Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about uefa.com team of the year.

Zambrotta have been nothing but outstanding in his new role at the left back, and I think he's been doing more into Juve's game in 2003 than Roberto Carlos did for Real.
But still, the vote goes for Roberto Carlos.
No, I'm not saying that it's THAT wrong, as everytime you said left back Roberto Carlos is the 1st thing that comes to mind, but I think Zambo has been underrated in most cases.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Roberto Carlos is i think still top dog for the leftback position, so it's not unexpected that he got the majority of votes. Rather, it was the choice for rightback on the UEFA team of the year that was quite baffling...

Zambrotta has come a long way and anyone who has watched him consistently, knows that he is one of the best leftbacks in world at the moment. He may not have some of the superhuman attributes RC has, but he is very good both offensively and defensively.

RC is a true 'Galactico' and i think it'll take a bit more time before Zambrotta can challenge his crown for top leftback.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
R.Carlos has reputation. I think it'll very arguable to say that Zambrotta had a better year. R.Carlos is a great player, had a great year but he'll most probably win the award as long as he plays. It'll be the same reason why Zidane won the FIFA World Player of the Year 2003 award.

No di$$ing R.Carlos/Zidane though. :) 2 of the best players out of their generation.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
RC can win games more often than anyother leftback. So I rather have him on my team then any other more skilled defensive LB.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Liternit said:
RC can win games more often than anyother leftback. So I rather have him on my team then any other more skilled defensive LB.
me too.

Maldini is brill.... but he can't be considered that he defined the position?? Defined in what terms??? He din't change the way the position is looked upon like Zagallo did with a left wing, or like Romario did with the center forward position.... or even how Garrincha did with the right wing etc..

·
1st Tier Poster
48,647 Posts
Liternit said:
Originally posted by Ze da Fiel
Maldini is brill.... but he can't be considered that he defined the position?? Defined in what terms??? He din't change the way the position is looked upon like Zagallo did with a left wing, or like Romario did with the center forward position.... or even how Garrincha did with the right wing etc..
Yes, he can win games and practically plays as left back and left midfielder at the same time, but his gung-ho style would be unthinkable in most teams.His pace and work rate are fantastic, but fact is that his defensive skills are average.Of course he makes it up with his offensive skills and he is rightfully rated as the best left-back in the world at the moment.But he does not come close to Maldini at his prime if we are talking about standard left back position.For left back defensive skills are more important than offensive skills.Left back is a DEFENDER.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Impossible for most teams? Hell tell that to our NT we won 5 WC playing with both LB/RB attacking. As long as there is cover its possible and its the best way to have wing play, much better than having wingers.

Cafu is another example of how it works well

And we are not talking about standart left back here, we are talking about RC. That even with his so called gung-ho style have won it all!!

CHL
WC
LA LIGA
BRASILEIRO
LIBERTADORES

And many more, there is not even a point in discussing this :)

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Liternit said:
Impossible for most teams? Hell tell that to our NT we won 5 WC playing with both LB/RB attacking. As long as there is cover its possible and its the best way to have wing play, much better than having wingers.

Cafu is another example of how it works well

And we are not talking about standart left back here, we are talking about RC. That even with his so called gung-ho style have won it all!!

CHL
WC
LA LIGA
BRASILEIRO
LIBERTADORES

And many more, there is not even a point in discussing this :)
It's gonna rain.. i agree with Liternit in something:yuck: :howler: :howler: :howler:

Dude,

In Brazil a left back has to attack. If he does not attack he will not play as a left back.. simple as that. I doubt Maldini would have gained 50% of his caps that he gained for Italy, if he tried to be a left back in Brazil. In Brazil he would have been switched to the central defense position very quickly in his career.

So your definition of "left back" is very vague and not precise to the different variations of the position across the world. Let alone when you think of a team that plays a 352 european foramtion, which RC falls like a glove into the position;)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Zambrotta...more balanced...and what the hell with the new defination of Left-back...Left back means a player who plays as a defender in the left hand side of the field and helps in attack occasianoly...Maldini is just superb...its a disgrace to rate any current LB alongside maldini let alone carlos...Some ppl here are really biased about carlos...

·
Super Moderator
13,648 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
In Brazil a left back has to attack. If he does not attack he will not play as a left back.. simple as that. I doubt Maldini would have gained 50% of his caps that he gained for Italy, if he tried to be a left back in Brazil. In Brazil he would have been switched to the central defense position very quickly in his career.

So your definition of "left back" is very vague and not precise to the different variations of the position across the world. Let alone when you think of a team that plays a 352 european foramtion, which RC falls like a glove into the position
1) Roberto Carlos has actually failed in Italy. Though it was with Inter... :rolleyes:
2)Roberto Carlos as a fullback, in Italy, would have very likely beeen switched to a left midfielder very early under your reasoning, so what's the point you want to make with that?
3)Your definition of left back is pretty much this:
Brazilian Attacking Leftback aka Roberto Carlos.
Guess what? Mine is Paolo Maldini.
4) Didn't Maldini fall like a glove in a certain 4-4-2 a while ago?

The whole idea of a player "defining the position" is garbage.
Extremely subjective.

Now, comparing them as players, I believe Maldini is simply better. A much more complete fullback, and a very strong character to have in any team.

By the way, Roberto Carlos is still better than Zambrotta right now.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Maldini is a great defensive left back, but thats about it. Can you win a game defending? Just look at RC impact at RM when he joined, they pretty much won everything after that and he was a huge part of their sucess.

Maldini has huge class and I never seen anyone tackle as good as him, but if I had to pick him or RC for that position I would pick RC and put Maldini in CB or DM 2 places he would shine just as much if not more. Like now ;)

And again you guys are a joke, RC failed in Italy big woop and if you think they would make him a DM then thank god he boombed at Italy. Cafu seems really well doing what you guys think its impossible and how old is he? :howler:

·
Super Moderator
13,648 Posts
Liternit said:
Maldini is a great defensive left back, but thats about it. Can you win a game defending? Just look at RC impact at RM when he joined, they pretty much won everything after that and he was a huge part of their sucess.

Maldini has huge class and I never seen anyone tackle as good as him, but if I had to pick him or RC for that position I would pick RC and put Maldini in CB or DM 2 places he would shine just as much if not more. Like now ;)

And again you guys are a joke, RC failed in Italy big woop and if you think they would make him a DM then thank god he boombed at Italy. Cafu seems really well doing what you guys think its impossible and how old is he? :howler:
That's it, classical Liternit generalizing. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is that as good as R.C. is at attacking -at the very least-, Maldini is at defending.

And to say that Maldini is "just" a defensive leftback is beyond crap.

He had great crossing with both feet.
Good dribbling.
Win headers and score goals with his head.
Good passing.
And the personality factor that is very important, in which Maldini is clearly superior.
Paolo would 've never been booed by the San Siro crowd, and actually by any crowd in the world.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,489 Posts
Roberto Carlos is not even the best Brazilian left-back of all-time!

Paolo Maldini is considered one of the top 4 defenders in history IMO better than Baresi and Moore (at this point). Only Beckenbauer can truly give him a run for his money. In my eyes he is the best Italian defender of all-time he has to be.

Paolo Maldini in his prime was light years ahead of Roberto Carlos. Even today at age of 35 he is arguably the defender alongside Alessandro Nesta.

Do you think Roberto Carlos will play as a CB when he reaches that age? NO! simply because he is not good enough, once RC loses his speed he is DONE. We are seeing this happen already, he has played like POOP since the beginning of this new year. Paolo Maldini is still going strong.

Please don't compare a TRUE legend with some paper champion.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
So just because RC got booed that makes him a worse player? As much carisma Maldine has he probably will never win the same number of trophies or have the same impact RC had.

If I don´t rate Maldini foward game you do the same to RC defensive skills, even when he pushes foward he still recovers as fast as anyone and its not easy passing by him. He still is one of RM best defenders, that might not mean much but he has been put to test againts the top fowards of our time and has always faired pretty well.

ps. And you don´t make generalizations? I was going to go through your generalizations but that would be a waste of time. So please spare me the personal tease ;)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Maldini03 said:
Since you like to compare awards and goals scored why don´t you make a list of trophies Maldine has that RC is yet to won?

Take your time, I won´t travel this weekend ;)

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,489 Posts
So just because RC got booed that makes him a worse player? As much carisma Maldine has he probably will never win the same number of trophies or have the same impact RC had.
Paolo Maldini has won 21 total trophies way more than R.C.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts