Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to what the opinion from Argentina fans are on Zanetti's prospects for the national team. He's the most capped player ever, and he's a legend, but will he make it to the world cup?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But he's still playing in the qualifications. If he isn't going to play in the WC, why is he playing in the qualification?

Personally, I think he's still pretty good and can make it to the 2008 WC as a player. He's more fit than Veron, at least.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Basile is a moron, that's why. The fact that Zanetti and even Veron are still playing in the Q is the mistake that has to be corrected.

I have nothing against both of them. On their prime time, I mean 4 - 10 years ago, they are my fav. But we have to live the future not the past.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
The difference between Zanetti and Veron however is that Zanetti is getting even more and more respect because of his performances in the Serie A and in the Champions League whereas Veron doesn't even play in the Champions League and was sold by his team in the Serie A.

Apples and Oranges, one is still as good as he ever was whereas the other isn't.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Basile is a moron, that's why. The fact that Zanetti and even Veron are still playing in the Q is the mistake that has to be corrected.

I have nothing against both of them. On their prime time, I mean 4 - 10 years ago, they are my fav. But we have to live the future not the past.
I Agree

Plus the 3 pure DM in a formation is another reason why Basile is a moron

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
he should be there, t least on the bench.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts

Fair enough, but surely in order to get rid of an established player who offers experience and still does the job perfectly you should have a RB ready to replace him...many of you are saying Zabaleta (god I hope you are not talking about the Man City RB???) some even suggested Coloccini and Burdisso there or who was that chump at the 2006 WC who was uter shite? This is what I mean, the players available at the moment are worse than JZ, alot worse, having these players instead does not increase your chances at the WC.

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing a RB worthy to take JZ`s spot, he aint getting any younger and the long flights will start to take its toll I should imagine...although JZ is a bit of monter

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Topic ^

YEA! No ifs or Buts, when he is fit enough.

Colocini, Scaloni, Zabaleta?

maaaaan that shouldnt even be a question.

Undoubtedly ARG has a LOT of Fanatastic Players. Still, JZ is JZ.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It's hard to replace Zanetti. But why would bother with the decent RB replcement, if Arg have more than enough CB.

If the head coach is smart enough, switch the tactics from 4-4-2 to 3-x-x. That would solve the RB/LB problem.

Btw, in 2010, Zanetti wouldn't be any younger. It will be hard for him against modern rapid winger like Ronaldo, Quaresma, etc.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
It's hard to replace Zanetti. But why would bother with the decent RB replcement, if Arg have more than enough CB.

If the head coach is smart enough, switch the tactics from 4-4-2 to 3-x-x. That would solve the RB/LB problem.

Btw, in 2010, Zanetti wouldn't be any younger. It will be hard for him against modern rapid winger like Ronaldo, Quaresma, etc.
If your changing tactics to 3 CB`s then its a different matter :thumbsup: but if the coach is planning a back line made of 4 players you currently dont have any RB worthy to take JZ position - at least none around Europe, if someone comes out of nowehere and is a good player fair enough, but seeing Scaloni playing at RB when he couldnt even get into the west ham team was a big joke.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
of course scaloni is not worth for JZ shoes.

Zabaleta is a better option. But honestly, playing with 3 CBs is a lot better options because at the moment Arg are strong in this dept.

With 3 CBs, means the team has 1 empty slot for fielding another attacker which is also another strong dept that we have at the moment.

Unfortunately as i said earlier, basile moron

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Basile does play 3-x-x, but with Zanetti as the right midfielder (like he plays at Inter). Of course, this role is a compromise between RB and a real right midfielder.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Zanetti in the midfield is a waste of space and of his talent now, NOW and when he was 20 years old...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I believe he used to play as RB for Argentina a while back (like at the Copa 2007 and earlier qualifiers). He only plays as defensive right midfielder now because that's now his natural position at Inter.

·
18,041 Posts
But is a position that in Argentina he is no needed...we can play with 50 classy DMs if we need defense, we can actually use a false wide off player like Tevez or Messi, or real wingers like Di Maria lately or whomever...he is BTW ina very low level regarding the NT, looking like in the Nt age is finally catching him...still he is my RB..

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In terms of position, Zanetti is not the same as Mascherano or Cambiasso. Zanetti is a wide defensive midfielder. Mascherano is a central defensive midfielder. (and for the record, Cambiasso is a box to box midfielder). Also, Playing Zanetti in the midfield fills the roll of the RB, whereas if you put Mascerano there, you would not have midfielder also doubling as a RB.

Argentina has wide attacking players, but no wide defensive players. Unless you drop the wide defense on the right side, then Zanetti has a role in the team.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
JZ shouldnt be playing in midfield Talus, he cant control the ball, his tactical awareness is meh and he doesnt even hustle people. RB or LB should be his positions, if there are better alterntives it means he can stay in Milano not having to do long trips.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with your comment about tactical awareness, but not about ball control. JZ is excellent in ball control. However, he's somewhat lacking in terms of passing (again, referring to tactical awareness). I think that he works well in Inter's midfield. Maicon, although an RB, is actually a winger, and JZ is more of a defender, and I think this has worked very well. He's now supported by Quaresma, so he no longer has to ship balls up to Ibra.

·
18,041 Posts
In Inter maybe, but not in Argentina...he is a luxury in the middle, in fact many times Cambiasso also is...is time for new players, thougth these two I welcome with open arms in the next world cup if they stay fit...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts