Pele-Basten
Futre-Vladammar--that Columbian bloke-Maradona-Garrincha

Defeders and the goal keper , later

:)

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
------------------------YASHIN-----------------------

---------MOORE------BARESI-----MALDINI (soon to be)

------------------BECKENBAUER (C)----------------------

---GARRINCHA------DI STEFANO------CRUYFF---

------------------------MARADONA-------------------

-------------RONALDO (once he retires)--PELE-----

Bench: PLATINI
Coach: ZAGALLO

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Maldini03 said:

-------------RONALDO (once he retires)
:howler:

Code:
                        Banks
 McGrath   Baresi   Beckenbauer   Moore

Garrincha          Hagi           Puskas

Cruyff

Pele             Maradona
Banks- Made the greatest saves Pele ever saw.
McGrath- Ireland. Their Maldini of the 90s.
Baresi- Italian central defender. Their rock at the back in the WCs 86-94.
Beckenbaur- Won WC as player then as coach of Germany. His attacks from deep were second to none.
Moore- England's WC winning captain, great tackler.
Garrincha- Played along Pele. Amazing pace, one of Brazil's best ever.
Hagi- Great left foot, great influence. One of the world best at one time. Romanian.
Puskas-Hungary/Spain. Great left foot.
Cruyff- Best midfielder ever. Great all-rounder. Dutch.
Pele- Best player ever? If it hadn't been for the poor discipline in football back then, would have gone on to do much more.
Maradona- Single "handedly" ;) won Argentina the WC in 86. Among the best ever.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
The 84-86 guys + Schmeichel... add a decent coach and we could have won the world cup.... playing football that would have been comparable to the Brazilian and French teams of the same years. But we didn't have the coach... nor the experience at big tournaments. We'll never have so many marvellous players again :(.

----------------Peter Schmeichel
---Ivan Nielsen--Morten Olsen---Søren Busk
----------Jan Mølby----Søren Lerby
Frank Arnesen--Allan Simonsen----Jesper Olsen
-----------------------Michael Laudrup
-------------Preben Elkjær

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Glen said:
The 84-86 guys + Schmeichel... add a decent coach and we could have won the world cup.... playing football that would have been comparable to the Brazilian and French teams of the same years. But we didn't have the coach... nor the experience at big tournaments. We'll never have so many marvellous players again :(.

----------------Peter Schmeichel
---Ivan Nielsen--Morten Olsen---Søren Busk
----------Jan Mølby----Søren Lerby
Frank Arnesen--Allan Simonsen----Jesper Olsen
-----------------------Michael Laudrup
-------------Preben Elkjær
are you drunk Glen ?

i would have thought this is a world team,,,,,,,,

here's mine

----------------------Banks

---------------Baresi-------------Moore
-----------------------Beckenbauer
----------------------Edwards
Best--------Maradona---Gascoigne----Finney
-------------Di Stefano
--------------------------------Pele

subs,......Greaves,Van Basten,Charlton,Cryuff,

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
are you drunk Glen ?

i would have thought this is a world team,,,,,,,,
Drunk? Not at all. I just felt like making a different team than all the usual ones where people get to argue who among 5 players only 1% of us here ever saw play were better. I don't think there was a stated criteria that the team be an International one either?

At the same time a contributing factor was seing some highlights of the Danish team of that age not too long ago, and I just think so many of them haven't been given the attention they deserved. Apart from the two markers (and Schmeichel who wasn't on the team) those 8 players could have been part of any squad in the world at the time. But few will know today.

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Putting Banks over Yashin is just pure and utter nonsense.

Better go and watch some of the stuff the spider has done, because he's got, only that I've seen, at least 3 saves better than Banks' to Pelé's header.

And he was a better overall keeper, and a master at penalties.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Here are the top 11 retired players who I have SEEN PLAYING. No Di Stefano and Pele here... :wth: :lala: :D

GK- Highita :party:
RB- Josimar (Played for Botafogo and for Brazil in WC '86) :cool: :star:
CB- Baresi :strong:
CB- Gonçalves (Played for Botafogo and for Brazil in WC '98) :stuckup: :star:
LB- Branco :cap:
CM- Falcão :star:
CM- Dunga :proud:
CM- Maradona :drunk:
FW- Hristo Stoichkov :nasty:
ST- Marco Van Basten :dazed:
ST- Ivan "Bam Bam" Zamorano :cool:

I probably wouldn't work as a team, but what amazing matches we would see! :eekani:

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Glen: I can come up with something better: BELGIUM '90. I needn't even strengthen it with anochronisms! :D

-----------Preud'homme
Gerets--Grün--VanDerElst--DeWolf
Clijsters---Vercauteren----Vervoort
-----------------Scifo
-----Ceulemans--Degryse

The wonderful team that got beaten by Platt's UNDESERVED winner at the 119'. Had Logic been respected (it's not a matter of luck) and Belgium advanced, we could have been World Champs or something close! That Belgian selection was positively the best ever, arguably more talented than those of 80 and 86, despite observing all the good Belgian values in football -like unity, hardwork, determination and courage. And Guy Thys (RIP) was a hell of a coach. If ever we had a chance, it was Italia 90. The end of a generation surely!

Ciao.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Steph! said:
Glen: I can come up with something better: BELGIUM '90.
I will respond like Romulus...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:)

Insert Lars Høgh in the Danish goal instead of my anachronism and you'd have yourself a whipping ;).

Well.. perhaps you wouldn't ;), but our midfield and attack... sublime. Technically one of the best European offences EVER. To be honest not a single Belgian from midfield forward would get into our team. And I really rated Schifo but Allan Simonsen was better (our only Ballon d'Or winner ever).

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
those (...) players could have been part of any squad in the world at the time. But few will know today.
Exactly. ;) I admit I only know a handful of names among those you mentioned (Schmeichel, Morten Olsen, Lerby, Arnesen, Simonsen, Laudrup, Elkjaer). What about you and mine? What makes you ina position to judge, hm?

Don't underestimate this country, Glen! *fearsome tone* Well now you can, but back then the deal was entirely different. Belgium (both NT and league) was a force to be reckoned with back in the 80's. Some of the finest French and Dutch players (Danish too... like it counts :D) were playing for Belgian clubs.

And as the league was thousands more time competitive than it is today, Belgian clubs actually won Euro cups at the time and there was a huge pool of talents to pick up for the NT. Don't forget that only a month prior to Italia 90, Anderlecht was meeting Sampdoria in the CWC's final in Göteborg -Grun, Vervoort and Degryse off the team I wrote.

Bow down before us Mighty Belgians! :drunk:

Ciao.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Steph dear... :kiss: look at when Anderlecht won the UEFA cup... who marshalled their defence and who scored the winning goal? I saw that match. Why would you think there's a single player in the team you mentioned that I don't know :) ?

I remember the Belgium team from 1984 (with Verkautern :star: , Ceulemans, Jean Marie Pfaff, Scifo, Grun etc.) onwards- where we beat you 3-2 after having inexplicably, and against the run of play, gone 2-0 down early on- with our best player Allan Simonsen out through the broken leg he suffered in the opener against France.

You mentioned the guys you know from our team... I think you remember Jan Mølby from Ajax and Liverpool (in the glory years) also, but Jesper Olsen was also an Ajax product and moved on to play (well) for Manchester United. The markers... well.. I can't blame you for not knowing Søren Busk really... but Ivan Nielsen played with PSV (one of the 4 Danes to help them win the 88 CC) and Feyenoord before that :).

Oh... and I do not want to underestimate Belgium...it was a fine team in 1990, but I think it was better in 1986- where we were different class.

It's just that... since the 80's where Danish football emerged... we're 5-1-1 against you peeps- winning all 3 tournament encounters :tongue: .

I envy you for having much better league football than us though.

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Alright,retired players that I've seen ,extensively, only:

1)Smeichel

2)Baresi
3)Sammer
4)Tony Adams

5)Dunga
6)Deschamps
7)Bakero

8)Rai
9)Roberto Baggio
10)Maradona

11)Marco Unico van Basten

------------------------Smeichel

---------Baresi-------Sammer--------Adams-----

-----------------------Dunga------------------------
---------Bakero------------------Deschamps-----

-----Baggio----------Rai------------Maradona----
--------------------van Basten---------------------

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO
10 - DIEGUITO

¡¡¡CHEERS!!!:drunk:

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
My retired all time argie team (the first in mind):

1. Carrizo
2. Perfumo
3. Marzolini
6. Passarella
4. Bertoni
5. Pipo Rossi
7. Corbatta
11. Sivori
10. Maradona
8. Di Stefano
9. Kempes

The ones I saw, and ENJOY no matter their suposed "succes":

1. Maradona
2. Platini
3. Junior
4. Bochini
5. Marangoni
6. Kempes
7. Romario (if he left football I don't know, sorry)
8. Falcao
9. Valderrama
10. Baggio (same case romario)

In no order (with the exception of Diego),no goalkeeper needed
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
GK - Schmeichel
RB - Josimar
CB - Moore
CB - Baresi
LB - Maldini (not retired just yet but who else)
RM - Best
CAM - Cryuff
LM - Jairzinho
ST - Pele
ST - Van Basten
ST - Maradona

1 - 18 of 18 Posts