Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for some info on the first WC where "old" yugoslavia participated. This is one article i found & i would like to ask some questions which some of you maybe could answer:)

Yugoslav national team has always had very respected players and coaches, the greatest achievement at World Cup came in 1930. Even though majority of European football forces did not bother participating, the victory over Brazil and third place shared with USA, remained the greatest success in World Cup history. Due to high insurances requested by Croatian clubs, national team ended up fielding all players from Beograd clubs with
two professionals playing in France
. One Croat, though, was one of the best scorers of the tournament. It was Ivan Bek. The squad could have definitely used some help from some important players (goalkeeper Maksimilijan Mihelcic, central defender Danijel Premerl and forward Antun Bonacic) from Croatian clubs."

What kind of "insurances" are in question? (I know this might have deep political background. Jure & Ero i hope you dont mind:) It affected football and thats why I'm asking this)

Secondly, Who is Ivan Bak?

Thanx in advance:)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Aca...

Sorry buddy, can't help you. As you know, I have no idea about the Yugo NT. Plus that was from a long time ago. When Croatia was part of that country, many of our parents were forced to leave and the fact is the Croatian people didn't much care to be there. Watching a Yugo game was banned...any WC they would be in their games were not watched in my house.

So, sorry Aca, you are barking up the wrong tree here.

Got any other questions???:D

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
High insurances?

Croatian players, although probably the best of that "yugoslavia" declined to play for the NT at the first WC due to political turmoil and the murder of Croatia's pacifist leader, Stjepan Radic, in the Belgrade parliament in 1928. The Serbian King at the time denied many basic rights to the Croats and political persecution was not out of the ordinary.

The Croatian football federation, est. 1912, declined to send any players from the successfull Croatian clubs due to this political unrest.

As a result, Yugoslavia participated in the first WC without Croats.

I don't know what they mean by "high insurances", but thisis the reason most prominent Croatian sportspeople didn't represent the hybrid country untill later on.

Yugoslavia finished 4th in that WC, though only 13 teams participated and only 4 from Europe decided to show. There was no qualifying tournaments and you went straight from your group into the semi's. That was the USA's best finish also, they came 3rd on goal difference.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
right on Ero,mangupe...

Aca,I don't want to bust my arm pating myself on the back,but I can say for myself that I'm sort of an expert for NT's and WC's in general and Ero is right on the money!
I'll tell you this story:(anegdota)
Year,1990,somewhere in Dalmacija on the Riva,Caffee bar owner has placed the big screen tv on the teraca and everyone watched Germany and that other country play in group stage.
Every goal for German NT was cheered like there will be no tomorow and fog horns merchants made their money that day.
Do I have to explain in detail everything about "high insurances"to you and how much we Croatians hated that surogat country!
Just scroll down and read JureM's reply>>>>

P.S.Final score of that game was,Germany-that other country 4:1

Let's not overreact people, Aca asked an honest question which was honestly answered, politics has a lot to do with it but I'm sure we're mature enough not to take historical facts as personal insults. Thanks,

Ero

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ero...

Good point. Aca asked a simple question and he didn't mean anything bad with it. But, I think the question was pretty much answered...so I will close this thread before it goes a bit far....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.