Xtratime Community banner

12981 - 13000 of 13006 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It's a very good squad. I think we're definitely one of the top 4-5 teams in this tournament with Italy, Germany, France and Spain. Jovic is probably the best player in the tournament which clearly helps a lot. I think we should be looking at semi-finals as the minimum and qualifying for the Olympics. Anything less than those two objectives and it's a major disappointment. I think we are being severely underrated here by all pundits which works in our favor. Last tournament, there were a lot of expectations surrounding us due to the U20 WC win and all the teams came out fired up n ready to play us.

We can't use our superior physicality against Denmark, Norway and Germany. This is one disadvantage and reason why we struggle against these teams usually. I think Djorovic needs to remind himself that he has the best young striker in his arsenal at his disposal. We need to play offensive minded. I think Dule nailed it on the head with regards to what our starting lineup WILL look like. Only two qualms Djorovic might have is Radunovic match fitness concern as he's been out with a pretty bad injury for 2019 and hasn't played a single match since. He's a young talented keeper that I think would serve us really well so we have to take the risk. The only other thing I can see Djorovic preferring Masovic over Racic. I don't like that switch but Djorovic really likes Masovic at that DM position. I think it would be a mistake because you take away a dynamic player like Racic that can really push the ball forward with his long diagonal passes that he can get the ball to Zivkovic or Radonjic on the wings. Racic might even end up being our best player if he can put out the same performances that he did against Poland in the last friendly match. He was unreal...
It's unlikely but he might even push Radnjelovic over Radonjic in one of the other matches if Radonja fails to impress in the first match.

Also, shame that Luka Ilic was injured for the majority of the season. He was really starting to shine in Holland and then had a nasty injury. He's come back but not match fit. I think he'll be one of the rising stars in Holland next season if he stays there.

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
Wtf happened? 2-0 loss to mini Yugoslavia? 4 yellows and a red? Masovic creating controversy before the game started?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
We were awful and that is pretty much it.

The worse thing is I watched a game where someone break his leg. I hate when I'm unlucky to see injuries like that. :(

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Horrendous performance.

Austria weren't even good and still created tons of chances. They basically gave Horvath and a bunch of the Austrian players tons of room to operate and run towards our defense. Terrible. Mostly due to amateurish organization from our team and ball losses close to our own defensive line. Their goals..well, terrible and unlucky at the same time.

There were two positives though: Radunović was excellent all game long. We might have two good goalkeepers (three when Rajković confirms himself in a proper league). This guy always does well when playing for the U21's. He's also good with his feet once he gets a chance to show it.

Well done to Radonjić for being the only creative outlet. He's even faster now than just a year ago. I hope he moves to a club where he'll get regular playing time and actually learn things about the game.

I hope Wolf will come back stronger btw. What a terrible injury.

What didn't happen in the qualifiers happened tonight. Fine. Let's use the last two games to our own advantage. Things are looking very hard now.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Radonjic has the qualities that you can't teach. By that, I'm not talking about his speed. I'm talking about his lack of finishing, his lack of being able to put in a consistent cross under pressure (I'm not talking about his chip pass to Jovic that was great but had all the time in the world to make that pass), and he can't beat his man off the dribble if his life depended on it. 0 technique and technical ability. Dude has relied on his speed his whole career which is why he's a uni-dimensional player. He should have been a track star instead of a footballer. This isn't his sport.
Saying all this, he surprisingly wasn't our worst player...:howler:

Only realistic chance at qualifying:

Denmark beats or draws Austria
Serbia beats Germany :howler: :howler:
Germany beats/draws Austria and we beat Denmark

I have a better chance of becoming a billionaire than they do of qualifying after today's abysmal performance.
Sad because we are also missing out on the Olympics as well. So, Djorovic completely f*cked us over there too for the next gen. There's a very small chance that if we finish second and England qualifies to the Semis or is the best 2nd place team and we are the 2nd best 2nd placed team, that we could qualify for the Olympics. This might be a consolation prize as the more experiences our youth teams get, the better. Granted, these kind of experiences like today don't really do anything positive for their career. I also think Austria is now a big fat 0 without Wolf who was their whole offense which gives us a sliver of hope.

There's really not much we can do. I am first to blame when it comes to overrating some of these guys. 90% of them don't even play regularly for their clubs. The only one's that do are Milenkovic & Jovic. This is why Austria ran us off the pitch.
Reality is, this lineup isn't working nor is the way they were tactically organized. We aren't a team that plays possession football. We fold under pressure. We made 10 bad passes in the first half alone where we were immediately countered by Austria who pushed multiple men forward. This was eerily reminiscent of Ukraine vs us in that 5-0 defeat. So damn similar except second half was a bit better. We had no business losing this game in the way that we did. Sure, some bad luck with 2 post hits and Radonjic missing a complete sitter (though that's more a lack of skill than luck). But they also could have scored another 3-4 goals, easily! Thank god for Radunovic who was the best player on the pitch after Wolf. It's a sad state of football we are in when both our A team and U21 team are relying on the GK to save our asses from an embarrassment. Radonjic's speed isn't going to work against Germany, and I'm sure the Danes figured him out by now too. The guy can only kick the ball forward and then chases after it. His technical ability is that of a 10 year old.
IMO, Lukic was probably our best offensive player then Jovic after him. Those two guys deserve better than this. Jovic was truly unlucky and credit to Danzo for playing some incredible defense on him. Even then, Jovic could have had 2 goals easily. This is why I said we are in the group of death based on our style of football. We don't do well against physically superior sides. We won the U20 WC because we were one of the most physically superior teams at the tournament. In this group, we are dead last apart from maybe Jovic and Milenkovic.

Last but not least, we have been playing outdated football for about a decade now. Last time we played modern football was under Antic and maybe a little in the U20 WC win. Since then, we haven't then diddly squad. I think we are now 11 games without a win at the U21 final tournament....11! To think we made 1 semi and 2 finals in a row from 2004-2007 and never did anything of worth since then. I'm shocked but not surprised that it ended like this. We are continuing our loser mentality in football similar to what Croatia has in basketball. I don't see us getting out of this slump until we start teaching our kids to play modern style of football which is every player on the pitch being able to comfortably play on the ball and not fold under pressure. Player that know how to move into open and designated spaces and making quick short passes. Watching Pantic and Zivkovic try to dribble through 3 defenders made me want to turn off the tv. Enough is enough.

All congratulations go to Kokeza for forming this dream team of coaches that have plagued our youth and senior NT. Also, it's not just the U21's and A team. We've been abysmally poor with the U19's and U17's with a lot of strange call-ups and omissions. Kokeza single-handily put us back 10 years in football.
I'm f*cking tired of being out-coached by opposing mangers. You can't control everything that happens on the pitch nor the quality of the players at your disposal (assuming you call them all up) but what you CAN control is how you organize and at least give your players a shot at winning the game. Djorovic did none of that today. He completely underestimated his opponent that just beat France's U21 team 3-1 in a friendly last week. I had a feeling this sh*t was coming. I knew they were hungry and we were overconfident thinking Jovic will carry the squad to the finals.

Going forward :howler:

Against Germany, they need to put Masovic, who is naturally a CB, back to his original CB position. Jovanovic will be suspended anyways after the red card. Milenkovic is not good on the ball at all. He needs someone like Masovic next to him. He can be replaced in midfield by Racic. Radonjic at LM. Zivkovic at RM. Lukic and Racic at DM. Pantic in a more advanced role because he loses the ball too often (speaking of Pantic, he choked massively today by far the worst player on the pitch). I think he will be looking to redeem himself against Germany. He has the quality, he needs to calm his nerves. Jovic obviously up front. Idea is to pack the midfield and play Germany on the counter. Germans are Germans. They play the same predictable style of football. One reason why Italians are so good against them is because their counter attacking football is world class. We need to be like Italians agains the Germans. They'll be looking for the full 3 points and we need to wait for the perfect moments to attack. Jovic, Radonjic, Lukic and Zivkovic were made for counter attacking football. This is exactly why I thought Djorovic's tactics were ridiculous. He played so open thinking we could score 4-5 goals when it was the complete opposite :howler:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The biggest problem in our football, apart from mafia, is we want to play something for what we are not able. I'm not talking here about quallity but mentality of our players. The half of Europe thrive to play possesion football from midfield and creative through midfield. And I see that we can't play that. As I said it's not about quallity here bit something what you are. We should relies on fighting and strenght and defence where we should go on counters and make runs. We can't keep the ball like a lot of European NT's doing. I don't know why but that is clearly can't be our style. We doesn't feel comfortable playing like that.

Neither Serbian team who was successful and make results relied on creativity, technique, finishing, attacking, keeping possesion and stuff like that but on organization, counter attacks and steady defence and a bit of luck of course but I think that is necessary for every team in success.

We like to lie ourselves that we are something that we can't be and that hurth us big time and keeping us away from continuity.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The problem herein lies with how we develop players in Serbia. It's an archaic system. It's absolutely integral to be able to play possession football in modern football if you want to play against elite teams.

The only tactic we can rely on with the players we have at our disposal is counter attacking football. Close up shop and make sure your defense is organized then counter. Against weaker sides like Lithuania, we can afford to make some risks where we might allow a goal or two but our quality up front will also let us score 3-4. My midfield would be comprised of quick, agile and defensive minded midfielders that can quickly get the ball to the attacking third. Lukic is one of those players. Maksimovic is more defensive minded but we've seen how his quickness can be an asset to counter-attacking style of football. Gacinovic is the prime example. Kostic is another prime example of a two way player that offers something on both ends. Our center backs need to be quicker and more organized. Milenkovic consistently gets beat on speed. If you're going to play him for his height then you need 1 or 2 quick defenders next to him. OR Maksimovic needs to help back a lot more.
It's pretty simple to me. At the moment, we can't play with two strikers against better sides. We can only play with Jovic and Tadic behind him because this is our best method of countering. Jovic can also drop deeper into midfield for build up play which he is ridiculously good at for his age.

With regards to the youth NT, I think they need to employ a similar tactic. They have extremely fast players in Radonjic, Zivkovic, Lukic, and Jovic. Use it to your advantage! I hope they don't go all out against Germany like they did with Austria. It is a bit naive looking back at it

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Spain won today which means they'll likely finish with 6 points if they dispose of Poland in the final match.

Tomorrow for us is a do or die match against Germany. Yes, they are heavy favorites but if we player counter football and wait for our opportunities, we might be able to upset them. If Denmark draws or beats Austria in the other game, everything is in our hands for the final match. I hope these boys are up for the challenge tomorrow. They showed a lot of fire and fight against Austria but were set up for failure by Djorovic. This is great experience for eventual senior competitions where they'll face situations like this knowing they have to beat one of the stronger sides in order to advance. Let's see what they can do.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
The central midfield is very exposed. We have Racic, Lukic and Pantic playing in the central midfield three. Racic is being asked to be a very defensive minded midfielder in the center, but he is being outnumbered often, and that was one of the ways the Germans have created most of their opportunities. The plan is evident with speed on the wings in terms of Zivkovic and Radonjic, however it's just not going to plan thus far. Anyone that has ever watched Racic knows he is not a hound a la Jovicic or Matic. It's a bit frustrating because the balance is not there in midfield for me.

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
3-0 for Germany in the 40th minute? Wtf is going on?

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
3-0 for Germany in the 40th minute? Wtf is going on?
Srbi u Junu. - Antic

All of their goals have come from very stupid mistakes, ones that players at this level shouldn't be making. Babic got seriously caught ball watching on the first goal as their forward drew him outside the area and then just made a good run in behind as he quickly turned on him (also Racic was not closing down quickly enough), then Lukic makes a very dumb error and gives the ball away in the worst part of the field, in center midfield to give them a 3 on 1 counter... the players seemed to have showed up thinking 'their quality' would win them this game. Serious lack of professionalism being shown here. On paper, we have at least an equal starting 11 in terms of quality, players that have been all playing and have had for the most part excellent seasons. Babic also made a huge mistake on the third goal as well, but it must be said that it was a very good finish.

It's been too easy and the players have not showed up. Zivkovic has seriously regressed, at least since I last saw him in a national team shirt. Having said all that, seems to me that Racic and Lukic in central midfield is going wrong, and that is the main thing we need to address, but honestly, each player has been passive at times. Only Radunovic in goal has been good.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This is the reality. We have fallen behind in modern football.
As the british commentator said, Germany looks like a team of collectives and Serbia a team of inferior individuals.
Djorovic showing his true colors as well.
Serbia bringing to light what a side that can't control possession looks like. It's going to take another 15 years to change our generation of footballers to play modern football. Until then, we have to look at this shit show for a while

People forget in our U20 run we only beat 1 good side and that was Brazil in the final...

We are so behind physically at this level that it's not even funny. Watching the Germans, Danes and Austrians run around we look like kids compared to them

Germany 13 attempts on goal. Serbia 0

This isn't a competition. This is a clowning.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
They should've abandoned their two-striker system without the ball if they were interested in making something out of this. Dahoud and their CB's are under no pressure and always 3-on-2 or 4-on-2. They're also very good at combining quickly and at one touch. We're late in all challenges and they're quicker than our defensive line. Should've realistically been 5-0 but I hope they correct some of their amateurish errors from the first half to get one back at least.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Germany just cut across and created a huge hole in our central midfield with their passing. Gulfs of difference in terms of organization with (especially) the ball and without it. A few of our players are good but they have no system which they fall back on. They let Germany run at them like Ukraine did against the senior NT.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yeah this has nothing to do with the individual but rather the collective. Our players do well in their clubs because there is a proper system in place for them. Just watching Jovic look completely lost out there made me feel bad for him. For Eintracht, he knows exactly where he needs to be in order to create opportunities for himself.
Germans have a specific system at every level. This one is influenced a bit by Spanish football as well probably because of Spain's golden generation overlapping with the development of this generation.
Serbia is completely out of place now in modern football. Not a single midfielder in the country that can hold the ball under pressure and maintain possession. I gave Lukic a little too much credit...

The only player that's about to have a really short career is Radonjic. Overdribbles too much despite being poor technically. Loses the ball a lot leading to counters. Can't score to save his life. Very low IQ player. Serbia had a few counters early and Radonjic screwed up every single one.
Actually, Pantic is on pace as well. Should have went with Randjelovic over Radonjic from the start and Joveljic instead of Pantic since Pantic was useless anyways. We still would have allowed 6 goals but maybe could have scored 2-3 ourselves :howler:

Overall, Serbian football is dead. Not just from a tactical standpoint or due to corruption but because not enough money was being invested in developing our players in accordance to modern football (at the time the child begins playing football in the country).

I'm only happy with this result cause I can't wait to hear what those corrupt f*cks have to say about this result. It's going to be glorious.
On the other side, I feel bad for these players. They were set up for failure. I really do hope the majority of them quit and boycott the NT. Starting with Jovic who doesn't need this kind of negative energy heading into Real Madrid where the stakes are high. This couldn't have been a worse tournament for him and his confidence. Only smart person here is Grujic. Jovic's heart was in the right place but his mind wasn't.

PS: I don't ever want to hear someone complaining about players boycotting the NT
None of you would play for these mafia bastards. Not in a million years. Enough is enough

·
Registered
130 Posts
what a disaster.

this is supposedly the 'golden generation'. They're pretty average, can't play at all, no system, no structure..what an embarrassment.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
what a disaster.

this is supposedly the 'golden generation'. They're pretty average, can't play at all, no system, no structure..what an embarrassment.
I wouldn't blame the players for that. The issue wasn't the individual here but the collective and that stems from coaching to FA. These players were set up for failure and it's as simple as that really

12981 - 13000 of 13006 Posts