Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not neccesarly the best, but the most influential. Which player gives your side the most in terms of leadership and overall ability, not being able to make do without this respective player?

For Juventus, I think our most influential player is Emerson. Our Brazilian has really given our midfield more bite, control, and leadership, qualities we have been missing for the past couple years. Without Emo in the side our midfield would be in shambles and the defense would have to deal with more wholes right through the middle of the pitch. His performances are usually quiet and clandestine, however without him we would suffer.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Matthew Upson, dude holds the back four together and our defensive record is crucial to how good a team we are. Rumours are circling about him going to Liverpool in the summer and we can't afford to let that happen.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought Upson was not having that great of a season, at least compared to last term?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
considering the reserve we have for when he is out then it's Sol Campbell although Senderos has changed that slightly.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Andy said:
I thought Upson was not having that great of a season, at least compared to last term?
Upson's been great. He's always been prone to the occasional mistake but we can't afford Carvalho.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob Edwards said:
Upson's been great. He's always been prone to the occasional mistake but we can't afford Carvalho.
Obviously, I just was thinking Upson had a better season last year.

Nonetheless, he's a very good player.

·
63,337 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Matthew Upson, dude holds the back four together and our defensive record is crucial to how good a team we are. Rumours are circling about him going to Liverpool in the summer and we can't afford to let that happen.
rumours are also circling that he will come back to the Arsenal.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Mutu20 despises the guy, and from what i've seen I can't blame him. The last time I saw Upson play he made 2 clumsy fouls which both resulted in penalties.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Oh and I suppose as a Liverpool fan my obligatory contribution to this thread should be to eulogise about Steven Gerrard and use sayings about him that are by now almost cliches, like "he's the driving force of Liverpool" and "without Steven Gerrard Liverpool are nothing."

Actually I'm going to dare to say that given time Alonso will be the captain. I feel he has more influence on Liverpool than Gerrard.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Andy said:
Obviously, I just was thinking Upson had a better season last year.

Nonetheless, he's a very good player.
He's been about the same level. People haven't mentioned him as much as an England hope which I think has given the misconception that he's fallen off rather than the true reason which is just that Terry, Sol, Rio and King are all amazing players.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
rumours are also circling that he will come back to the Arsenal.
He's good but he's not better than Sendo. Don't see why you need him. If we can get Pennant and some money out of it I guess it'd have to be considered if he wants to go though.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Shaggy Alonso said:
Mutu20 despises the guy, and from what i've seen I can't blame him. The last time I saw Upson play he made 2 clumsy fouls which both resulted in penalties.
I don't tend to judge players on one game.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Shaggy Alonso said:
Oh and I suppose as a Liverpool fan my obligatory contribution to this thread should be to eulogise about Steven Gerrard and use sayings about him that are by now almost cliches, like "he's the driving force of Liverpool" and "without Steven Gerrard Liverpool are nothing."

Actually I'm going to dare to say that given time Alonso will be the captain. I feel he has more influence on Liverpool than Gerrard.

I think the most influential player this season is close between Gerrard and Carra. I'd give it to Carra though. What amazing will the man has.

·
63,337 Posts
Carragher is certainly blooming as a CB, as a full back he was useless IMO, as a CB he is much better.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
I don't tend to judge players on one game.
Did I declare that he was a bad player because of one game? No, that's all i've really got to go on because I haven't paid any attention to him till now.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Richard Dunne is our most influential. He is the rock at the back, and the most inspirational of the team. Fowler and SWP may be scintillating going forward, but Dunne is a colossus who inspires the team with heroic performances.

After Dunne I'd say SWP, as hes our best attacking outlet, and then Paul Bosvelt, as he protects the back four and gets the ball going from midfield. He is underrated, but hugely influential in midfield.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts