Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell us what you think about the first couple of days of the tournament. What do you think of the stadiums, atmosphere etc. The TV coverage?

And who you think will win ;)

Reveal all :cool:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So far i think this has been the best world cup for many years. Apart from the first game which was a little bit of a let-down, especially by the French, all the games have been of a top standard. Its actually good to see teams going out for a win, and not trying to play for just a point (like the defensive '94 WC). And i cant recall ever seeing so many posts and crossbars being hit.... its all good:D

I really dont know who will win this WC, its too damn close to call. But im hoping that just for once Spain can win it. They have underachieved in the past, its about time they came to the party and won something. Go Spain!!!

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I pretty much agree with what Pao said

However if as expected Spain and Portugal meet in the quarter finals, unless Portugal turn out to be a very boring team (highly unlikely) then my support will lie with the Red and green, even though i want to see Spain do well to justify the strength of their league is due to home grown stars and not just foreign imports

Both nations have been very strong at youth level but both have flattered to decieve on the big stage. However because Portugal are a much smaller country and have a nicer language ;) that is while i'll support them if these two teams meet :)

p.s how dare you quote Alan Parry Pao :yuck: :irritate: :fero:.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
thoughts on the world cup.........

Denmark have played the most attractive soccer to date, Italy have been ultra impressive and to me are the team to beat, England have the pieces to the puzzle, just have to put them together, Spain look very skillful, but I have reservations abt their defence, Morientes has to start!

Brasil are feeble, their 'stars' are not much to write home abt, Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho are all over-rated. Argentina were not impressive at all, but have the talent, France gee wiz they were a dissapointment. Of the african teams only Cameroon has shown any real class.

At this early stage it seems as if what pao says is true teams want to go for the win which is good for football, but Im dissapointed in the lack of real individual talents. Soccer has changed too much the past decade, no-one has the ability anymore to consistantly control a game single-handed b/c they just get triple and quadruple teamed :sigh:

Croatia were hopeless, pathetic against mexico, slow, too defensive oriented and old. Saudis were attrocious and Uruguay are nothing.

let portugal roll on.......

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Ygor Titov scored first for Russia today - which was highly beneficial for me ;)

Now all I need is for Ballack to score first for Germany, Cameroon to somehow win their group and for Vieri to win the golden boot and I'll be more than happy :D

·
International
9,526 Posts
I look at Saudi and I think to myself, 'what would Aussie have been capable of if they'd had been in their place'. Its a travesty that an outfit like that are there. I know everyone deserves a shot, but honestly, it was men against boys.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Don't start me ...

In the past 18 months we've beaten France, Brazil, Mexico, Scotland, Uruguay, blah blah blah ...

Then I turn on the telly and see Saudi Arabia and China running around ...

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Yeah I do feel unhappy at times when I see how shocking some teams in the World Cup have been... and a full-strength Australia playing well would have done well at this World Cup and would have walked over some of the teams there. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great World Cup because we've seen the "mighty" (highly rated, highly-paid teams motivated by money and nothing else) fall spectacularly. And IMHO, it's only for the good of football because finally, people can wake up and see all the hype and money surrounding them is unjustified. And they can see that this obsession of money and European competitions is RUINING OUR BELOVED SPORT.

Sorry for the rant, but I do feel I have a right to lament :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Well i agree with you that many of the teams at the WC have much weaker teams that Australia (and some probably weaker than NZ as well :eekani: ) but as someone (can't remember who)said "the game is won on the field, not on paper" and i think this is a major reason why we are not at the WC (although there are many reasons)

Sometimes i wonder if we'd be better off sticking with 15 or 16 players who are prepared to play in very friendly/competive match/tournament possible because although we have a decent team with one or two outstanding individuals i think this WC has shown that those teams that play well as a team are doing the best :)........for all Harry K's brilliance in the game against France and both games against Uruguay he still may have been disruptive as the rest of the midfield looked disorganised and didn't seem to know how to play with him in the team :sigh:

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
If not this World Cup, then maybe the next one when we will have a promising young team ready for action!

Our lack of real competitive games isn't helping either. I think FIFA should take a serious look into disbanding Oceania, which has become a major embarrassment to world football. I mean, sure it's good for the record books that Australia and New Zealand record such huge wins but it's not good for us and not good for anyone in the region.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let's talk about the coverage a bit, **** I hate it how Channel 9 are covering it, no anthems, that is a disgrace, but at least they have civilised people hosting the coverage, and sometimes they can't even spell the locations of the venues correctly when they put up the details of a game they will be showing :devil:

And last week when the Italy-Croatia game was on, during half time (only in Perth this happened I think), they said they would be taking a shortened news break before going back to the soccer. What did they do? They had a whole ****en half hour news bulletin, and they showed the second half of the game on delay by 15 minutes :mad:

What can we say about SBS? Supreme as usual :cool: It's sad to think that is probably the last WC on free to air, I hope Foxtel covers it like SBS has :)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
SBS does sports coverage better than anybody IMHO. Their Premiership highlights plus live game every Saturday night is matched by no free to air channel anywhere on the world.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The fact is, SBS have always been there for us football lovers! That is their soul purpose, Les Murry etc... That is what they do, soccer! But then you have WIN and it is a joke, they just buy all the coverage they can and think they are the No. 1 soccer station now! Bloody Idiots! They don't know what they are doing or talking about, the SBS team are always on the right track and they always know what they are talking about. They are great to listen too! The SBS team are sent from Heaven whilst Channel 9 are from Hell but dressed in white! ;)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
True, though Channel 9 hasn't been that bad. Still, it's no surprise that as far as ratings in the first half of the year go, Channel 10 has surged at the expense of 7 and 9 because they do things a lot better than other commercial channels. So why would 9 end up picking up WC games is questionable.

But still, the reason SBS does sports coverage so well is because they know their stuff back to front. They were the first channel here to have a half an hour sports news program (World Sports) every night, a gospel for us who live for our sports.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
SBS - Soccer Broadcasting Service

or even...

SBS - Sports Broadcasting Service

;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts