Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everywhere I go I only hear bad thing's about him.

But from Inter fans I only hear good things :confused:

- Bayern dislike him.

- Germans dislike him

- American dislike him.

- Serbian's are split.

I think the English just dislike him because he is German :)

So I ask myself why? Is it only at Inter where he didn't cause any damage?

Was there no fall out's with Team mate's / club officials?

No arguments over money?

Help me understand this :D

what was the circumstances of him leaving?

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I'm too young to know.. :dazed:

Interesting topic though :thmbup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Someone once said Matthäus was the best player Inter ever had in a looong time becoz he was one of the few players who achieve something that other Inter superstars wannabes failed - that is winning the scudetto for Inter.

·
Registered
24,618 Posts
If I remember correctly Matthäus suffered a knee-injury and to make space for Sammer Inter had to sell Matthäus. You were only allowed to play three foreign players back then.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
When I first started following Inter, Matthaus was captain and his fellow Germans, Andreas Brehme and Jurgen Klinsmann played at left back and striker respectively. Matthaus was a good team leader and his free kicks were often something to marvel as he would hit boomers from outside the box that left keepers with little chance other than to watch the ball fly past them and pick it up out of the net.

I remember watching a match where Inter were playing against Sampdoria who were well in the battle for the Championship (the year Sampdoria won it 1990-1991?). The match was at Samp's home ground and Inter were given two penalties in the match. For some reason, I recall Matthaus missing/having both penalties saved and it was from then on that I started following Inter.

Information and coverage of Italian football was not as widespread back then as it is now ----> internet/live coverage. Admittedly, it is still not great but it is far better than it was. I was still relatively young and I do not know the exact circumstances but I remember Matthaus being carried off on a stretcher as a result of a knee injury and the Nerazzurri faithful applauding him off the field.

Despite being Captain, he never returned and decided to go back and play in Germany. I am unsure whether Inter were willing to wait for him to return or whether he simply decided to leave. I have always been under the impression that he took the easy way out in leaving to resume his career in Germany. But at the same time, I can understand Inter possibly no longer wanting him around as the five foreigner rule to a club and only three on the field at the same time would have been a problem for Inter, especially as Kilinsmann was also starting to struggle.

Bentex, the reason you will never hear Inter supporters speak badly of Matthaus is because he was the player that last captained us to a championship.

I think this a good thread but you seemed to leave out Hungarians. Didnt Matthaus used to coach the Hungarian national team? Maybe he still does? Maybe they realised he had no idea and decided to get rid of him. He may have been a great player for Inter but when a replacement for Cuper was being touted, I heard news that he would like to coach us and it made me cringe. I am glad he did not return to coach the club at which he had his success. Rudi Voeller should never have returned to coach Roma and hopefully Inter will not allow Matthaus or any other great Inter player to return in a coaching capacity unless their coaching skills are really special.

·
Registered
79,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inter01 said:
Bentex, the reason you will never hear Inter supporters speak badly of Matthaus is because he was the player that last captained us to a championship.

I think this a good thread but you seemed to leave out Hungarians. Didnt Matthaus used to coach the Hungarian national team? Maybe he still does? Maybe they realised he had no idea and decided to get rid of him. He may have been a great player for Inter but when a replacement for Cuper was being touted, I heard news that he would like to coach us and it made me cringe. I am glad he did not return to coach the club at which he had his success. Rudi Voeller should never have returned to coach Roma and hopefully Inter will not allow Matthaus or any other great Inter player to return in a coaching capacity unless their coaching skills are really special.

Thanks for replys.
Inter01 being a student of the world game I've never come across a player that has caused so much unrest with his team mates and club officals.
I have spoken to people and read lots of comments about him from all over the world and I am suprised there have never heard anything from Inter fans.

Lothar is still coach of Hungary, and said publicly he would take the Inter job when it was mentioned in the press a few months ago and recently on Hungarian TV.

When it was put to Germans would they like Lothar to take over as coach they all were negative. However an Interfan told me he would be perfect for the (German) job :)

I still find it difficult that Inter fans don't have any negative feeling about him... of course he was a great player but he was a great player for Bayern and Germany too.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think it also has to do with respect for what Matthaus and his fellow countrymen gave to Inter. That has not been repeated since which makes him a special player, Captain and team leader.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Matthaeus ever captained Inter? The captain during his time was Bergomi. You folks have him to thank for the scudetto back in 1989.

·
Registered
46,673 Posts
Máté, that's one hell of an avatar!

·
Registered
64,499 Posts
Thought I'd share this piece here, good little write-up
http://www.inter.it/en/news/45126

10 March 1991 must have been a day like the one yesterday that saw the Nerazzurri beat Torino at home. A calm, sunny afternoon with a gentle breeze hinting that spring is on the way. When Milan is beautiful, it's gorgeous.

Anyway, back to 10 March 1991. In Milan down on the stage of "La Scala del Calcio", history was being made, something that had never happened before then. The sun decided to stop for a few minutes and light up one person. He obviously was wearing a Nerazzurri shirt, and carried with him an aura of pure charisma, to go with an unforgettable face and a memorable smile.

It was 10 March 1991 and Lothar Matthäus, the leader of a dominant Inter side in Europe - who just a few months later would hold aloft the UEFA Cup in Rome - was ready to drive his team-mates into yet another battle, towards yet another win. Who better than he, the captain and icon of the West Germany side crowned world champions the previous June?

That day Inter beat Juventus 2-0, and he scored the first goal with a thumping drive from outside the box, just to confirm he was the best around, not just there that day, but all over the world. Because before that match one of the best-loved number 10s of all time shared the ultimate individual prize for a footballer with his fans: the light struck him just as he brandished the Ballon d'Or. He was the first ever Inter player to win it.

He will always have a place in Nerazzurri hearts. It was 10 March, 23 years ago. But to us, it really does seem like yesterday.

---

Too bad I was only a toddler back when he played for us. Based on vids he did score some nice goals for us though, like the goals against Napoli and Como (I think it was)

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Great bump, wish I was able to enjoy those Inter sides nowadays as a grown up.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Great article, but inter.it has a tendency for cheesy ass writing.

Let´s wait for Firdaus take on Lothar, the only forum member that was old enough to see Lothar, and also Lothar´s grandfather, play.

·
Registered
64,499 Posts
Carson was a fan back then, I recall him mentioning that prior.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts