Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Basque historic forward Zarra dies at 85

Historic forward who played 16 seasons for the red and white striped team was awarded top-scorer prize six times.

Telmo Zarraonandia aka "Zarra"Athletic Bilbao Club legendary forward Telmo Zarraonandia, known as Zarra, died on Thursday at the age of 85, medical care sources reported.

He was one of the most famous Athletic forwards along with Iriondo, Venancio, Panizo and Gainza. He played 16 seasons with the Bilbao team and won the Pichichi award six times. A prize granted for the top-scorer for each season.

Zarra was the all-time record scorer in the Primera Liga, notching up 251 goals in 277 games in 15 seasons at Athletic Bilbao during the 1940s and 1950s.

He was top scorer in the first division on six occasions, netting a record 38 times in the 1950-51 season when there were only 16 teams and scoring 20 goals in seven games in the 1946-47 campaign.

He won four Spanish Cups and one league title with Bilbao.

Zarra scored 20 goals in 20 appearances for Spain, including the winner in their famous 1-0 victory over England in the 1950 World Cup in Brazil.

"Zarra was a symbol for Athletic fans," Athletic Bilbao president Fernando Lamikiz was quoted as saying to the Basque radio station "Euskadi Irratia".

Despite the funeral service is not scheduled yet, Lamikiz stated that the team from Bilbao would be present at the last farewell to Zarra.

In addition to this, Zarraonandia will be honoured next week at the match against Villarreal.

A man has died today, the legend will remain forever.

Regards from Barcelona. :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
Rest In Peace

i think its great how you barca fans and other fans have paid respects to some one who played for a rival club. i have not seen him play but have heard of his legend. R.I.P how athletic could do with a player like him now

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
R.I.P... a legend forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts