden.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that Zenden played very good in Euro2000, but i think all us Barca fans must think, Why has he never done that for us? We all can admit that he has never played that well for Barca. I do admire his will to win and his heart, but i have not been overly impressed by any of his performances "for Barca" in the last 2 years. That being said, he is still a young player and has lots of time to develop. Also, he was one of the best at Euro2000, so how can we sell him for so little. I think we should not sell him for less than $20 million.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
He has only played the 2nd half of the last season, and you have to admit: we were a sinking ship then. No one was playing at the level he should, and even the best players would suck in that situation. If we plan to play wings we should keep him, if SF plans not to play wings, we should sell him. But indeed not for less than 20 million.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get this!!! When Lazio officials came to pay the transfer fee of $12 million they found out that the price had been raised to $22 million. So the deal has not gone through yet. Apparently we want to see what happens with Figo before we let Bolo leave.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Just when Zenden agreed to it (at least: when that was reported in Dutch press), Barça doesn't agree.... Barça just made my day :) again :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts