Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By ZORAN MILOSAVLJEVIC

Yugoslavia was jeered off by a crowd of 12,000 on Tuesday after a lame 1-0 win over China.

Predrag Mijatovic headed the solitary goal in the eighth minute from a Sinisa Mihajlovic free kick, then wasted two good chances.

The Fiorentina striker fumbled the ball with only the keeper to beat in the 17th minute and mistimed a volley from close range five minutes before halftime.

China surprised the Yugoslavs with neat one-touch passing throughout the first half and came close in the 29th minute, when Ivica Kraj saved a thunderous Ma Nin Xu shot from 30 meters.

The visitors pinned a dreary Yugoslav outfit in its own half after the interval, and should have leveled but for some poor finishing.

Li Ming's shot from the edge of the box sailed narrowly over the bar, and second-half substitute Qu Shen Quin fired wide of the near post - much to the disappointment of the home crowd, which switched allegiance to China in the closing stages.

Yugoslavia coach Vujadin Boskov, who said on Monday he wanted his team to give the nation a feast at Euro 2000, remained optimistic.

"This is only the beginning, we have a lot of friendlies to play and enough time to carve out a championship-winning side," he said.

"I am happy with the effort my boys put in, I'll try out a few more players."

Yugoslavia plays Turkey on April 26 and meets China again on May 25 in Beijing.

The Asia tour also includes a doubleheader against South Korea in Seoul on May 28 and May 31, and a final warm-up against a Hong Kong selection on June 3.

China's Yugoslav coach Bora Milutinovic said: "I am proud of my team's performance against Yugoslavia. I wish my countrymen lots of luck at the Euro 200O finals."

THAT IS SOOO SAD, IF THE PUBLIC IS GOING TO BE THE WAY THEY ARE, I SEE NO REASON FOR THE PLAYERS TO BE REPRESENTING THEIR COUNTRY, IF SOMEONE WAS DOING THAT TO YOU, HOW WOULD YOU REACT!!

Shame on us!

------------------
MiLz

1 - 1 of 1 Posts