Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it has been posted elsewhere (it is very interesting):

Zaccheroni invents a unique offside indicator (from daily soccer)

MILAN, July 4 - by Nadia Carminati (DS) He's actually unemployed but former AC Milan and Lazio's coach Alberto Zaccheroni knows how to spend his spare time: inventing a new soccer application for offside. The unusual news was posted yesterday by daily newspaper "La Repubblica", that presented many details about this invention, also noting that Zaccheroni patented it and presented the proposal to the Italian Football Federation, from which no answer has yet arrived.

But what is this invention to avoid disucssions about the offside trap? Zaccheroni starts from the scientific conviction that the referee's assistants have big difficulties seeing the shot and the player who received the ball at the same time: so in his plan, the fourth official will have a major role of importance. In fact he should have an electronic signaller he has to push when the shot or pass is taken, and the signal will arrive to the assistant's flag. On the other hand, the assistant will push the button on his flag if the player has passed the opponent's defensive line. If the impulse of the fourth official arrives before that of the assistant's one the action will be ruled legal, otherwise it will surely be offside. Zaccheroni also performed many tests and the error margin was remarkably reduced. What do you think? Is it a good idea, to solve at least some of the discussions about offside?

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Anything, or anybody that can help reduce the erroneous off-sides calls is welcomed, and so is this invention by "Leonardo Da Zaccheroni" .

But will FIFA move on this ??? No way Jose !!! :mute:

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Sounds good on paper, but not sure if it really works. And Colocolo is right, I guess. FIFA won't move on this unless it benefits them in some way (monetary is my guess, :tongue: )

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Wouldn't that be dependent on the officials' reaction times. For example, i believe that the fastest legal start that can be made in the 100m is 0.15 seconds after the gun goes off. Asuming the officials have good reactions (unlikely given their probable age), the timing of the thing could be out by 0.3 seconds. How far can Micheal Owen move in 0.3 of a second? A long, long way...

FIFA wont use this because its not really very well thought out.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Well it said in testing it worked well so why SO MUCH doubt

Lav

·
94,480 Posts
Lav said:
Well it said in testing it worked well so why SO MUCH doubt

Lav
Because the contraption has to be sold to a bunch of Morons (Fifa)

:lala:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
so let me get this right. FIFA is a bunch of morons because they wont invest in a system which could very well be ill thought-out, but hey so long as we get a chance to bash FIFA, who cares. A comment such as "it worked well in testing" means this is the device to save the world game...dont think so...

I think I hear another band-wagon...

·
94,480 Posts
Further responses to Zaccheroni's offside proposal

www.dailysoccer.com

Last week we reported former AC Milan and Lazio coach Alberto Zaccheroni's invention that aids officials in judging whether a player is offside or not...

'Zaccheroni starts with the scientific conviction that the referee's assistants have big difficulties seeing the shot and the player who received the ball at the same time: so in his plan, the fourth official will have a major role of importance. In fact he should have an electronic signaller he has to push when the shot or pass is taken, and the signal will arrive to the assistant's flag. On the other hand, the assistant will push the button on his flag if the player has passed the opponent's defensive line. If the impulse of the fourth official arrives before that of the assistant's one the action will be ruled legal, otherwise it will surely be offside'.

The proposal continues to prompt plenty of responses, all of which are in favour of Zaccheroni's invention. One reader comically suggested 'why not ask Sepp Blatter to be the fourth official?', while Constantin Draganoiu presents an even more technological method of judging offside decisions. But how much of a role should technology be given in deciding matters on the football field? Kenth TAM says that over 50% of offside decisions are wrong, but that figure is surely greatly exaggerated. He says 'never say no to any electronic technology', but do we really want to see the beautiful game largely ruled by computer decisions? Something has to be changed, but to what extent?

[email protected]

Dear editor,
I read the news about Alberto Zaccheroni's offside rule proposal and I think that's a good concept. But, I have an even better solution that will take adventage of today's technological features.

It will have to start with a new type of "flag". It will be an electronic "flag" with two different kind of lights inside. One will be red and the other green. The light will be activated by the position of the "stick" it will be at the end of. When the stick with the light at the end will be down, toward the ground the light will be green all the time. When the stick will be raised up the light will turn red. The light will stay green if the four official will activate a button that he would push every time the ball was kick forward by an attacking team player. If the push button of the fourth referee is pushed after the ball was struck, the light will stay green. This way everyone will be free to observe the game without thinking about what they need to do, except for the fouth referee (but that's what he's paid for!).

PS I'm sending this message to other organizations too since I'd like to have this "innovation" patent under my name.
constantin draganoiu

Dear dailysoccer editor,
This is very good idea. At least over 50% of offside decisions are wrongly decided by the referee. It is very obvious especially via the modern replay TV technology, many offsides are actually faulty decided. The use of electronics communications by referee must be a positive way to solve the problems. I am sure there will be more beautiful goals for the game and the defenders will become more and more busy.

However, I think other problems will be created. When the players pass the ball quickly, the side referee will receive a lot of signals within a second and this will make him confused. Anyway, especially after such a terrible refereeing standard at the world cup, such a method should be adopted and tested as soon as possible. The result ?
Just let the whole world of soccer fans discuss. Please never say NO to any electronic technology !! I hate to see human error !!!
Kenth TAM
Hong Kong

:cap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts