Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright lads, I know these threads periodically come up, but it's now 2004 and on paper our depth in playing talent is stronger than ever before.

So basically what would your 22-man World Cup squad be at this very point in time, as well as your first team lineup and formation?

Mine:

Goalkeepers:

Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, ENG)
Zeljko Kalac (Perugia, ITA)
Joey Didulica (FK Austria, AUT)

Defenders:

Craig Moore (Rangers, SCO)
Hayden Foxe (Portsmouth, ENG)
Lucas Neill (Blackburn, ENG)
Patrick Kisnorbo (Hearts, SCO)
Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, ENG)
Danny Tiatto (Manchester City, ENG)
Stan Lazaridis (Birmingham City, ENG)

Midfielders:

Vince Grella (Empoli, ITA)
Marco Bresciano (Parma, ITA)
Brett Emerton (Blackburn, ENG)
Scott Chipperfield (Basel, SUI)
Tim Cahill (Millwall, ENG)
Josip Skoko (Genclerbiligi, TUR)
Paul Okon (Vicenza, ITA)

Forwards:

Harry Kewell (Liverpool, ENG)
Mark Viduka (Leeds United, ENG)
John Aloisi (Osasuna, ESP)
Mile Sterjovski (Lille, FRA)
Paul Agostino (1860 Munich, GER)

Stand-by Emergencies:

Adrian Madaschi (Partick Thistle, SCO)
Carl Valeri (Inter Milan, ITA)
Clayton Zane (Anderlecht, BEL)

Formation (4-1-3-2):

------------Schwarzer--------------

Neill-----Moore---Popovic---Kisnorbo

--------------Grella-----------------

---Emerton----Cahill----Bresciano---

---------Viduka-----Kewell----------

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
This lineup is within the boundaries of Franks mind.

-------------Kalac----------------

--Neill--Moore--Foxe--Lazaridis--

-Emerton-Cahill-Grella-Bresciano-

----------Viduka--Kewell-----------
==========================

This lineup is what i would do ;)

----------------------Kalac------------------
------------Moore-Milicevic-Foxe---------
--Emerton---------Grella---------Tiatto--
-----------------Cahill--Bresciano---------
--------------Viduka-----Kewell-----------

-Firstly Kalac has been good in Serie A and i think Mark is dodgy, Didulica(Should be capped,future No1) and even Petkovic are good enough backup.
-Milicevic as a sweeper, a position he is more than capable of playing.Okon could play there but i think it's time that Paul is well and truly out of the Soccceroo frame.
-Moore is a defo and Foxe is the best we have and is left footed i think.Tarka, Madaschi, McKay and Kisnorbo are future Aussie Defenders, Popo should be replaced.Though i see Shaun Murphy getting a call up before any of the young three i mentioned :rolleyes:
-Tiatto could be swapped with Stan the Man.I dont know, I would rather someone better.Neill could go there aswell, aswell as on the other side for Emmo.
-Grella is the future holder and it's time he stepped up and replaced Okon.
-Cahill could be replaced with Skoko but i think Cahill will be a better player than Josep is.Bresciano is a no brainer.Kewell could also be moved back there and Aloisi could play upfront with Dukes.
-Personally as back ups to Viduka, Aloisi and Kewell.I'd rather see Holman or McDonald than people like Agostino, Thompson and Zane.

It's time for the following players to be totally forgotten when it comes to Socceroos selection.Some can still do the job but it's time for new players to come through.

Agostino
Zane
Thompson
Popovic
Muscat
Vidmar
Corica
Okon
Lazaridis

None going to get any better and if they do it will be for a season.They just lack the class.I want to see Culina resurrect his career and ofcourse Eddy Bosnar would be part of my plans.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Frank has hinted that Didulica and Bosnar could be in for a call up for the Venezuela match.He also said current Olyroos will come in because the full side have alot of matches this year.

And finally, Paul Okon curse has hit again as he hasnt played for Vicenza for over a month and he's been fully fit.Franks said it will be hard for him to get in.Give Grella a go.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EL MATADOR said:
Why do you guys think that Cahill is so good? What has he done to prove his worth?
Further to what KOTK said, he is a player the Socceroos have always a lacked - a goalscoring midfielder who is equally at home in a box-to-box role or behind the front two.

Has scored 47 goals in 197 appearances in the English First Division, is only 23 years old and is arguably the hottest property in England outside the Premiership.

Compare this to the international goalscoring records of the current preferred Socceroo central midfield pairing and we have a player who could add a dimension we've never had before:

Josip Skoko (28yo): 25 caps, 2 goals
Paul Okon (31yo): 28 caps, 0 goals

Cannot wait to see him in the green and gold.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Thats the midfield i would play aswell ina flat 4 midfield.Personally im sick to death of Skoko, he's useless.And i dont know whether Mile Sterjovski has dissapeared off the face of the earth or what.Culina last time i heard was being released by Ajax and was off to Maccabi Heifa i think.

In my lineup i would replace Tiatto with Niell, Tiatto sucks at fullback/wingback and he's not getting any football.

·
©
7,230 Posts
---------------Schwarzer-----------------

---Neill-----Moore---Popovic---Lazaridis--

-----------Skoko------Grella--------------

---------------Bresciano-----------------

------Emerton-------------Kewell-----

------------------Viduka------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts