Xtratime Community banner

Your ultimate premiership?

1K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  Owzat 
#1 ·
Don't ask me why I thought of this but for some reason it popped into my mind when I was out jogging as random shit tends to.

Anyway, lets say the FA come to you saying you're the only guy that can do this. They're doing away with promotion and relegation and isolating the premiership. They want you to pick the 20 clubs that should be allowed to play in it. Who do you pick?

Based on the history, size and traditions of the clubs I pick

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Birmingham City
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Chelsea
Derby County
Everton
Leeds United
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Middlesbrough
Newcastle United
Nottingham Forest
Sheffield Wednesday
Sunderland
Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham United
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Though I'm not sure if I should maybe switch Wolves with West Brom.

See less See more
#4 ·
I did consider Coventry along with Southampton. I didn't pick them because they didn't really win much save for a cup each whereas Bolton have the tradition that goes back to Nat Lofthouse.

I was closer to putting Fulham on the list than them, Preston too.

#5 ·
Rob Edwards said:
I did consider Coventry along with Southampton. I didn't pick them because they didn't really win much save for a cup each whereas Bolton have the tradition that goes back to Nat Lofthouse.

I was closer to putting Fulham on the list than them, Preston too.
why were u close to putting fulham in? they've never won anything. We've won the league more times than chelsea (until this season neway), west ham and bolton. and won it as many times as spurts. we've just been rubbish for 50 years

#6 ·
Looking at history, size and traditions, I'd say pretty much the same as Rob, though I'd make room for Preston, not sure where though.

This got me thinking, what would be my dream league of 20, looking at localness/rivalries/teams you'd just want in there, so I've made one for that

1. Derby
2. Forest
3. Leeds
4. Stoke
5. Leicester
6. Aston Villa
7. Sheff Utd
8. Sheff Wed
9. Wolves
10. Birmingham
11. Notts County
12. Chesterfield
13. Liverpool
14. Man Utd
15. West Brom
16. Man City
17. Newcastle
18. Arsenal
19. Coventry
20 Burton :)

Well that wasted some time before I go to bed.

#7 ·
Burton? :D ;)

1. Manchester United
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea
4. Newcastle
5. Aston Villa
6. Liverpool
7. Tottenham
8. Leeds
9. Sheffield United
10. Derby County
11. Southampton
12. Portsmouth
13. Everton
14. Sunderland
15. Ipswich
16. Coventry
17. Birmingham
18. Charlton
19. Stoke City
20. Reading

#8 ·
Hmmm on history and past glories add a bit of attendance into the mixture ....

1. Arsenal
2. Man Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham Hotspur
5. Wolves
6. West Brom
7. Aston Vanilla
8. Preston North End
9. Liverpool
10. Everton
11. Man City
12. Notts Forest
13. Newcastle
14. Leeds
15. Portsmouth
16. Sheffield Wednesday
17. West Ham
18. Man City
19. Bolton
20. Huddersfield Town

Teams not in it (how to slag off teams politely ;) )
Blackburn - no fans and bought 1 title.
Birmingham - what have they ever won? ;) No doubt HUGE fan base though.
Boro - Never won a lot and never a consistent top flight club.
Charlton - never amounted to much enjoying their best spell ever in the top flight
Fulham - Some history, but again never amounted to much.
Palace - see Fulham
Coventry - 1 FAC win, you must be joking!

#9 ·
Balis-of-Steel said:
Hmmm on history and past glories add a bit of attendance into the mixture ....

1. Arsenal
2. Man Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham Hotspur
5. Wolves
6. West Brom
7. Aston Vanilla
8. Preston North End
9. Liverpool
10. Everton
11. Man City
12. Notts Forest
13. Newcastle
14. Leeds
15. Portsmouth
16. Sheffield Wednesday
17. West Ham
18. Man City
19. Bolton
20. Huddersfield Town

Teams not in it (how to slag off teams politely ;) )
Blackburn - no fans and bought 1 title.
Birmingham - what have they ever won? ;) No doubt HUGE fan base though.
Boro - Never won a lot and never a consistent top flight club.
Charlton - never amounted to much enjoying their best spell ever in the top flight
Fulham - Some history, but again never amounted to much.
Palace - see Fulham
Coventry - 1 FAC win, you must be joking!

very good list. no scum either? altho theyll say they didnt win the fa cup with a fluke goal tho and spend 40 years in the top flight doing fcuk all

#10 ·
HajdukSplit said:
Burton? :D ;)

1. Manchester United
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea
4. Newcastle
5. Aston Villa
6. Liverpool
7. Tottenham
8. Leeds
9. Sheffield United
10. Derby County
11. Southampton
12. Portsmouth
13. Everton
14. Sunderland
15. Ipswich
16. Coventry
17. Birmingham
18. Charlton
19. Stoke City
20. Reading
Where the hell are city? Seriously?

My league, in a vague order, which sort of tails off after city:

1. Liverpool
2. United
3. Arsenal
4. Spurs
5. Everton
6. Villa
7. City
8. Newcastle
9. Forest
10. West Ham
11. Leeds
12. Chelsea
13. Preston
14. Bolton
15. Wolves
16. Portsmouth
17. Sheff Wed
18. Ipswich
19. Huddersfield
20. Leicester

Balis, to place WBA 6th is laughable, and you have City in your list twice

#11 ·
The Green One said:
Where the hell are city? Seriously?

My league, in a vague order, which sort of tails off after city:

1. Liverpool
2. United
3. Arsenal
4. Spurs
5. Everton
6. Villa
7. City
8. Newcastle
9. Forest
10. West Ham
11. Leeds
12. Chelsea
13. Preston
14. Bolton
15. Wolves
16. Portsmouth
17. Sheff Wed
18. Ipswich
19. Huddersfield
20. Leicester

Balis, to place WBA 6th is laughable, and you have City in your list twice
Really? I sugest you check the all time records for clubs ;)

But anyway they weren't placed in any order just so I knew I had 20! :D

Leicester?????????????????

#12 ·
Arsenal
Aston Villa
Birmingham City
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Chelsea
Derby County
Everton :shades: :shades: :shades:
Leeds United
Liverpool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Manchester City
Manchester United
Middlesbrough
Newcastle United
Nottingham Forest
Sheffield Wednesday
Sunderland
Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham United
Wolverhampton Wanderers

#13 ·
Balis-of-Steel said:

Leicester??????? indeed. The mighty team who have only ever won the league cup.

#15 ·
Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Burnley
Chelsea
Everton
Huddersfield Town
Ipswich Town
Liverpool
Leeds United
Manchester City
Manchester United
Newcastle United
Nottingham Forest
Portsmouth
Preston North End
Sheffield Wednesday
Sunderland
Tottenham
West Ham United

#16 ·
Balis-of-Steel said:

This isn't one-upmanship, but 1 League Title, 5 FA Cups and 1 League Cup makes you less successful than us, so you cannot be sixth in terms of success, and you're not bigger than us outside the trophy cabinet either.

Anyway, I included Leicester cos I was stuck for anyone else and know they've been to a few FA Cup Finals. I suffer due to the fact that I was not around for the 70s and 80s

#20 ·
i think theyve judged it as more of a historical thing. preston were the first team to win the league and huddersfield won it 3 times in a row (the first to do so).

#22 ·
Rovers - 1 League (bought)
6 FA Cups
1 League Cup

Hudds - 3 Leagues
1 FA Cup

PNE - 2 Leagues
2 FA Cups

Where as you've won more FA Cups, both teams have won more Leagues, and between 1920s-1990s, nobody outside Lancashire had heard of Blackburn. They're not a great club. PNE and Huddersfield were once great clubs, and Blackburn never have been in my book

#24 ·
The Green One said:
Rovers - 1 League (bought)
6 FA Cups
1 League Cup

Hudds - 3 Leagues
1 FA Cup

PNE - 2 Leagues
2 FA Cups

Where as you've won more FA Cups, both teams have won more Leagues, and between 1920s-1990s, nobody outside Lancashire had heard of Blackburn. They're not a great club. PNE and Huddersfield were once great clubs, and Blackburn never have been in my book
Where did you get that from? We won the league in 1911/12 and 1913/14 as well as 94/95 - that's 3 league titles.

#26 ·
from the football league website

The History Of The Football League

THE HISTORY OF THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Few would have imagined that the actions of a Perthshire-born draper would lead to the creation of the greatest football competition in the world and set the standards for everyone else to follow.

The Football League was the brainchild of William McGregor, a portly and genial Scotsman who became a director at Aston Villa after being attracted to the club by the fact they had three of his countrymen in their side.

McGregor had moved to Birmingham to seek his fortune and opened a linen draper’s shop near Villa Park. His love of football then took over and allowed him to change the course of the national game.

With the onset of the age of professionalism in 1885, football had become a disorganised shambles with games constantly being called off because clubs had arranged more lucrative matches elsewhere.

McGregor decided that football needed order and he wrote to the leading clubs of the time putting forward a proposal that they should combine to arrange home and away fixtures each season – and thus the seeds of The Football League were sown.

The plans were announced at a meeting at Anderton’s Hotel in Fleet Street on 22 March 1888, and the first league kicked off on 8 September 1888 with12 member clubs: Preston North End, Bolton Wanderers, Everton, Burnley, Accrington, Blackburn Rovers, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Notts County, Derby County and Stoke.

Jack Gordon of Preston is widely regarded as scoring the first goal of the new competition - although this is disputed in some quarters due to claims that North End's game kicked off 45 minutes later than others that day. But what is not disputed is the fact that North End went on to claim the first Football League Championship without losing a game, and win the FA Cup without conceding a goal.

After Preston had repeated their success the following season the remainder of the century was dominated by McGregor’s beloved Aston Villa and Sunderland (a replacement for Stoke in The League), who won eight titles between them before the end of the century.

Minor changes to the rules drawn up at the first meeting of the clubs were made along the way, including the introduction of goal nets and penalty kicks in 1891, and promotion and relegation introduced after the league expanded to two divisions of 18 teams in 1898.

The powerbase shifted to Liverpool, Newcastle and Manchester United at the start of the new century, but southern sides were gradually finding a foothold in the previously northern dominated league. Woolwich Arsenal, Tottenham, Clapton Orient and Chelsea, with the legendary 6ft 2in, 22 stone Bill ‘Fatty’ Foulke in goal, were all elected to the league during the first decade of the 20th century.

The Great War interrupted the progress of the League for four years, but not before the north had continued its dominance with title wins for Blackburn (twice), Sunderland and Everton in the four years preceding the onset of hostilities.

The post war period saw major changes in the rules and composition of the league. The first and second divisions were expanded to 22 teams immediately after the war and within two years the Third Divisions North and South were introduced.

Perhaps more notable was the change to the offside rule which came into effect in 1925 with the number of opponents needed to keep a player onside reduced from three to two. This resulted in a huge increase in the number of goals scored, from 4,700 in 1924 to 6,373 in the first season under the new law.

One of the main beneficiaries of the new law was the incomparable Everton forward Dixie Dean who set a league record of 60 goals in the 1927-28 season.

The 1920’s also saw the emergence of one of the greatest managers in the history of the game – Herbert Chapman.

The Yorkshireman led Huddersfield to two consecutive titles before he moved south to take charge of Arsenal, who had just avoided relegation the previous season, and led his new side to second place – five points behind his old club who claimed an unprecedented third title in a row.

But Chapman’s ability to create a winning team was to reinforced in the 1930’s as, despite his death from pneumonia in 1934, the Gunners dominated the League claiming five titles during the decade, including the matching of Huddersfield’s record of a hat-trick of titles.

The Highbury giants’ success ended the north’s dominance after it had claimed the first 38 titles on offer.

Chapman’s success allowed him to exert a huge influence on the game and he was the first to put forward the idea of floodlit games, numbered shirts (which were officially introduced in 1939), white balls and all-weather pitches.

The League was suspended at the end of the 1939 season at the onset of the Second World War and returned to huge crowds on Saturday 31 August 1946.

Aggregate crowds in that first season were 35,604,606 and they were to keep on rising.

The first two seasons saw normal order resume with Championship successes for Liverpool and Arsenal before a new face emerged in the unlikely guise of Portsmouth. The south coast club, playing to the tune of the now familiar ‘Play up Pompey’ chant, claimed back-to-back titles in 1949 and 1950 – the club’s only successes to date.

But at the end of the 1940’s a new force was emerging which was to provide the highest and lowest points of the coming decade – Manchester United and the Busby Babes.

Busby took over at United in 1945, when the Reds were playing their matches at Maine Road due to extensive bomb damage at Old Trafford, and they finished as runners-up in the Championship in four of the five seasons after the war.

That young United side, led by the incomparable Duncan Edwards, went on to claim three titles during the 1950’s. But the team’s success was brought to a tragic end when the plane carrying them home from a European Cup tie in Yugoslavia crashed on take off at Munich airport, killing 23 people, including eight players.

United’s League success was matched by that of Stan Cullis’s Wolverhampton Wanderers, who won the title in 1954, 1958 and 1959 playing with what critics called a ‘kick and rush’ style. Wolves were also crowned unofficial world champions – by their own manager – after excellent victories against Moscow Spartak and a Honved team containing many of the Hungary side that had humbled England 6-3 at Wembley – the first time England had lost there to continental opponents.

The decade threw up famous names such as Billy Wright, of Wolves, who was the first player to earn more than 100 caps for England, Stanley Matthews, the ‘Wizard of Dribble’ at Stoke and Blackpool and Nat Lofthouse, Bolton’s powerhouse centre-forward.

Herbert Chapman’s dream of floodlit football, which came from watching a game in Austria played under the illumination of car headlights, came to fruition on 22 February 1956 when Portsmouth entertained Newcastle at Fratton Park and midweek football at night became the norm.

The 1960’s arrived in swinging style and became a decade when football moved forward yet again producing new competitions, new legends and new pay deals.

Football League secretary Alan Hardaker came up with the idea for a new cup competition and the League Cup was born in 1961.

The competition was open to the 92 clubs in The League and the first two-legged final in 1961 saw First Division Aston Villa beat Second Division Rotherham 3-2 after extra time.

Some of the bigger clubs initial apathy towards the competition soon evaporated and by 1967 the final had become a one-off affair and moved to a new home at Wembley.

The teams of the decade were undoubtedly Tottenham Hotspur - who in 1961, under the coaching of Bill Nicholson and captaincy of Danny Blanchflower, won the first League and FA Cup double since Aston Villa in 1897 - Manchester United, Liverpool and Leeds.

Manchester United were rebuilt after the Munich disaster and won League Championships in 1965 and 1967 before going on to claim the European Cup with a 4-1 win against Benfica on an emotional night at Wembley.

Meanwhile Bill Shankly was creating a Liverpool side that won the Championship in 1964 and 1966 and would go on to dominate the Football League during the 1970’s.

Leeds emerged from near relegation to the Third Division to storm to the League title in 1969 after winning the League Cup and European Fairs Cup the previous year. Revered coach Don Revie created a side that was full of skill but also epitomised the manager’s ‘win at all costs’ attitude.

The likes of Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, George Best, Rodney Marsh, Dave Mackay, Billy Bremner, Ian Callaghan, Johnny Giles, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Jimmy Greaves became household names as the League’s success continued.

And the players suddenly found life in the Swinging 60’s a lot more rewarding as the maximum wage of £20 per week was scrapped after a campaign led by then PFA chairman Jimmy Hill.

The major rule change of the decade saw the introduction of substitutes, initially in 1965 for injuries, and then a year later for any reason.

The 1970’s started with Arsenal repeating North London rivals Tottenham’s feat of completing the League and Cup double. The Gunners beat Liverpool in extra-time to clinch the FA Cup before travelling to Spurs of all places in their final league game and clinching the win with a late Ray Kennedy goal.

But the rest of the decade was a tale of two managers with very different personalities and approaches to the game.

Brian Clough had proven himself as an outstanding centre-forward, scoring an incredible 251 goals in 274 games for Middlesbrough and Sunderland, before injury cut his career short. He then started his managerial career with Hartlepool before moving on to Derby where he earned his first success.

His abrasive manner brought him into conflict with the authorities, but by 1972 he had led the Rams to the League Championship. But Clough’s manner created problems with the Derby board and he resigned in 1973 and joined Brighton, before an ill-fated 44 days in charge at Leeds, a team he had openly criticised in the past.

He linked up again with coach Peter Taylor at Nottingham Forest and went on to secure the League title and League Cup in 1978, and the European Cup and League Cup again a year later.

But on Merseyside the Liverpool hot-seat had seen a quiet transition from Bill Shankly to his assistant Bob Paisley who, in his own down-to-earth style, went about creating one of the greatest teams in the history of the League.

The Mighty Reds would claim the League title on four occasions before the end of the decade plus the FA Cup in 1974 and European Cup in 1977.

The major rule change saw the scrapping of the two-up and two-down promotion and relegation system to three-up and three-down in the 1973/74 season.

The 1980’s continued with Liverpool still the team to beat.

Although Aston Villa won the Championship in 1981 and the European Cup a year later, Liverpool would claim six of the next nine titles, including a hat-trick to equal the record held by Arsenal and Huddersfield. For good measure they also won the League Cup on four consecutive occasions. In fact the decade was one of Merseyside domination as Everton picked up two titles to break up the Liverpool run.

Even with three different managers – Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish - the Anfield express sped majestically along on the domestic front. But the European campaign – and that of English clubs generally – was brought to a halt by the deaths of 39 Juventus supporters at the 1985 European Cup Final between Liverpool and the Turin giants.

A UEFA ban followed this latest outrage in what had become known as the ‘English Disease’ – hooliganism.

Before the Heysel Stadium tragedy the First Division had become one of the most powerful leagues in the world with Football League clubs winning seven European Cups in nine years.

Despite the influx of money into the game through sponsorship deals with Canon, the Today newspaper and Barclays Bank backing the League, and Littlewoods and the Milk Marketing Board supporting the League Cup, the game was perhaps at its lowest ebb.

Attendances were falling, club’s finances were spiralling out of control, hooliganism was a national problem and the best players were beginning to be attracted by the lure of foreign leagues.

Rule changes, such as the introduction of three points for a win in 1981, had made football more attack-minded. And the relegation and promotion play-offs introduced in1987 (in part to reduce the First Division to 20 clubs over two seasons) made for excitement for many clubs right until the end of the season.

Other changes including the introduction of the so-called ‘plastic pitches’ at QPR, Luton, Preston and Oldham and automatic promotion from the Conference caused controversy, while major developments in football stadia were proposed following the Heysel disaster and the fatal fire at Bradford’s Valley Parade, which claimed 56 lives.

The game was receiving even greater coverage through live television – but changes were still needed.

Going into its centenary season in 1988 the League was forced to stave off a threat by 10 of the leading teams to break away and form a Super League in the hunt for more television money.

But the lure of more money, and the arrival of Sky TV, was to change football dramatically and the 1990’s would see football explode into the major entertainment business it is today.

On the pitch Liverpool and Arsenal exchanged the Championship for four years in the late 80’s and early 90’s – including the Gunners dramatic last minute clincher at Anfield in 1989 – before Leeds claimed the final First Division title in 1992.

On the terraces changes were also taking place following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 in which 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death during the club’s FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest. All-seater stadiums with levels of comfort unheard of in the past were becoming the norm thanks to the extra money coming into the game via TV revenue.

But rumblings of discontent had started in 1991 with the FA’s unveiling of their ‘Blueprint for Football’ which put forward the idea of a Super League of 18 clubs. The Football League strongly resisted the proposals, but on June 14, 1991 16 First Division clubs signed a document of intent to join the newly named Premier League.

Eventually all 22 First Division clubs tendered their resignation from the League and, after months of financial wranglings and threats of a players’ strike, the FA Premier League became official on September 23.

The FA agreed to continue with three up and three down promotion and relegation, vowed to reduce the Premier League to 20 and struck a record five-year £304 million television deal with Sky and BBC.

ITV failed to get High Court injunctions against the new deal, but did seal a £24 million package with The Football League for live coverage of its games.

The main aspect of football in the 90’s was that, while the Premiership title seemed to take up constant residence at Old Trafford, the cup competitions and League threw up a succession of different winners.

Aston Villa were the only side to win the League Cup on more than one occasion while, despite early doubts that the League would be left behind by the new Premiership, First Division teams became stronger and stronger throughout the decade and handled promotion better.

And the replacement of the promotion and relegation play-offs with one-off promotion finals at the end of the 1990 campaign created an end of season spectacle that has produced some of the most dramatic football occasions ever.

Charlton’s dramatic penalty shoot-out success against Sunderland in 1998, Bolton’s come-from-behind win against Reading in 1995 and Manchester City’s win on penalties against Gillingham in 1999, after being 2-0 down with just four minutes left, are just three examples of classic Play-Off Finals.

And when the finals (including the Worthington Cup) moved to Cardiff’s spectacular Millennium Stadium in 2001 the drama continued unabated.

But the 2001/2002 season proved to be a momentous one for The Football League for the wrong reasons.

Off the field issues dominated headlines and the fact that the aggregate attendances for the season surpassed 15 million, the highest figure for more than 30 years, was lost.

There was a threatened strike by the Professional Footballers Association over its share of television income from football's governing bodies, a proposed breakaway by First Division clubs that failed to materialise, attempts by Scottish giants Rangers and Celtic to join the Nationwide League, Wimbledon FC were given permission to relocate 60 miles away from the clubs historical home and the ITV Digital deal collapsed.

The latter plunged the League's clubs into serious financial trouble and defeat in a court case against ITV Digital's owners Carlton and Granada, aimed at reclaiming the £130 million left outstanding from the deal, prompted the resignation of League Chief Executive David Burns and Chairman Keith Harris.

On the plus side a new four-year television deal worth £95 million was signed with Sky and it was agreed that promotion and relegation between the League and the Nationwide Conference would increase to two up-two down.

With clubs facing a huge shortfall in their revenue the Football League faces a testing time over the coming seasons.

Key moments:

1885 Professionalism legalized
1888 Football League founded
1891 Goal nets introduced, penalty kick introduced
1898 Promotion and relegation introduced
1925 New offside law
1938 Laws re-written
1939 Player numbers
1951 White ball first used
1956 First floodlit game – Portsmouth v Newcastle
1960 League Cup launched
1961 Maximum wage removed
1965 Substitution allowed for injuries
1966 Substitution allowed for any reason
1973 3 up and 3 down promotion and relegation introduced
1981 3 points for a win
1982 League Cup sponsored – Milk Cup
1983 League sponsored by Canon
1986 Littlewoods Cup, league sponsored by Today newspaper
1987 Play-offs (promotion and relegation)
1992 First Division breaks away to form Premier League

LEAGUE HONOURS

Div 1 Div2 Div3 Div4

2001/2002 Manchester C Brighton Plymouth
2000/2001 Fulham Millwall Brighton
1999/2000 Charlton Preston NE Swansea
1998/1999 Sunderland Fulham Brentford
1997/1998 Nottingham F Watford Notts County
1996/1997 Bolton W Bury Wigan Athletic
1995/1996 Sunderland Swindon Preston NE
1994/1995 Middlesbrough Birmingham Carlisle
1993/1994 Crystal Palace Reading Shrewsbury
1992/1993 Newcastle Stoke Cardiff
Premier League created
1991/1992 Leeds Ipswich Brentford Burnley
1990/1991 Arsenal Oldham Cambridge Darlington
1989/1990 Liverpool Leeds Bristol R Exeter
1988/1989 Arsenal Chelsea Wolves Rotherham
1987/1988 Liverpool Millwall Sunderland Wolves
1986/1987 Everton Derby Bournemouth Northampton
1985/1986 Liverpool Norwich Reading Swindon
1984/1985 Everton Oxford Bradford C Chesterfield
1983/1984 Liverpool Chelsea Oxford York
1982/1983 Liverpool QPR Portsmouth Wimbledon
1981/1982 Liverpool Luton Burnley Sheffield Utd
1980/1981 Aston Villa West Ham Rotherham Southend
1979/1980 Liverpool Leicester C Grimsby T Huddersfield T
1978/1979 Liverpool Crystal Palace Shrewsbury T Reading
1977/1978 Nottingham F Bolton W Wrexham Watford
1976/1977 Liverpool Wolves Mansfield T Cambridge U
1975/1976 Liverpool Sunderland Hereford U Lincoln C
1974/1975 Derby C Manchester U Blackburn R Mansfield T
1973/1974 Leeds U Middlesbrough Oldham A Peterborough U
1972/1973 Liverpool Burnley Bolton W Southport
1971/1972 Derby C Norwich C Aston Villa Grimsby T
1970/1971 Arsenal Leicester C Preston NE Notts C
1969/1970 Everton Huddersfield T Orient Chesterfield
1968/1969 Leeds U Derby C Watford Doncaster R
1967/1968 Manchester C Ipswich Oxford U Luton T
1966/1967 Manchester U Coventry C QPR Stockport C
1965/1966 Liverpool Manchester C Hull C Doncaster R
1964/1965 Manchester U Newcastle U Carlisle U Brighton
1963/1964 Liverpool Leeds U Coventry C Gillingham
1962/1963 Everton Stoke C Northampton T Brentford
1961/1962 Ipswich Liverpool Portsmouth Millwall
1960/1961 Tottenham H Ipswich Bury Peterborough U
1959/1960 Burnley Aston Villa Southampton Walsall
1958/1959 Wolves Sheffield W Plymouth A Port Vale
Fourth Division created
1957/1958 Wolves West Ham U Scunthorpe U (N)
Brighton (S)
1956/57 Manchester U Leicester C Derby C (N)
Ipswich (S)
1955/1956 Manchester U Sheffield W Grimsby T (N)
Leyton Orient (S)
1954/1955 Chelsea Birmingham C Barnsley (N)
Bristol C (S)
1953/1954 Wolves Leicester C Port Vale (N)
Ipswich (S)
1952/1953 Arsenal Sheffield U Oldham A (N)
Bristol R (S)
1951/1952 Manchester U Sheffield W Lincoln C (N)
Plymouth A (S)
1950/1951 Tottenham H Preston NE Rotherham U (N)
Nottingham F (S)
1949/1950 Portsmouth Tottenham H Doncaster R (N)
Notts C (S)
1948/1949 Portsmouth Fulham Hull C (N)
Swansea T (S)
1947/1948 Arsenal Birmingham C Lincoln C (N)
QPR (S)
1946/1947 Liverpool Manchester C Doncaster R (N)
Cardiff C (S)
1939/1946 League suspended due to World War Two
1938/1939 Everton Blackburn R Barnsley (N)
Newport C (S)
1937/1938 Arsenal Aston Villa Tranmere R (N)
Millwall (S)
1936/1937 Manchester C Leicester C Stockport C (N)
Luton T (S)
1935/1936 Sunderland Manchester U Chesterfield (N)
Coventry C (S)
1934/1935 Arsenal Brentford Doncaster R (N)
Charlton A (S)
1933/1934 Arsenal Grimsby T Barnsley (N)
Norwich C (S)
1932/1933 Arsenal Stoke C Hull C (N)
Brentford (S)
1931/1932 Everton Wolves Lincoln C (N)
Fulham (S)
1930/1931 Arsenal Everton Chesterfield (N)
Notts C (S)
1929/1930 Sheffield W Blackpool Port Vale (N)
Plymouth A (S)
1928/1929 Sheffield W Middlesbrough Bradford C (N)
Charlton A (S)
1927/1928 Everton Manchester C Bradford PA (N)
Millwall (S)
1926/1927 Newcastle U Middlesbrough Stoke C (N)
Bristol C (S)
1925/1926 Huddersfield T Sheffield W Grimsby T (N)
Reading (S)
1924/1925 Huddersfield T Leicester C Darlington (N)
Swansea (S)
1923/1924 Huddersfield T Leeds U Wolves (N)
Porstmouth (S)
1922/1923 Liverpool Notts C Nelson (N)
Bristol C (S)
1921/1922 Liverpool Nottingham F Stockport C (N)
Southampton (S)
Third Division North and South created
1920/1921 Burnley Birmingham Crystal Palace
Third Division created
1919/1920 WBA Tottenham H
1915/1919 League suspended due to World War One
1914/1915 Everton Derby C
1913/1914 Blackburn R Notts C
1912/1913 Sunderland Preston NE
1911/1912 Blackburn R Derby C
1910/1911 Manchester U WBA
1909/1910 Aston Villa Manchester C
1908/1909 Newcastle U Bolton W
1907/1908 Manchester U Bradford C
1906/1907 Newcastle U Nottingham F
1905/1906 Liverpool Bristol C
1904/1905 Newcastle U Liverpool
1903/1904 The Wednesday Preston NE
1902/1903 The Wednesday Manchester C
1901/1902 Sunderland WBA
1900/1901 Liverpool Grimsby T
1899/1900 Aston Villa The Wednesday
1898/1899 Aston Villa Manchester C
1897/1898 Sheffield U Burnley
1896/1897 Aston Villa Notts C
1895/1896 Aston Villa Liverpool
1894/1895 Sunderland Bury
1893/1894 Aston Villa Liverpool
1892/1893 Sunderland Small Heath
Division Two created
1891/1892 Sunderland
1890/1891 Everton
1889/1890 Preston NE
1888/1889 Preston NE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.