Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quoting myself from a thread in the Maccabi TA forum, we started an interesting discussion which came up after Ze'ev Zeltzer reported that teams like Fiorentina and Schalke were serious about signing Shpongin and Itay Shecter.

Raanan said:
According to Zeltzer if it wasn't for the military service problems, we'd have had at least 6 youth players in different European clubs by now. And I definitely believe him, remember we used to have Sasi and that other guy in Dortmund, Biruk and Benayoun at Ajax, and so on.

I only know of one player in a serious club abroad, some 16 yo guy named Ben Sahar who is the biggest star of our youth team, he's from Chelsea and Grant is really interested in him for Hapoel.

Anyway we can continue this in another thread in the main forum if the issue is interesting. :)

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
For a small country like Israel to every year produce new talents and call attention from European clubs it is something great. If our youth systems were even better we simply could have class players.
Shpungin and Shechter have a bright future ahead of them and in a near future they will certainly be in the senior team, specially Shungin since we don´t have exactly a good right back.
We all know that the military service doesn´t help our youth players and that many could have begun earlier their career in Europe. But we also know that this is an important issue for our country so we wouldn´t exactly be talking about players abroad if we didn´t have an army.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Yea!!! I always like good quality players being signed...

I mean, we have a problem...and that is whenever we have a talent at age 15, he gets ruined by age 19....
We need to keep them. One of the ways is to send them to Europe and excel. Thats the only way to do it....

if you have a prodigy playing with underdogs...somehow he will have to adapt to the underdogs and lose his strenght.....
With Arsenal and other clubs starting camps in Israel, it will boost up Israel presence as well as attract some attention.

I also would like the Institute in Netanya for sports to take a stab at it too. They have referee school and also can help youth develope in the leauge...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
you know Israel as a football country has so many things stopping it from succeeding but for some reason they manage to keep going. We see all these youngsters with such talent playing for all these big European clubs: Dortmund, Chelsea, Ajax (by far one of the best youth clubs), Fiorentina, etc. We know the talent is there, but then we have bosman rules, military service, and the fact that our IFA is run by politicians doesn't really help us at all, yet we manage to keep things running somewhat well in our league and national team. These youth players are in such a disadvantage! the critical years for them to develop physical and mental skills are between 18-21 but they are stopped by the Military. I think there should be an exception to any athlete, i know that they don't really do as much as a regular person but they should just get to go play abroad. Why not? Maybe one day these guys can bring great honour to the country, why make them waste such critical years to serve the little time they do in the army

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
OO yarok bro...you got it all wrong man! We got so many opprotunities, but we manage to screw it off. Stop thinking that Israel is always the underdog that manages to outperform. Because we are not. We complain about having military scription and bosman...thats bullshit. Theres other places the deal the same thing.

Its all about the moral fibre of our sportmanship. We never built a base and with the emerginc European world coming together, we will never do it.
We always depended on the fact that if your good, than you keep on being good and then you go to Europe. Europe = Ultimate success.
But you ever wonder what would happen if Revivo would have stayed in Israel?
Thats the same thing i was wondering. And frankly...it would be impossible cause his name would be a name i would follow. More in the lines of Adrome Keisi....

We have a professional leauge that acts amature. Thats the easiest way to say it...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
they are 2 players who play in spain, i guess u dont know about them....
15 yr old Gil Blumstein who plays for villarreal and 14 yr old Lotam Zino who plays for racing de santander

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Didnt know about them....

but its a big deal that they signed a 15 year old.
Come what? 7 years from now..i hope to see both in the NT :D

Villareal is a big deal...
hope he wont ditch us and paly for Spain NT :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts