Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Scudetto
23,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unlike most of you who witnessed the domination of the Sacchi and van Basten era and even before, I only started seriously watching football around 2001, when I entered highschool.

This was mainly because Malaysia's coverage of football at that time really was not great and also largely due to the fact I grew up in the states watching the Chicago Bulls and the Dallas Cowboys :D

So with our recent slump over the years, I start to remember again the great times I have watched and followed Milan, and this is my team of the decade:

Dida

Cafu-Nesta-Maldini-Serginho

Gattuso-Pirlo-Seedorf

Kaká

Shevchenko-Inzaghi

Nelson Dida

Well, prior to that incident in the derby, he was in my biased eyes the best goalkeeper on earth. He did not make any silly mistakes and time and again made some miracle saves.

Random favorite memorable moment: Miracle save vs Van der Vaart - Amazing save, probably his best ever.

Marcos Cafu

Greatest right-back I have seen in football. Always with a smile on his face and Sir Alex summed it up pretty perfectly when he said Cafu plays with two hearts beating in his chest. The guy never stopped running up and down!

Random favorite memorable moment: Cafu laughing - Not exactly something memorable, but I couldn't find the specific moment I wanted to, which was when he was marking Cristiano Ronaldo and Ronaldo dived fell down and Cafu was all smiles trying to help him up but Ronaldo kept sulking.. Brilliant!

Alessandro Nesta

I've said Cafu is the greatest right-back I've ever seen, and Nesta is simply the greatest defender ever, perhaps.. Regardless of generation. Silky smooth. I remember the night he was signed, right at the buzzer as they say. It was an amazing capture and at that time even I was not sure how big a buy he was going to be. Just the best.

Random favorite memorable moment: Bicycle-kick clearance vs Deportivo - Go straight to the 4:18 mark and there, that one. How about that? That's just not human. People talk about fancy playmakers, how about fancy center-backs? :shades:

Paolo Maldini

Now when you speak of class, you will speak of Maldini. Unfortunately for me, his absolute best years were past him by the time I started following Milan. But just simply for how smooth he was on the pitch and his general leadership, he is an automatic choice for my team.

Random favorite memorable moment: I cannot find a video of this. But it was the first game of our Scudetto season vs Ancona. It was 0-0 and we were (as usual) struggling to break through a 10-man defense. Then came Maldini's sending off. He was arguing with this junior Ancona player and that player was on the verge of crying. He was also sent off :howler: Does anyone remember this?

Serginho

Largely struggled initially with Carlo's system. He basically played every position on the pitch, from left-back, to left-midfielder, to left-attacking midfielder to left-forward. His speed was just amazing. We had a period we played with both him and Cafu on the flanks, and those times were my favorite ever. Beautiful football.

Random favorite memorable moment: 3-touch counter-attack - How fast was that counter?

Gennaro Gattuso

Anyone remember just how great he was in his day? One-man defensive midfield machine. In my opinion the largest factor to contribute to the success of Carlo's Milan era. He was the definition of the type of player the fans love, and opposition hate. Received a lot of stick for his inability to pass the ball properly. But why would he need to when he has Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa, Rivaldo and Kaka as teammates?

Random favorite memorable moment: Ringhio dominates Man Utd - I was torn between this and when he went up against Poulsen at Schalke. But this match was what led to #7 so I gave it the nod. Ironically this game was towards his decline, but just shows how big a warrior he can be when he's up for it.

Andrea Pirlo

One of my favorite players of all time. I have a friend who can spray long balls like he can and damn, what a joy it is to play striker with him. Imagine how a Milan teammate can appreciate Pirlo's game? The fact we got him from Inter makes him being a Milanista even more sweeter. I cannot appropriately speak more words about him. All I can say is that he is forever on my "good" list (like Seedorf is to Dae :D). I realize he may some time have horrendous games.. But my eyes never see it :stuckup:

Random favorite memorable moment: Pirlo Panenka - He used to do this a lot, didn't he? In this one straight after scoring he got told off by Maldini. Another instance, he got told off by the opposition goalkeeper :D

Clarence Seedorf

I don't think Milan has had a bigger clutch player than Seedorf all this years. He is the true personification of "big-game player". Scores all the big goals, and almost never disappoints. I must admit he is always the victim of my frustrations whenever he plays below standard, but that is only because he himself has set such a high bar for himself that I tend to expect always :hopeful:

Random favorite memorable moment: Seedorf completes Derby comeback - Watching this again has really made me remember the real good times of the past. I watched this game with my Inter friend, just the two of us. And he went absolutely crazy when Inter went 2-0 up.. Of course Seedorf ruined his party!

Ricardo Kaká

:depress:

I think most of you already know how frustrated and sad I get when I remember that Kaka does not play for us anymore. But that is not the point here. Kaka at his best was what I would call poetry in motion. He had everything. His gameplay is well documented, but what about how much he loved Milan and how he always turned up a gear when needed most? Amazing player, my favorite Milan player ahead of Sheva, Pirlo and Nesta.

Random favorite memorable moment: Kaka vs Shakhtar - Of course there are so many highlights of Kaka that we remember. So I will choose one that many might not remember. Just watch the clip, and remind yourself how great Kaka actually was for us. Some of his moves here were out of this world. I hope most of you remember this game.

Andriy Shevchenko

Ahh.. Sheva. Another case of a player that really hurt the most of us. Key to our Scudetto for sure, 24 goals that marked his return to greatness after a period of really bad form. Complete striker he is. What can he NOT do? He scores with his head, his left foot, right foot, he leads as captain, scores the most vital goals.. Can play inside, outside.. Damn you Sheva, why'd you leave? :(

Random favorite memorable moment: Sheva is officially back - This goal marked his return after a bad period for him, setting him on his way to the Ballon d'Or the next season. Remember that in this game Inzaghi was in red-hot form but Carlo made the strange decision to start Sheva. What a brilliant move :thumbsup: Also special mention to Rui's pass. Best ever I've seen of Milan, probably second to this, however ;) But nobody wants to remember that one!

Filippo Inzaghi

When I think of Pippo, the first thing to come to mind would be his crazy passionate celebrations. He's getting old now, and has not scored as often so I really miss this :( Another great quote by Sir Alex, "Inzaghi was born offside" :howlder: His great period during 02-03 on our quest to the Champions League is still clear on my mind. His record at the time was out of this world. I will forever have a spot in my heart for Inzaghi!

Random favorite memorable moment: Istanbul? What's that? - The goal that sealed and buried the ghosts of Istanbul, possibily the worst experience in my young life. After writing about Seedorf, Kaka and Sheva and now Pippo, it also just makes me realize how many clutch goalscorers we really have! Dang!

Now that was a long write :D Hope you guys can share some favorite moments post-2000 as well.

I understand also that this was probably too long to read.. So at least just watch the videos!

·
Scudetto
23,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pretty crap I cannot delete it though :mad: Just give me a few minutes, its a long and hopefully nice memory-lane post :hopeful:

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Very easy:

Dida
Cafu-Nesta-Maldini-Serghinho
Gatuso-Pirlo-Seedorf
Kaka
Shevchenko-Inzaghi

·
Scudetto
23,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, done! Our squad is the same dude! haha :D

Maybe next I will write the special mentions for the likes of Ambro, Stam, Tomasson, Crespo etc.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I don't think there is any debate really. That Best XI will probably be the same for most fans. The second team will probably stir up more debate:

Abbiati
Oddo - Stam - Costacurta - Kaladze
Brocchi - Ambrosini - Jankulovski
Rui Costa
Pato - Ronaldinho​

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Serginho was great the one season he played the whole year at left back (05/06 I think).

But so was good old Pancaro;) in our scudetto season. Very solid and provided lots of assists.

Thinking back we really have missed a quality left back for the entire decade.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
I object! were is cuff cuff :lala:

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Where's the next Paolo Rossi, better than Bobo and Pippo combined, always score the match winning goals and deliver in the big stages, the one and only one...

Alberto Chokerdino???

He should be in the first team!!!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Where's the next Paolo Rossi, better than Bobo and Pippo combined, always score the match winning goals and deliver in the big stages, the one and only one...

Alberto Chokerdino???

He should be in the first team!!!
His miss yesterday vs Juve, one on one with the GK from 7m, was typical Milan Gila.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Dida

Cafu - Nesta - Costacurta/Stam - Maldini

Gattuso - Pirlo - Seedorf

Kaká

Shevchenko - Inzaghi​

·
Scudetto
23,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rui Costa was never anything significant for Milan, at least not compared to Rino.

Rino was a monster!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Rui Costa was never anything significant for Milan, at least not compared to Rino.

Rino was a monster!

Agreed. WE really need to be careful with this habit of throwing out a player's body of work simply because he is not good anymore.

Rui Costa played in some key moments but he did not do enough to be considered in any top XI teams. Maybe if we did a list of the eleven most skilled players then he gets a position, but not otherwise.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Agreed. WE really need to be careful with this habit of throwing out a player's body of work simply because he is not good anymore.

Rui Costa played in some key moments but he did not do enough to be considered in any top XI teams. Maybe if we did a list of the eleven most skilled players then he gets a position, but not otherwise.
Pardon me. But I remember him being an instrumental player in the year you beat Juve in the final. I'd say that is pretty significant.

Gattuso for me was never a world class DM. Passionate and likeable by Milanistas, yes. But not great.

·
Scudetto
23,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude, without him how can a team function with FOUR playmakers?

Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa and Rivaldo.

He was the key to everything.

Rui Costa was not "instrumental". Of course he was important, but that CL was mainly down to our defense and... Inzaghi :proud:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts