Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
59,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone has to have his favourite whipping boy so who is yours?

Mines has to be Ruud Gullit. Adored him as a player but as a manager...
Not only being tactically terrible (bringing on Sebastian Pardo, the smallest player on the field to play as a holding midfielder in the derby against Ajax before having to sub him off later), his handling of the media was ridiculous:

-First praising and hyping up his own signings (Cory Gibbs as the great communicator) and then when already sacked, continuing to hype them when working as a media pundit.
In actual fact, it would have been great to have been an agent in Gullit's time. Panic all round the club, Gullit listening to every agent and believing them too hence the biggest weirdos coming on trial and the signings of characters like Gibbs, Bruno Basto and co.

-Then picking on a player straight after a game every time we lost. One day it was the goalie, the other it was all down to Romeo Castelen, a right winger, wearing the wrong shoes.

Never was it his own fault to the day he was sacked, he honestly seemed stunned the board didn't back him.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
5. Sam Allardyce
4. Jacques Santini
3. Graeme Souness
2. Serse Cosmi
1. Raymond Domenech

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Martin O'Neil
and Sam Allardyce
:confused:

- brought Leicester City, which in fact is a tiny club overall, to Europe and to their best ranking in the EPL ever
- came to Celtic and brought the club back to the top in Scotland after an era dominated by Rangers, plus he brought the club to the UEFA Cup final
- Aston Villa have been fighting relegation for several seasons, since O'Neill came they can dream of Europe again and are nowhere near the drop

Basically the guy has been succesful everywhere he appeared, he has showed a great eye for discovering talent and good transfers, and he remained modest throughout his success.

Worst manager?
A few names come into mind. At my own club, Jean-Marie Pfaff was a total embarrassment and cost us relegation :moan:
I am surprised nobody mentioned Steve MacClaren yet despite the fair number of English members here.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Definitely Ronald Koeman! Look what he did to Valencia. he came when we were in a champions league spot, and we ended up finishing tenth. we were 16th once in the season!
Steve Mclaren is shit.
David O'Leary also, the bastard!

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Alan Ball, the man who took a team with Kinkladze, Rosler, Beagrie, Summerbee, Quinn, Flitcroft, Curle and Walsh down to Division One. We took 3 months to win a game with him as boss. He sold Paul Walsh in a part exchange for Gerry Creany, which is like swapping Torres for Neil Mellor. We recovered slightly so we had a shot at staying up on the last day. However we'd have been clear away but for a slump in the last two months after he sold Garry Flitcroft, the best box-to-box midfielder we'd had since Colin Bell, and vice-captain, to Blackburn on deadline day. We then went in then went into the last game of the season level on points with Southampton and Coventry but on worse goal difference. We had to better their results. Against a Liverpool team determined to let us win, we contrived to score two own goals inside twenty minutes. Liverpool looked almost apologetic in their goals. We came back to 2-2 thanks to a brave penalty from Rosler and an equaliser from own-goal scorer Kit Symons. Hearing Coventry were losing, Ball told us to waste time, with Lomas taking the ball into the corner, only for Niall Quinn, who'd been substituted, to run out of the dressing room letting us know Coventry were now level. City had played for a draw in a game they needed to win to stay up, with Ball the architect when Liverpool were inviting us to score.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Les Reed

the one that looks like an accountant, who replaced dowie that replaced curbs.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Kev Crapwell... I don't know if he's the worst on the planet but all those qualifications for what?!
Playing 5 in midfield and then proceeding to play long ball to a loan striker with no support does kind of constitute a bad manager.

Oh and signing about 15 strikers, to then play 1 upfront also.

But no hes not the worst i dont think.

·
10'un Adi Lefter
8,620 Posts
Domenench.

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
:confused:

- brought Leicester City, which in fact is a tiny club overall, to Europe and to their best ranking in the EPL ever
- came to Celtic and brought the club back to the top in Scotland after an era dominated by Rangers, plus he brought the club to the UEFA Cup final
- Aston Villa have been fighting relegation for several seasons, since O'Neill came they can dream of Europe again and are nowhere near the drop

Basically the guy has been succesful everywhere he appeared, he has showed a great eye for discovering talent and good transfers, and he remained modest throughout his success.

Worst manager?
A few names come into mind. At my own club, Jean-Marie Pfaff was a total embarrassment and cost us relegation :moan:
I am surprised nobody mentioned Steve MacClaren yet despite the fair number of English members here.
I just hate the ****er

He shouldn't be in this thread but I was reading yet another Barry article and thought lemme stick him in here.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Won't say Domenech, guided his team to the WC final, a crap manager can't do that. Not a great manager, but not the worst on this planet.

Gullit, Santini, McLaren etc. I can understand.

·
Registered
297 Posts
most of the people here won't know him but sandy clark who became the st. johnstone manager in 1998 and then gave us our greatest season ever (we finished 3rd in the league, 2nd in the league cup and got to the semi-final of the scottish cup, obviously we have never been very successful:D) and got us relegated 2 seasons later. I wouldn't say he is my least favourite manager but most saints fans don't hold him in high regard.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Steve Staunton, Steve McLaren

Adrian Boothroyd (sp?)

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Baldy McClaren and Svenis... having them two in a row nearly put me off football forever.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts