Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was giving it some thought and wonder if there will ever emerge another player with the same impact as Maradona. The English sure invented the sport but Diego surely perfected it. Seeing him dribble the ball past defenders often made me pinch myself in disbelief. It looked as if he had the ball attached to his foot! And his goals... half of them pretty enough to have them framed.

My all time favorites are:

3) The free kick that somehow found the 'angulo'.

It was Diego captaining Argentinos against Boca wearing his (now) legendary 10. On a free kick that almost looked like a corner kick Maradona gave it all the finesse it needed to watch it sail over the keeper and settle right on the top corner. Those who remember this goal surely agree that even at 16 he had the footballing world at his mercy.

2) How the hell did he sneak by the offside trap?

This time he was playing for Napoli against the always tough Milan. the entire Milanista defensive line perfectly orchestrates and offside trap on Napoli, or so they thought! Maradona sneaks by the tall defenders and catches a perfect lob from the left wing which he later heads it over the on rushing goal keeper 20 yards out! Watching the ball slowly make its way to the back of the net was surely more than a Kodak moment.

1) De Qué Planeta Venis!

Not so much for its pure beauty but because of what it meant to the entire Argentine nation. After years of suffering under the rough military rule which saw the entire counrty live in fear for so many years. After seeing the military ruling government sinking to new lows by sending our young troops to war just so the country's attention would ve diverted, el Diego gave us this beauty to feast on. It was a ray of hope, it was our moment of happiness. Because it was against the 'devil himself' - England.

--------------------

Honarable mention.

His worse ever miss.

A penalty kick against Central (when playing again for Boca). His shot was not only blocked by the keeper, but the rebound which was even easier to make - he kicked it out. The look on his face tells it all! and because he was wearing the Boca colors made me piss my pants in laughter.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
ampersand said:
his goals against england, especially the first one, which to me is the better one of those two gems.

:tongue: :tongue:
Agreed, the second goal against England was amazing, but to me then the first goal Diego added aginst against England was his greatest ever :cool: :cool: Dale 10 :finger:

·
Registered
86 Posts
His second goal against England; that was the first world cup match I ever watched - was 10 back then - and I've been an Argentina fan ever since.
Also special are his two goals against Belgium, and the one against Greece in '94; the latter's perhaps the finest example of a team-crafted goal ever.

BTW, this is out of topic but for those who might remember me, I used to go by the nick - man_an... :)

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I love all of his goals, rarely scored any easy or low-class goals.

I remember a goal for him with Barca when he drifted from the right wing to the center just meters away from penalty box, he looked to the keeper and found hima couple of meters away from goal and chipped it to the back of the net with so much elegant and confidence telling people that you are ucky enough to witness the greatest footballer ever.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What about the one where goalie takes a goal kick, Maradona traps it one touch in midfield and he fires one from there over the goalie into the goal.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
What about the one where goalie takes a goal kick, Maradona traps it one touch in midfield and he fires one from there over the goalie into the goal.
..and in the angle....one I love is not that talked about:he stopped something trying to be a pass from two metres that went directly like a cannon ball to his chest, I do not how, he killed the ball, turned (he was with the net at his back) in the same move and in the middle of two thousand legs he manages to score...incredible, also in the same quality of this two mentioned is one he made I think in Barca starting dribbling dudes like an old wing, between him and the last line, and when he passed it to other player this one screwed the pass...the ball in rebound instantly fell in his feet and with no angle he put it beside the post, all the three in miliseconds.
The capacity of reaction of being seconds ahead anyone and having the superb technic to achive this moves is what makes him awesome....

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
My favourite goals by Maradona is the one against River where he makes Fillol looks like joke when he dribbles around him and puts in goal. I also enjoyed the goal he scored against Real Madrid when he dribbles pass alot of players while starting at the center of the pitch and scores from short angle.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
1)The second goal against england
2)The first goal against england
3)The goal for FC Barcelona when he dribbled past half the opposing team and chiped the goalkeeper from 17-18 meters
4)That goal for Napoli when he beat the offside trap and chiped the goalkeeper

And btw Loco,the english didn't invent football,the Chinese did,the english were the ones who profesionlised it and spread it.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Diego didnt score 1000 goals like Pele (still, he was not a striker like Pele), but the quality of his goals is from out of this planet. Diego is about quality, not quantity.
Its impossible to pick just 5, so i would make an honorary list:

1) Second goal against England in WC 86.

2)
My favourite goals by Maradona is the one against River where he makes Fillol looks like joke when he dribbles around him and puts in goal.
That goal against River was amazing. This is for the brazie guy who once told me Diego was not an exquisite finisher, like Romario.

3) Diego's volley from 30 metres that touched the post before entering, for
Napoli against a white jersey team.

4) A lob made by Diego with the GK 2 metres away from him, with the characteristic class of Diego (playing for Napoli).

5) Goal against Belguim in WC 86.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
batigold said:
Diego didnt score 1000 goals like Pele (still, he was not a striker like Pele), but the quality of his goals is from out of this planet. Diego is about quality, not quantity.
Pele didn't score more than 50 :pp :pp

·
Registered
893 Posts
Rimmer said:
Pele didn't score more than 50 :pp :pp
o dear. It's obvious that some of you just can't get over your immature obsessions, can you? You can't even allow a thread in praise of Maradona to be a zone free of the same old arguments. Why am I not surprised?

Anyway, favourite goal - the sudden dribble and pallenetto over the goalkeeper for Barca against RS Belgrade in Belgrade, when Maradona and Schuster ran the show.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Roy Race said:
o dear. It's obvious that some of you just can't get over your immature obsessions, can you? You can't even allow a thread in praise of Maradona to be a zone free of the same old arguments. Why am I not surprised?

Anyway, favourite goal - the sudden dribble and pallenetto over the goalkeeper for Barca against RS Belgrade in Belgrade, when Maradona and Schuster ran the show.
Do you know where this goal can be downloaded from?

·
Registered
219 Posts
How about a goal for Napoli against Brescia, when he took a pass on his chest with his back to the goal, just outside the curved line of the area, turned toward the goal past the defender, dribbled straight into the area towards the crowd of defenders, beat the last one by moving the ball left, and shot into the far low corner of the net.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
How about a goal for Napoli against Brescia, when he took a pass on his chest with his back to the goal, just outside the curved line of the area, turned toward the goal past the defender, dribbled straight into the area towards the crowd of defenders, beat the last one by moving the ball left, and shot into the far low corner of the net.
That's one of the ones I was mentioning is a perfect resume of Diego, cause the "pass" was a missile, and the way that killed that ball...the speed he done that move, the elegance..well out of this world..

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Ferenc Puskas said:
I cant remember that goal. I will reserch in my video library of Maradona.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Batigold, didn't you meet Maradona? Or was that Czar?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Humbird said:
Batigold, didn't you meet Maradona? Or was that Czar?
Hum, that was Czar. I met zanetti and batistuta. Also moreno torriceli, angelo di livio, rui costa when they were in fiorentina, and robbie baggio, ivan cordoba, toldo, fresi and a few more, in inter's hotel (before a match against verona, i think). But i just have photos of some of them.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I remember you posted some of the photos! You were the best looking one! :sweeteye:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts