Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Venables Set To Be Named Leeds Boss On Monday
News Archive

07/07/2002. It is being reported that former England manager Terry Venables will be named Leeds' new manager on Monday morning.

BBC Five Live believe an announcement will be made to the London Stock Exchange at 1030 BST on Monday.

While Sky Sports claim that according to "sources close to the club" that the ex-Tottenham, Australia and Middlesbrough boss will replace David O'Leary at Elland Road.

Since O'Leary was sacked over a week ago Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, amongst others, has been tipped to take the job, however 59-year-old Venables looks to have won the race.

soccerage ;)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Nice! I didn't expect Oneill, McCarthy or Mclaren to take it, so this is good news to me. I wonder if he'll fight to keep Rio, or just let him go. Either way I wish the best of luck to Tel, and hopefully he will be able to do what Oleary has failed to do on a number of occasions. Also, lets hope he tries both Robbies at the front, there'll be tons of goals from that which Oleary failed to see.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It is being reported that former England manager Terry Venables will be named Leeds' new manager on Monday morning.
Another Rumour, it says reported. Nothing is official! ;)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Elland Rd gets El Tel
Sportal

Former Socceroos and England coach, Terry Venables has been confirmed as the new manager of English Premier League club Leeds United.

The club released a statement to the Stock Exchange confirming that Venables has been signed a two-year deal to take charge of the Elland Road club.

Venables' affinity with Australia could play a big part in helping the club hold onto star Aussie players Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka who have both been touted for big-money moves to Spain and/or Italy.

Venables, 59, takes over from David O'Leary, who was sacked 11 days ago.

The club said in a statement: "Leeds United Plc announces the appointment of Terry Venables to the position of manager with immediate effect.

"He has today signed an initial two-year contract."

It recalled his "almost unrivalled" experience in management, ranging from spells in charge of fellow Premiership club Tottenham Hotspur, Spanish giants Barcelona and the national teams of England and Australia.

Venables' last managerial role was at Middlesbrough, where he took over as coach for just six months from December 2000, steering the Teessiders out of danger of relegation.

The Yorkshire club’s main target was Celtic’s Martin O'Neill, who made it clear that he would see out the remaining year of his contract with the Scottish champions.

- - - - - - - -

I will comment later... :)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Well the way I look at it.. I think Risdale has made a wise move.. Venables is an excellent manager who can read the game ever so well..

Personally, I couldn't believe they were willing to appoint McLaren.. after all.. they could have stayed with O'Leary and he would have been better.. as for McCarthy.. I don't think he's that interested in club football these days..

As for O'Niell.. well what I really feel is that he was Leeds' primary target.. and I think Risdale had the idea that O'Niell was coming so he sacked O'Leary!! Then MON snubbed him to stay with Celtic.. Of course he is the best choice from all of the above mentioned.. but it would take A LOT to seperate him from Celtic.. :)

Congrats on El Tel.. Hope he keeps Rio.. him moving to Man U is the last thing we need :) both of us :)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Apparently Ridsdale has said that he won't force Tel to sell Rio, which is a godsend. Which means we will have to probably sell other players, but Tel supposedly has plans on who to buy, so we'll see what happens.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark Viduka Hails The Arrival Of Terry Venables At Leeds
News Archive

Viduka has played under Venables before (Allsport)
07/08/2002. Leeds striker Mark Viduka has hailed new boss Terry Venables, saying that there is `no better man` for the job.

Venables was officially named as David O'Leary's replacement today, and Viduka, who played under him for Australia, knows him better than most of his team mates.

He told the BBC, "There's no better man to take over from O'Leary than Venables. He's a proven coach and one of the best England has. First of all I'm surprised that O'Leary left. I didn't expect it and it was a big surprise to me. But I think Venables is a good decision. I don't think there's a better coach than him. Everybody who came away from that Australian team said he was an unbelievable coach, so hopefully he will be the same here."

soccerage ;)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Venables will do a great job as manager, and it would be great for Kewell and Viduka to link up with him again. Also, with the saga of releasing Kewell and Viduka for Australia's friendlies or tournaments, then Venables might be happy to release them.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ferdinand: Leeds Have An Exciting Future Under Venables
News Archive

The future looks bright for Ferdinand - if he stays at Leeds (Allsport)
07/10/2002. Rio Ferdinand has spoken for the first time about the appointment of Terry Venables as Leeds United boss.

The defender was said to have been pleased with Venables' arrival, according to his agent, however he has now told The Sun directly how he feels ?and it's good news for his club.

He said, "It's great news for the club. I'm looking forward to meeting Mr Venables and hearing his plans. His record speaks for itself. He has a proven track record and although I was sorry to see David O'Leary go, if you have to get a replacement then Terry Venables is the man. With Mr Venables in charge, I'm sure Leeds can look forward to an exciting future."

Ferdinand has been linked with a mega-bucks move to Manchester United, although Leeds remain hopeful of keeping him.

soccerage ;)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
This could be good and bad for both parties (Leeds and Oz) ...

When Venners was in charge at Portsmouth and then Palace he brought a trail of Aussies good and bad with him and ended up ruining the progress of at least one - Nick Rizzo who was a very promising winger at Liverpool who couldnt cope with the rigours of first div footie.

One thing is for certain, El Tel will immediately put the feelers out for Brett Emerton ...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
You can say that again. I think Emerton will be one of the players at the top of his list. Almost every club he has been to he has brought some form of sucess, wether it be silverware or keeping the club out of relegation.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
So far we've only heard of players leaving leeds, but I'm sure Tel has plans for bringing players in. Emerton would be top, especially in replacing Bowyer(I think thats where Emerton plays anyway).

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
No disrespect to Bowyer, but Emerton sh!ts all over him :)

He can play at right-mid, right-fullback, and as a central midfielder when required. He is big, strong and fast ...

I remember seeing Feyenoord play Bayern in the Champions League a little while back and Emo did this fake, stepover and flick that left Bixente Lizarazu grasping at air ...

Ironically, he also made Dominic Matteo look like a schoolboy when we defeated Scotland 2-0 at Hampden in late 2000.

If we didn't already have Dyer, Jenas, Hughes and Solano I know who I'd be wanting in the black and white stripes ...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Emerton is a top-class player but there are others better. I would still like to see him in the Leeds strip, he would be a big step in our quest for the silverware...

·
Registered
432 Posts
emerton will increase soccer australia's oppertunity for a auto matic path to germany 2006

his talent shown with Feijenoord will show the rest of the world that aussies have talent and will use it
:cool:

There is the correct spelling.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
How old will Viduka, Kewell Emerton etc be by 2006? Do you feel they can make it, or fail at the last hurdle like this year? I for one was surprised that Oz did not make it, but I guess they are still lacking more players in europe. If Austrailia can bring more players to europe in the next couple years I think they will have a better chance.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Roger will love it, I guess! :)

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
Hi Mxpx
I had the pleasure of seeing Venables's Barça team week in week out. He arrived just when the Hand of God went to Naples and brought the league title for the first time in 10 years. The games were great. Barça played a really fast passing game which was a joy to watch.
Later on, though, he made some disastrous moves on the transfer market (Mark Hughes instead of Hugo Sanchez) and let the youth team go to pot.
Yeah, I'm pleased but wary and it couldn't get any worse than the last few years, anyway (no trophies since 1992!).

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Chris said:
How old will Viduka, Kewell Emerton etc be by 2006? Do you feel they can make it, or fail at the last hurdle like this year? I for one was surprised that Oz did not make it, but I guess they are still lacking more players in europe. If Austrailia can bring more players to europe in the next couple years I think they will have a better chance.
Viduka will only be 28 or 29 ... Kewell will only be 26 or 27 ... Emerton same as Kewell.

Chris we were good enough to make the World Cup and do well, but as with 93 and 97 we had 1 bad game and it was over.

People talk about lack of preparation, etc but when it comes down to it as soon as we went a goal down in front of all those screaming fans in Montevideo it was always going to be tough.

Put it this way, Brazil couldn't win in Montevideo in the WCQ'ers so how were we expected to?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts