Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm currently chatting to my good mate Boomer and we got on the subject of transfers.

anyway, the topic of Becks came up. Its no secret that Thuram will most likely be leaving and heading for Real Madrid. Morientes was rumoured as part of the deal which could be good for us if trez does leave.

However, with rumours of Becks leaving now, i think we should go for him. He is obviously an upgrade to Camoranesi. He has a higher work rate, can defend better (i'm sure others will criticise that comment, but that is the people who havent watched becks for the past 4 or so seasons) and he would be great for set pieces.

Now, with Thuram being part of the deal, and possibly even the likes of a Camoranesi or Tudor (they might accept a decent defender), i believe that we could becks.

i suppose London would be his preferred destination, especially now that his wife will have him by the balls and she loves London and wants to live there. but becks has always admired Juventus and he always said that one day, he would like to play with his good friend Del Piero. So it isnt totally impossible.

i think it would be a good idea, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
780 Posts
now that we hve some financial problems and we're trying to lower wages and off load hight earners, i doubt that paying beckham's wages is the answer. i'm not sure how he'd do in italy. but it will be intersting to see what happens, if we were very comfortable financially. i'll tell you one thing, he will definetly sell alot of shirts. ;)

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
yesterday i heard a rumour about chelsea they want to get Trez
they asked moggi for the price

he said Trez = crespo + 10m

although i hate moggi but i have to admit he is a hell of manager

btw whats moggi role in juve ?

i guess its general manager or something not sure

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
There's one big doubt i have about such a proposed deal.

Why on earth would Real Madrid want to buy Thuram and sell Beckham?

Thuram has been absolute tripe this season, and dare i say would not be much of an upgrade for their defence. Plus he's on the wrong side of 30, and it seems quite shortsighted to buy an underperforming player in the twilight of his career.

In contrast, Becks is in his prime, he's settled and performing well in Spain and he is hugely marketable. Plus Real have just bought him, why would they sell him instead of someone like Figo?

Real Madrid are eccentrics not fools, and they'd have to be the latter to agree to such a deal even if we included cash. Besides, i think the Real management are starting to understand that they need to change their approach to transfers, which doesn't bode well with such a prospective deal.

In any case, we have more urgent priorities and we'll need all the cash we can amass to fulfill them.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
I don't think chucking Makelele away for the price they got from Chelski was necessarily their mistake, it was not obtaining a replacement for him.

They could have moved Helguera back to DM, where he was a great player but that would have meant buying a defender.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Nero said:
I don't think chucking Makelele away for the price they got from Chelski was necessarily their mistake, it was not obtaining a replacement for him.
Completely agree.

In any case; Beckham's commercial value means that his fee will be more than substantial, and irrespective of the going on's concerning Thuram- he's out of our price range. Not a chance in hell of him coming.
He's a very good player of course, but in my opinion not at all what we need. We could get 3-4 or 5 players that would improve us for that kind of money (if we had it).

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Glen: 1 or 5 secondhand players, you mean! :eek:...

Let's draw a parralel here. You don't have anything to wear in that wardrobe of yours. What's your next move? Would you rather go to the corners discount supermarket in the pursuit of spending your dough on a couple of dull shirts, or would you rather buy the one you saw through the shop-window, which cost a shedload -ain't that the price for being hip and trendy?

A matter of preference I guess... Surely as the PeterWerth model you are (aka fashion victim), you should agree with me.

;)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Not really Steph. I believe Abramovich would make the Beckham transfer the biggest in history by some distance.

Obviously- going by the price he went for upon leaving Man.U... then I'd agree.

But any Zidane like fee would enable us to get quality like Mexés, Ferrari, Gilardino and Pizarro + fascilitate the expenses for a free transfer sign on fee to Kapo and eventually someone else (keen on Renato for instance).

In any case... where would you play Beckham and who should he replace?

As for your example... problem is we don't have a shedload... unless Mr. Umberto Agnelli were to say so, and nothing suggests he will... whereas he might be the one determining that Lippi is gone. Like he did with Ancelotti.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe i should have stated why i have started this topic. Nero mentioned that Becks wouldnt leave so soon after joining Real. The only reason why i am mentioning this is because Real Madrid dont tolerate the type of shit that Becks is facing right now in relation to his affairs with his secretary and the whorebag aussie from perth. Hence, if it doesnt get settled soon, i believe they will offload simply because it does kind of put Real in the bad limelight as such also.

As for competing with Roman, well, its simple. We cannot do so. As for Thuram not being good anymore, well, i believe that is disrespectful towards him. He is still more than capable, he still has his speed and its just more form at the moment, which probably corresponds to the whole defence being shit this season.

Real are interested in thuram, that is a fact. We do have players to offer them, players which they could use right now, ie. defenders.

i think it is worth a try, even if its very unlikely to happen.

btw, Becks is an upgrade to Camoranesi, and he could be our right winger. i dont think we would have a problem finding a spot for him.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Nero said:
He was their best player by a country mile last year. Who exactly are you gonna get to single handedly shield the defence so brilliantly like he did last year?

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Paolo_Montero said:
He was their best player by a country mile last year. Who exactly are you gonna get to single handedly shield the defence so brilliantly like he did last year?
Between an Helguera who's constantly told to change position and an incredibly dissapointing Cambiasso, worthwhile DM's were pretty scarce at Real Madrid as soon as last season -and more so now obviously. That's why Makalele's emphatic contribution got even more accentuated. He was the only one the team could really rely on to make a whole department go round, and not only God now knows the importance of that department.

Truthfully, it's circumstances that made Makelele look irreplaceable. That's it and that's all ! Surely, for the price he went, Makalele could've easily been replaced and the position fixed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts