Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't have to be year by year but I'm doing it this way. The threads I've made here over the years helped a bit (although I'm surprised by some of my ratings in there).

2010: Winter's Bone (D. Granik) 9.5/10 Best Movies of the 21st Century
2011: Play (R. Östlund) 9.5/10
2012: L (B. Makridis) 9.5/10
2013: Inside Lwellyn Davies (Coen bros) 10/10
2014: Clouds of Sils Maria (O. Assayas) 10/10
2015: A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (R. Andersson) 9.5/10 Best Movies 2015
2016: The End of the Tour (J. Ponsoldt) 9.5/10 Best Movies 2016
2017: Silence (M. Scorsese) 9.5/10 Best Movies 2017
2018: Wild Pear Tree (N. B. Ceylan) 9.5/10
2019: Nobadi (K. Markovics) 9.5/10

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
IMO one of the worst decades of film, if not the worst. However I say this not having seen near as many films as I have from say the 00's, 90's. Not seen a single film from Andy's list.

These are the films I most enjoyed from the 2010's

Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Whiplash
Jagten
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Wind Rises
The Help
Ex Machina
Life of Pi
Dunkirk

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO one of the worst decades of film, if not the worst. However I say this not having seen near as many films as I have from say the 00's, 90's. Not seen a single film from Andy's list.
well there are only 4 American movies on my list and only one of these is Hollywood production

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top 10 American movies of 2010's (random order)

The End of the Tour
Inside Llewyn Davies (this time with correct spelling!)
Birdman
Boyhood
Silence
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Big Short
The Bling Ring
Winter's Bone
La La Land

i might have forgotten something...

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I'm just choosing from films I happen to have watched/rewatched during the last couple of years because you tend to forget. Hard to pick just one from each year, of course, even with that limitation.

2010: Uncle Boonmee (Weerasetakul something)
2011: Girl Walk, All Day (it's on youtube)
2012: Drug War (Johnnie To)
2013: The Tale of Princess Kaguya (that other Ghibli guy)
2014: American Sniper (Clint Eastwood)
2015: Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sangsoo)
2016: Love & Friendship (Whit Stilman)
2017: Brawl in Cell Block 99 (S Craig Zahler)
2018: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coens)
2019: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino)

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Great stuff, taking note.

Too busy to do a proper list of my own right now, but a few not yet mentioned are:

- A Separation (Asghar Farhadi)

- Foxtrot (Samuel Maoz)

- Neighboring Sounds (Kleber Mendonça Filho)

- Nebraska (Alexander Payne)

- The Salesman (Asghar Farhadi)

- Aquarius (Kleber Mendonça Filho)

- Roma (Alfonso Cuarón)

- Manchester by the Sea (Ken Lonergan)

- Cold War (Paweł Pawlikowski)

- The Witch (Robert Eggers)

- The Insult (Ziad Doueiri)

- Parasite (Boon Joon-ho)

- Beginners (Mike Mills)

- Moonlight (Barry Jenkins)

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
It doesn't have to be year by year but I'm doing it this way. The threads I've made here over the years helped a bit (although I'm surprised by some of my ratings in there).

2010: Winter's Bone (D. Granik) 9.5/10 Best Movies of the 21st Century
2011: Play (R. Östlund) 9.5/10
2012: L (B. Makridis) 9.5/10
2013: Inside Lwellyn Davies (Coen bros) 10/10
2014: Clouds of Sils Maria (O. Assayas) 10/10

2015: A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (R. Andersson) 9.5/10 Best Movies 2015
2016: The End of the Tour (J. Ponsoldt) 9.5/10 Best Movies 2016
2017: Silence (M. Scorsese) 9.5/10 Best Movies 2017
2018: Wild Pear Tree (N. B. Ceylan) 9.5/10
2019: Nobadi (K. Markovics) 9.5/10
Marked the three I've seen.

Play, like Östlund's other films, thought-provoking and conceptually interesting, and btw his films are pushing the envelope in terms of political correctness, especially for a Swede.

I too love Inside Llewyn Davies.

Clouds of Sils Maria I saw some years back (might've been on Andy's recommendation, actually. I don't really remember it well, didn't catch the whole meta gig perhaps, but could well be that I'll rate it highly upon rewatch, Assayas is a smart guy and it has some great actresses.

Hadn't heard of Makris or seen Winter's Bone.

I don't think I've seen an Roy Andersson film in ten years, but I am/was a fan, and I would like to catch up. Though as I've mentioned before, I have developed sort of an aversion to certain forms of miserabilism, which has been fairly pervasive in European art cinema for decades now (there are even hints of it in Östlund's films, another Swedish director of commercials).

I haven't read David Foster Wallace's books, don't know if you have to in order to enjoy the biopic.

I haven't gotten around to Silence, but I suspect I'll like it a lot.

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia by Ceylan might've been a contender for me for 2011, though it was in 2012 or so that I watched it. Haven't seen his more recent films (btw they're getting so long!).

Nobadi you mentioned recently, not sure there'll ever be a bluray or streaming for that one, let alone a threatrical release.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts

These are the films I most enjoyed from the 2010's

Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Whiplash
Jagten
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Wind Rises
The Help
Ex Machina
Life of Pi
Dunkirk

I liked La La Land and more so First Man, but I've sort of been putting off watching Whiplash... firstly because it seems to me a bit silly to apply the sports genre tropes to a film about, well, art, and secondly (relatedly) some jazz music friends of mine have been putting it down a bit, and I fear that this would be too much of a distraction (but then of course actual soldiers and astronauts also point out inaccuracies in war movies and space movies...)

Jagten.. I'm not that big on Vintherberg, maybe it's an internal Dane thing.

Ex Machina, good to see films grable with the tech guru problem, despite it being hard to make films about information technology.

Life of Pi was one of my few good 3D experiences.

Love Dunkirk (much better than 1917 btw). Inception I saw in the theater, but didn't make much sense of it, would like to try and break it down sometime. I generally like Nolan's puzzle movies much better than the Batman ones. Am defenitely looking forward to Tenet.

Haven't seen The Help.

Only got 20 mins or so into Grand Budapest. Smart guy, Wes Anderson, but I need to break his films down too in a way, not sure I really get them yet.

Want to see The Wind Rises.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
- Cold War (Paweł Pawlikowski)

This was a good one for 2018. No euromiserabilism there, ;) more like oldschool upper middle class arthouse modernism, with fairly overt references to L'Eclisse, Journey to Italy, and so on. I was especially impressed with the editing, it's only around 90 minutes long despite it picturing a love affair spanning several decades and several different countries and political/cultural environments. You could almost say it was done in a brisk Soviet montage style.

·
Registered
42,668 Posts
2010 Brotherhood - Danish movie about some gay Neo Nazis. Not sure if it qualifies but it released in Denmark in 2010, 2009 at Sundance.
2011 Kung Fu Panda 2
2012 Ruby Sparks
2013 Nebraska
2014 When Marnie Was There
2015 Sicario, The Lobster, Ex Machina - no real stand out
2016 Arrival
2017 -
2018 -
2019 -

Favourite movie of the decade: Nebraska.

·
Registered
44,288 Posts
I thought Grand Budapest was fantastic in so many ways. The whole movie is a living artwork.

I watched part of Life of Pi but it rubbed me the wrong way. I love the book and I thought the movie didn't do it justice. The characters and setting seemed very underwhelming visually and went against what I pictured. From what I watched, it really seemed like they felt the story wasn't strong enough on its own and they needed to make it more action-packed and dramatic to keep viewers interested. That also undermined the underlying messages (for me).

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
It's been 7 or 8 years (christ) and I havent read the book, only remember the shipwreck scene reminded me of childhood favourite The Black Stallion and being very impressed with it in 3D, a technology I don't usually like.

Though Godard did some of his better cranky weird stuff with 3D in Goodbye to Language and last year I saw Long Days Journey into Night from the new hot thing in festival cinema, Bi Gan. The second half of that film is one long-take in 3D.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
well there are only 4 American movies on my list and only one of these is Hollywood production
That's exactly it... overall I've seen far less 2010's releases than say 2000's, and in the 2000's I watched far more non-American films than I do now. Filmmakers like fx Ceylan, Moodysson, Almodovar, Inarritu, Cuaron; they were very much on my radar in the 00's but not so much now.

·
Registered
13,698 Posts
I'm not a big movie person but of the ones I've watched I liked:

1. Interstellar
2. Roma
3. Django Unchained
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Mr. Church
6. Green Book
7. The Social Network
8. Guardians of the Galaxy