Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brazil suffered a major injury scare on the eve of their Group C opener with Turkey in Ulsan when captain Emerson was withdrawn from training with a suspected dislocated shoulder.

Midfield lynchpin Emerson is set to miss Monday's clash after the injury laid him out on Sunday. He sustained the blow while goalkeeping in a practice match at the Ulsan Munsu stadium - the venue for the Turkey game.

The Roma man lay stricken on the turf for almost five minutes. Team doctor Carlos Runco said the Brazilians hoped to know more about the injury on Sunday night after a visit to a local hospital.

The injury comes just hours after Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari berated his players for risking injury by continuing to train after their official practice sessions had finished.

onefootball.com

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Are we going to call up a player real quick or what? because I've heard that you can do that as long as you haven't played your first match yet. What do you guys think about that? :devil:

Emerson is ruled out, no time to cry or mourn at all guys. Tommorow is the game, I hope Vampeta will take his place but I am really hoping Big Phil can replace Emerson right before and call someone like Ze Elias or something. :eek:

Who's the capitao now? :confused:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Ricardinho takes Emerson's spot!

The CBF received to 22h50 a fax from the FIFA signed for the secretary-generality from the entity, Michel Zen-Ruffinen, authorizeing the substitution of the Emerson player Blacksmith of the Rose for bruise reason.

The athlete convoked for its place is the Ricardinho stocking, of the Corinthians.

The projection and captain of the Brazilian Election umeral right now suffered to the afternoon luxação in escápulo during trainings from recognition from the stadium where Brazil tomorrow makes its estréia in the Pantry of the World of 2002, against Turkey, to 18h (local hour).

according to medical department of the Brazilian Election, the player will need about four weeks treatment recovering.

I am just happy we atleast got a replacement for Emerson. Now, I have all my faith & everything on Vampeta so make me proud! :cool:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, he still didn't pick Juninho Pernambucano...I wonder what has to happen before Felipão picks him! but hey, Ricardinho isn't a bad call either...
At least he didn't call a warrior type a player he likes to see so much...

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
It was between Juninho Pernambucano and Ricardinho for Big Phil and I think he picked Ricardinho because he is older and may bring experience to the team, just a wild guess.

I'd have pick Juninho Pernamucano just for the record. :)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
If it was earlier it would be good.....although Emerson is important for the squad. It is a blow and we got to see how it will affect the camp. I hope Emerson stays in Korea witht he tam to give them an extra support.

Also, it's quite funny life. In 98 Emerson was called up in the place of Romario and now is him that get's injured. He's experiencing both sides of the coin!

Now it's Ricardinho being called up. What an excellent call for Felipao. I just wished he never took Kleberson. THis shows that he was wrong in his analysis of Kelberson and that he does not trust him , otherwise Ricardinho would not have been called...but another tough midfielder....not a finesse midfielder like Ricardinho.

Will we see a Corinthians midfield??? vampeta and Ricardinho....only Fabricio missing, but after the world cup, i think this will be our midfield. Fabricio, Vampeta and Ricardinho!;) :cool:

Gilberto Silva is the best choice to replace Emerson!

And you guys can already note in the book: Ricardinho will take Juninho Paulista's spot in the team!;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Ricardinho is not older that Juninho Pernambucano. He picked Ricardinho cause of the superb football that he has been playing in Corinthians for a long time!;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Leonardo, the moral booster

Most players di't react well to Emerson's injury. Probably only Ronaldo was normal, due to his huge experience.

Felipao asked Leonardo to go and talk to the players and give thema moral booster.

Only tomorrow in the game we will be able to see how the playerrs react to this blow just before our opening game.

Cafu will be the captain from now on!

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Marcelinho Carioca... :(

Oh well, I am happy for Ricardinho. :)

And it is nice to hear that Leonardo is in Korea and will inspire the squad! :cool:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
A Terrible Blow For Brazil

I'm really sad that we lost Emerson. The truth is, he was an extremely valuable player, and the midfield Scolari had planned - with just one defensive mid, plus Juninho and Ronaldinho Gaucho - won't work without Emerson, simply because NO other player in our squad has the sheer defensive power of Emerson. Emerson made that formation possible. Gilberto, Vampeta, they're all fine and good, but Emerson is more solid than all of them put together. A midfield with Vampeta, Juninho and Ronaldinho is defensively feeble - THAT's our problem. My brother, who's not a great Emerson fan, observed that Emerson was probably one of the two most important players for our team, exactly because of his defensive solidity. This injury was a disaster.

So I do think that Scolari called up Ricardinho thinking of a Vampeta-Ricardinho-Ronaldinho mid. There's just one problem: Ricadinho is in Brazil, on the other side of the world, and still has a 12-hour trip, plus the need to adjust to time-zone difference... I don't think Ricardinho will be really available for any of the first three matches. We'll have to find another solution, within the squad.

I hope Vampeta, Gilberto or whoever gets the chance, rises up to the occasion; but I must say I'm pessimistic. I'll keep my fingers crossed, though. ;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Garrincha,

If i had to put money on who will be his replacement, i would definlity put it on Gilberto Silva!

It is almost certain that Juninho Paulista will lose his place in the team after the China game.

The midfield will be:

Gilberto Silva

Ronaldinho Ricardinho

With a probable inculsion of Vampeta due to his humungous understanding with Ricardinho. After all they have played togetehr for 4 years now! But i doubt he will do that, I htink he will keep Gilberto Silva due to his marking.

He can also move Edmilson into midfield and put Polga into the team to play at the back! That is definitly another good option!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Emerson's Substitute?

I hope you're right about that, Ze. I hope Gilberto delivers the same defensive solidity Emerson did. I also believe that Ricardinho would fit very well in our mid, exactly on Juninho's spot.

Vampeta isn't defensively solid enough to partner him as first man of the midfield, though - remember, when they play at Corinthians, there's always another defensive mid, with more defensive duties, covering for them. Rincon played that part for some time, as well as 'the butcher' Otacilio. Fielding Vampeta and Ricardinho as defensive mids sounds like an unreliable formation.

You will obviously disagree with me, Ze - but if I was Brazil's coach, I wouldn't have called Vampeta. I'd probably have called Mauro Silva (if I wanted a powerful 'watchdog') or Juninho Pernambucano (if I wanted obscene amounts of talent, which I do). :D

But since Vampeta is there, hey, I hope he kicks arse! ;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
garrincha,

To me Mauro Silva should not be called up...well......since the French Tournament back in 1997!

We got good DM's and even Conceicao could have a shout or even why not AMARAL! He may not be the best player to watch, but he gives 100% and will run all pitch all day, and will glue to any play in the world and will not let them play.

But as i had already told you;) :D Kleberson is not World Cup material. Felipao has noticed that.....the guy felt the responsability. After all he is not used to big pressure ,a she does not play in a big club......ok he was Brazilian champion, but nevertheless he has never felt the roar of passionate supporters of a big club with press etc.. So IMO he does not belong to Brazil at the moment...and hopefully not in the future as FABRICIO will be the man in the future.

onw coming back to the Vampeta topic. If we will play with only 1 DM..... Vampeta is NOT THE MAN. vampeta needs to play with someone beside him, not alone. So for that call it will definitly be either Gilberto Silva. Or if he opts for more combat and more experince he will move Edmilson into midfield and put Polga at the back. If he makes this decision he will not have a sub for defense. So i think he will go with gilberto Silva.

Anyway, Ricardinho is so talented and good that he wil quickly adapt to his role.

It's funny.....the guy is arranging to watch the world cup with his family and friends....one day before the first game he gets called up. He will not see his team mates play the first game ,as he wil be flying across the Pacific.

He will arrive and then he will watch the first game, and in the third game he will probably be a starter!:eek: ;)

Vampeta is Brazil material! And i would have called Juninho Pernambucano too!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Gilberto Silva is his replacement in the starting linuep for Turkey from what I have heard. I'd much rather have Vampeta then Mauro Silva, sorry Garrincha. Mauro Silva may be solid for his age but Vampeta is hitting his prime and has come off winning 2 championships with Corinthians, that's probably why Big Phil gave Ricardinho the spot instead of Pernambucano, but he did win with Lyon which is kinda confusing. :googly:

Ricardinho will not take 3 games to adapt to life over there because you have like a week before each game, he probably won't get any playing time today but mark my words against China he sure as hell will play. :cool:

On a side note, it would be nice to see if Emerson stays with the coaching staff, is he going to do that and be the captain at halftime and off the pitch?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
well, dont be so disappointed beause Turkey and Internazionale rihgt winger Okan is out of the game on Monday after picking up an injury in trahing session.

This is a major blow to our plans because he is basicly irreplacable, his reserve is not expereinced at all.

----------------

Sunday 2nd June 2002

Turkey general manager Can Cobanoglu has revealed that Internazionale midfielder Okan Buruk is almost certainly out of Monday's World Cup opener against Brazil after picking up a thigh injury in training.

Okan hobbled out of a training session on Saturday after straining a muscle and while the Turkey medical staff initially claimed that the injury was only minor, he is now regarded as a major doubt.

"It is not looking good for Okan," confirmed Cobanoglu on Sunday evening. "The coach Senol Gunes is looking at his options because we do not want to take any risks with injured players."

Okan was set to start on the right side of midfield against Brazil in the Ulsan Munsu Stadium, but Gunes is likely to turn to the Real Sociedad midfielder Nihat Kahveci should he fail recover in time.

The absence of Okan would represent a major blow to Turkey as the former Galatasaray ace is regarded as one of the most talented players in Gunes' squad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts