Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been gutted ever since they announced the postponement of the Euros because I know it kills any hopes Croatia had of reaching the quarter-finals.

Then I started thinking about a combined ex-Yu team and how a 12 month postponement would've been a blessing for this lot. Easily among the top 2-3 favourites if not clear faves...

Tadić is the key here, he'll still have enough left in the tank to finally leave his mark on the international stage. The rest will have come on another year and joined the elite...

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

·
dinamo67
9,125 Posts
I've been gutted ever since they announced the postponement of the Euros because I know it kills any hopes Croatia had of reaching the quarter-finals.

Then I started thinking about a combined ex-Yu team and how a 12 month postponement would've been a blessing for this lot. Easily among the top 2-3 favourites if not clear faves...

Tadić is the key here, he'll still have enough left in the tank to finally leave his mark on the international stage. The rest will have come on another year and joined the elite...

All that added rest for Modric and Perisic. We'll be fine. Champions for sure.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that added rest for Modric and Perisic. We'll be fine. Champions for sure.
Luka will be in the MLS and Pera probably riding the pine at Inter. Face it DZ, this corona screwed us hard...

·
dinamo67
9,125 Posts
Luka will be in the MLS and Pera probably riding the pine at Inter. Face it DZ, this corona screwed us hard...

Thank God you're not the NT head coach. You'd send anyone aged 30 to a nursing home. lol.

I've said this quite a few times already but NT Modric is a different animal. Really don't care what club he plays at as long as if he can continue playing the way he has for the NT. He'll be 35 and it'll be his last tourney. He'll still be a massive piece for us. As for Perisic, we've got alternatives, namely Brekalo. Perisic was in terrific form before he got injured. He'll be 32 so not that bad. We'll have a few players aged in their early 30's (Perisic 32, Rakitic 33, Lovren and Vida 32). I don't expect to see a big decline in the performances. Perisic, Lovren and Vida would be turning 32 not to long before the tourney would probably start. I expect it to be Rakitic's last tourney as well, and I've already made my thoughts clear in the Cro forum that I prefer Vlasic to start over him.

Livakovic (26)

Vrsaljko (29) Lovren (32) Vida (32) Barisic (28)

Modric (35) Brozovic (28)

Rebic (27) Vlasic (23) Perisic (32)

Petkovic (26)

This would be my prefered lineup. Not excessively old, good mix of experience and youth. I know Rakitic would probably get the start. I guess I would agree with you slightly that a combo of Modric and Rakitic playing together at their ages would be problematic.

·
Registered
65,200 Posts

Depth but lacking that extra class the top teams have.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Suho's threads are a virus.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Suho, the coach selection is everything for Yugo sides...always has been. Thoughts?

My heart says Amar Osim (a nostalgic take). Can't really point to any Croatian coaches...too many subversive tendencies

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Suho, the coach selection is everything for Yugo sides...always has been. Thoughts?

My heart says Amar Osim (a nostalgic take). Can't really point to any Croatian coaches...too many subversive tendencies
You're on the right track, the coach most definitely has to be from Bosnia. I'd go with Vladimir Petković though - Croat, Yugoslav and atheist. Also has massive experience leading the limited Swiss out of the group stage in three consecutive tournaments.

He's been abroad long enough so I don't think he's connected to any football clans in ex-Yu. And the media wouldn't be hostile towards him.

Next in line would be Vahid Halilhodžić, an old style authoritarian who would keep the egos in check. Perhaps a bit too old these days.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Depth but lacking that extra class the top teams have.
Nonsense.

Jović, Tadić, SMS and Pjanić bring the class factor. Shaqiri and Kovačić off the bench, too.

The trio of Oblak-Savić-Vrsaljko bring that Atleti toughness to the back half. Brozović is probably top 2-3 in the world in his position at the moment, perfect mix of ball-winning, running, passing and positional awareness.

Milenković is probably the best CB under 23 in Europe and he'll only be better in the next 12 months.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That line-up's without a doubt better than the other two.
Maybe if matches were played on a smaller pitch and halves were 25 minutes...

Anyway, I'm looking at a SSSR XI and I'm shocked at how underwhelming it is...I was going to do a 2nd XI but I've already wasted 3 hours knocking this XI together. Surely I'm missing a few?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts