Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering...apart from Sebastian Deisler, are there any promising youth coming out of Germany right now? (I'm sure there are, but I don't know anything about them.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Youth!!

There are not many names to mention, but at least a few; I will list them by position:

Goal:
Robert Enke (22), Benfica Lisbon

Defense:
Ingo Hertzsch (23), Hamburger SV
Frank Baumann (24), Werder Bremen

Midfield:
Michael Ballack (23), Bayer Leverkusen
Sebastian Deisler (20), Hertha BSC Berlin
Lars Ricken (24), Borussia Dortmund
Christian Timm (21), 1. FC Köln
Marco Reich (22), 1. FC Kaiserslautern
Zoltan Sebescen (24), VfL Wolfsburg
Fabian Ernst (21), Werder Bremen
Andreas Voss (21), VfL Wolfsburg
Tobias Willi (20), SC Freiburg
Torsten Frings (23), Werder Bremen
Jochen Seitz (23), VfB Stuttgart
Sascha Rösler (22), SSV Ulm 1846 (Second division)

Attack:
Marcel Ketelaer (22), Hamburger SV
Gerald Asamoah (21), FC Schalke 04 (He'll get his German
passport soon)

Perhaps you were searching for some younger players (18/19 year olds), but there are no German players currently in possession of a starting place in any Bundesliga squad. I'm sorry!

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
For Goalie:

I'm not sure but isn't Munich's youth goalie a German? Stefan Wessel (not sure 'bout the spelling :eek: ) He's young (1979) and when he played in the CL against Rangers he looked promising to me...

·
Registered
138 Posts
You're right Nedved! FC Bayern's young goaltender Stefan Wessels is German. I did not mention him because he only made three or four appearances for FC Bayern. He started the 1999/2000 season with the FC Bayern youth team (not even FC Bayern B), and was only promoted to the starting spot because of Bayern's top three goaltenders (Oliver Kahn, Bernd Dreher, Sven Scheuer) all were injured.

By the way, I forgot another young German goaltender TSV 1860 München signed goaltender Simon Jentzsch (20) from third division side Karlsruher SC in the off-season. He has made some appearances for the German B national team. But don't expect him to be number 1 goalie for TSV 1860 (Daniel Hoffmann is currently the starting goalie).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Tss, how could you forget Markus Pröll? :)
He's younger than Wessels & Jentzsch, and was one of the key players in 1.FC Köln's promotion back into the Bundesliga last season, and so also will be the clubs first choice goalie this season. He plays for the german U21 and also was nominated for the german B squad some months ago (where he played the second half in one match I think). He's obviously one of the most promising youngsters at the moment in my opinion.
Here some other youngsters I'd rate as promising, though, I agree, there are quite too few...

Midfield:
Stefan Leitl (22) 1.FC Nürnberg (2nd division)
Markus Kreuz (23) 1.FC Köln
Alexander Voigt (22) 1.FC Köln
Sebastian Schindzielorz (21) VfL Bochum

Attack:
Benjamin Auer (19) Bor.Mönchengladbach (2nd)
Bernd Korzynietz (20) Bor.Mönchengladbach (2nd)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts