Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Kolarov still playing at professional level? :oops: Didn't know.
Plus, he was born in Zemun, so not eligible.
You can't do historical line ups without the requisite knowledge. Zemun was part of the Ottoman Empire.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You're actually close to spot on but Fernandes over Karavjev (technically he's a Russia player). Holding mid options are the teams weakest link by far; In fact I'd take out Zobnin and move Henrikh there and just put Zhirkov on the LW. I also never rated Pyatov but now that Igor's retired it's a toss up at GK.
Do you think the Soviets would cap a foreigner? I didn't think so...

I didn't realise Žirkov was still playing lol

Pjatov is the weak link IMO...but who's better?

I like Henrik on the left, I see Zinčenko moving up and down that wing with the Armenian wizard tucking in when the Soviets have possession...

·
Registered
65,166 Posts
Yea Henrik and Zinchenko would link up great. Golovin would give the team creativity but the center-mids would get overrun by top teams easy.

Lunev, Maksimenko, Belenov, etc. are no worse than Pyatov imo.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
You're on the right track, the coach most definitely has to be from Bosnia. I'd go with Vladimir Petković though - Croat, Yugoslav and atheist. Also has massive experience leading the limited Swiss out of the group stage in three consecutive tournaments.

He's been abroad long enough so I don't think he's connected to any football clans in ex-Yu. And the media wouldn't be hostile towards him.

Next in line would be Vahid Halilhodžić, an old style authoritarian who would keep the egos in check. Perhaps a bit too old these days.
Great call! Petkovic would be perfect. Halihodzic would be a candidate with your more youthful line-up but his authoritarian style would fall flat with the more established stars.

Speaking of coaches...check out the doco 'Svabo iz Sarajeva' on youtube.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Great call! Petkovic would be perfect. Halihodzic would be a candidate with your more youthful line-up but his authoritarian style would fall flat with the more established stars.

Speaking of coaches...check out the doco 'Svabo iz Sarajeva' on youtube.
Aha, thanks for the heads up. I caught the latest one on AJ, "Posljednji Farukov penal"...the missed penalty which led to disintegration of Yug. :D

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yarmolenko is completely washed up after the two achilles injuries. He'd need to be replaced with tsyhankov or Bakaev, who has developed really well this season and has been about as good as Vlasic in the league, maybe better creatively. Bias against youth and muslim fundamentalist caucasians would probably doom the team to the older sloth though.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Bakaev looks so frail though, dude needs to bulk up he looks like he could be broken in two with a hard challenge.
Give him time to get on a good peds regime, good chance he's got that caucasian mma psychopathic will to succeed that we need to bring into the football team.

·
Registered
69,078 Posts
I was watching some late 80s early 90s Yugoslav league highlights shows on YouTube and they really went to penalty kicks after a draw? That’s some early MLS level nonsense :ROFLMAO: Also the crowds were no better then than they are today and the football was slow with a lot of long balls for all the talk of “European Brazilians”.

Just one example, this is one of the final rounds of the unified league. Also funny to see Drago Cosic was around back then

·
Registered
55,889 Posts
Pushcush killed us 1954 same as Subashich killed you. shouldn't have played the final, subbed himself in, above the head of the coach. without him in semi-final we beat Ooroogwhy in what was arguably the real match of the century. with him, Western Greater Prussia won deservedly. even more so that that Erdélyi traitor cvnt Josip Posipal spoke hungarian and could translate to his team mates what our golden boyz were up to tactically.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I was watching some late 80s early 90s Yugoslav league highlights shows on YouTube and they really went to penalty kicks after a draw? That’s some early MLS level nonsense Also the crowds were no better then than they are today and the football was slow with a lot of long balls for all the talk of “European Brazilians”.

Just one example, this is one of the final rounds of the unified league. Also funny to see Drago Cosic was around back then

Yeah, the biggest myth is the packed out stadiums you a always hear about these days. They rarely had sell-outs even for derbies.

Recently I saw a stat from a season in the mid-80's - Priština had higher average attendance than Dinamo and Hajduk. :D

41 - 60 of 74 Posts