Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean MLS, i think i came a lot way since a few seasons ago.
I dont know about you guys, but i think they've improved a lot, but i still think they need good forwards to finsh the goals

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I would have to admit/It has improved///

But can you honestly tell me the the MLS compete with European teams..
Let/s for example put the top two teams in the CL or COpa UEFA do you actually think any one of those teams stands a chance..NO WAY>>
AMerican soccer has such a style that i sometimes find myself bored...VERY SLOW>>>

What are your thoughts..??

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well against top European teams, you're right they dont stand a chance but i think that against the Estonian , Lithuanian, Latvian, champs that the Metrostars could defeat them.
So you can't just compare MLS to Italy, Spain, Portugal, England, etc. because those leagues have been going on for almost a century.
Now, MLS is best compared to the former soviet union countries, who's leagues are only about a decade old. And those teams I believe are good competition for the Mls.

·
Registered
301 Posts
cmdg3232.... can you be more specific ?

what european teams you are talking about ?

do not mention Italians, la primera, bundesliga, the premiership or Portugal. Any body else is in trouble if the come to play in chicago or vs. the Galaxy.
Recent games show kansas C very interesting too.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Coming across to the USA from England was a very daunting move for me, I had been led to believe that MLS was extremely poor. I have to admit to being pleasently suprised, I mean the games are not English Premiership standard, but they are at a much higher level than I expected.
I've not seen a great deal of it yet this season, my wife likes to go out either Saturday or Sunday, and well I take the pay-per-view Premiership matches over MLS! :)

I agree it is quite good for a new league, but it has a long way to go! :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
new comer to MLS....sorry you feel that way.

few agts in your home league already have 3 americans from MLS, and our home made 'stern john' via trinidad and New orleans (a-league).

what city are you relocated to ?

get ready for the irish vs. USA (mls) is coming in JUne 4th or 7th.... so you can measure the new level of Usians vs. palyers that YOU followed... (roy Keane, is too tired to be here)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'm in the Boise,Idaho area, so I'm not going to get a great deal of Live Football out in a stadium here! ;)

Well the English season is over now (apart from the FA CUP final), so I'll probably start to watch some more of the MLS.
I wasn't meaning anything bad to MLS, but I was led to believe it was terrible, and I've been very pleasantly suprised! :) It has a long way to go (from what I've seen), but I'm sure that the US Players could compete in the Scottish league.
I remember Cobi Jones coming across to the UK to play for Coventry, then there is Joe max-moore (ors something like that) playing at Everton, and seems to have made a good impact in the Premiership. I have to say Roy Wegerle was one of my favourite payers when he was in England, is he still playing?
I've heard many good things about Stern John actually, but not had the pleasure of seeing him play yet!
As I say I'll be watching a lot more of it now the English season is over, so after 5-6 matches I should be able to make a better judgement than presently (which is after 1 match).

No offence to the Irish, but I hope you beat them, I'm English, and have no love for the Irish team (Roy Keane in particular - I'm a Liverpool fan). I'll watch that one with interest, and come back with my observations!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I guess i was comparing to spanish/english/italian/french leagues.I realize that their are many leagues.,.In those countries soccer is life..Here it is just begining..I would like to see US soccer reach that level someday but I think the style the US plays needs to change..

·
Registered
301 Posts
hard bet....soccer fan!

to reach the 5 countries that you mention, MLS needs 40 yrs time and 50 million per team to accomodate stars from brazil and Argentina. The way they survive in spanish/italian/bundesliga, to present the best talent and entretaining soccer that you are looking for.

for Now...we will enjoy beating the national teams of Germany, and chile or England!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Hey now, it was a while back that you beat England, when we had players like Carlton Palmer playing for us. We also had Graham "The Turnip" Taylor managing us, and I have to say he was the worst England manager ever!

I think you'd struggle to beat the current England squad! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Razor.
Since your in BoyCee, There will be an MLS squad in Seattle in 2002 when the new stadium is built. It designed like the soccer stadium they built in Hong Kong. Seattle is only five and a half hour drive away from Boise, I think you'd enjoy the English sportsbar, The George and Dragon Pub, they will be showing all Euro 2000 matches and majority of english nationals are in attendance when the English national team plays. I was there when England qualified for WC 98 against Italy in Rome, I had a killer time, I will not miss the England v Germany game at the dragon.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
The George and Dragon is in Seattle? Well if I can talk my wife into going over there for a weekend, amybe we can meet up for the ngland germany game!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Razor
Being stuck in Boise, I think you'd certainly like cheering for you team with a bar full of you compatriots. The dragons web site address is: www.georgeanddragonpub.com, They have all the time's of the England games listed, they'll show it live, the replay it later that evening. If you have any more question's, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] Hope to see you there the saturday June 17, 2000. Maybe we'll all be able to say after the game is over "Germany for you ze 2000 vorld cup is OVER!!! Remembering the Sun's infamous headlines before the 96 semi's, If only Gazza was 2 inches longer, he'd have gotten that cross in extra time. Sighhhh!!!!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Yep, if only Gazza hadn't cut his toenails that day! :)
Still not got to that topic with the wife ....yet! :) Need to take her out for a meal or something.... lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
any Irish pubs in central florida ?

the USA vs. Irish nats on june 4th ?

can England beat Brazil ? show me the results...and I will show you a team USA that can give you a good game anyday.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'll let you know on Saturday if we can beat Brazil! :)

I know on their day the US are a very good side, this is proven by their climbing of the FIFA rankings. I still think England are a better team ! ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Razor, you're so diplomatic...

FYI, on the MLS vs. Europe debate, the Columbus Crew just hammered Hamburg 4-1 in Ohio. The Germans (#3 in B.liga I think) were missing 3 or 4 starters. Still, not bad for us Yanks! :) :) :)

I think Dante Washington had 2 goals. McBride and Warzycha also scored.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
It seems as though that is always the case..Whenever MLS teams play another squad
European> the other team seems never to have their star players playing..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts