Wipe his nose, Wipe your nose,
Wipe his nose, Wipe your nose, yeah yeah

·
Registered
43,222 Posts
Like many others, I thought it was about popular music approximating to the lowest common denominator by simplifying things.

But it dawned on me that this is a reflection of the opioid crisis in the US. Rappers used to boast about weed and blow, i.e. things that can still allow them to function. Now they boast about doing Xanax. There's even a rapper called Lil Xan, ffs. There's a guy that comes in halfway in the chorus of the video Andy posted...he sounds like he can't open his eyes or even stand up. The musical ouptut that you'd expect in that kind of state is exactly the stuff we're seeing.

It's a cry for help but you have all these people who bought into it as being futuristic music. Like Lonzo Ball, who essentially said Nas is irrelevant and that Future (another guy who raps about Xanax while on a ton of autotune)...is the present and future.

I'm calling this before some journalist gets major props for pointing this out when the genre starts dying out.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
I've thought about the evolution of music too. Like most great things, music was first made for the liking of rich and refined people, reaching its apogee around the Classical era I'd say. When virtually all types of music became available to the public around the 20th century, it arguably declined a bit but was still really good. Finally, because the masses dictated the course of music, it started dumbing down more and more, generation after generation, until we got Gucci Gang and co.

The movie industry does the same thing to have a greater appeal. After all, most people aren't very smart and they need something that doesn't put any sort of strain on their brains. I can hardly find blockbusters not based on books or IRL events to have any value.

·
Registered
29,284 Posts
I've thought about the evolution of music too. Like most great things, music was first made for the liking of rich and refined people, reaching its apogee around the Classical era I'd say. When virtually all types of music became available to the public around the 20th century, it arguably declined a bit but was still really good. Finally, because the masses dictated the course of music, it started dumbing down more and more, generation after generation, until we got Gucci Gang and co.

The movie industry does the same thing to have a greater appeal. After all, most people aren't very smart and they need something that doesn't put any sort of strain on their brains. I can hardly find blockbusters not based on books or IRL events to have any value.
Film (which isn't even shot/projected on actual film anymore) is going through one of those changes in a medium, like painting after the invention and early development of photography. Why would anyone go to a movie theater when the 'projection' is digital anyway, when they have live images on other devices 24-7, when they can interact with others (AI and real people) in SoMe and video games? We millenials are the last ones to even have super nostalgia for that childhood cinema experience (we are essentially searching in vain for that original heroin rush), and the last to have the vague memory of cinema as central to popular and intellectual culture.

·
Registered
43,222 Posts

You get 10 extra likes for using the word "apogee".

I think there are other reasons for it as well. Technological advances mean we now can be flooded with music and media which causes many of us to have a tech-imposed ADHD of sorts. What sells more is what catches people not just on the first listen (the simpler, the better for this purpose) but within, say, 30 seconds of the song. What's happening in the video also matters, obviously. Just as news corporations have shifted to clickbait and passing off copy-pasting tweets as articles, the music industry is in the same mode. So more than ever, the simplest stuff that sticks in your head will be the main tactic.

Might be wrong but it seems to be that more and more of the newer rap artists start off right away with the hook/chorus as distinct from the traditional approach of having a verse come first. We can't have people switch off before the hook, amirite?

·
Registered
29,284 Posts
You get 10 extra likes for using the word "apogee".

I think there are other reasons for it as well. Technological advances mean we now can be flooded with music and media which causes many of us to have a tech-imposed ADHD of sorts. What sells more is what catches people not just on the first listen (the simpler, the better for this purpose) but within, say, 30 seconds of the song. What's happening in the video also matters, obviously. Just as news corporations have shifted to clickbait and passing off copy-pasting tweets as articles, the music industry is in the same mode. So more than ever, the simplest stuff that sticks in your head will be the main tactic.

Might be wrong but it seems to be that more and more of the newer rap artists start off right away with the hook/chorus as distinct from the traditional approach of having a verse come first. We can't have people switch off before the hook, amirite?
It's a good point, although you can say radio, which reigned supreme at least until people got decent record players in the 1950s-60s, favoured brevity and simplicity in the extreme and some fairly amazing stuff came from that, like the Carter Family. I realise people didn't have millions of different channels, though, of course.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,683 Posts
Speaking of modern rap, I'll briefly hijack the thread with a question.

A while ago I watched a music video of some sort of undergroundish rapper (might be mainstream now for all I know), the video was amateur footage of him being masked (might have been a gas mask) and walking through some supposedly abandoned building. At one point he stumbles into a woman who makes some startled scream, the woman's scream was kept in the song. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I thought I'd bookmarked it because I wanted to give it some further listening, but I can't seem to find the bookmark or the song now. :(

·
Registered
43,222 Posts
It's a good point, although you can say radio, which reigned supreme at least until people got decent record players in the 1950s-60s, favoured brevity and simplicity in the extreme and some fairly amazing stuff came from that, like the Carter Family. I realise people didn't have millions of different channels, though, of course.
I don't think I'd heard of the Carter Family before this. Is that really bad? :nervoussmile:

Just looked them up..."Can the Circle Be Unbroken" is really nice.

·
Registered
43,222 Posts
Speaking of modern rap, I'll briefly hijack the thread with a question.

A while ago I watched a music video of some sort of undergroundish rapper (might be mainstream now for all I know), the video was amateur footage of him being masked (might have been a gas mask) and walking through some supposedly abandoned building. At one point he stumbles into a woman who makes some startled scream, the woman's scream was kept in the song. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I thought I'd bookmarked it because I wanted to give it some further listening, but I can't seem to find the bookmark or the song now. :(
No idea...but now I really want to know what song that is as well. :redangry:

That's a cool idea...using an event midway through as a sample for the rest of the song.

·
Registered
29,284 Posts
I don't think I'd heard of the Carter Family before this. Is that really bad? :nervoussmile:

Just looked them up..."Can the Circle Be Unbroken" is really nice.

Nah, they're just one of those very early landmarks, like Robert Johnson in blues, among the subjects dealt with, indirectly, in O brother where art thou.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,683 Posts

That's a cool idea...using an event midway through as a sample for the rest of the song.
I'll let you know if I ever manage to find it.

I'm pretty sure I know from where I got the recommendation, now I'll just have to find the video in which the recommendation is included. I didn't find it during my inital quick scan.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Film (which isn't even shot/projected on actual film anymore) is going through one of those changes in a medium, like painting after the invention and early development of photography. Why would anyone go to a movie theater when the 'projection' is digital anyway, when they have live images on other devices 24-7, when they can interact with others (AI and real people) in SoMe and video games? We millenials are the last ones to even have super nostalgia for that childhood cinema experience (we are essentially searching in vain for that original heroin rush), and the last to have the vague memory of cinema as central to popular and intellectual culture.
Haven't thought about that. Although Romania is behind in almost every respect so allot of Western trends catch up here a bit later :embarassed:

·
Registered
29,284 Posts
They had Tv shows and video games in the 1980s, of course, and my nieces and nephews still in 2019 watch, well, Star Wars and Marvel (and play musical instruments sometimes), but there's a change.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,683 Posts

I managed to find it.

I misremembered a few things. It was not a scream, it was more of a confused "hello". Only the intro was the guy in the abandoned building. And the term "modern rap" wasn't quite accurate either since the song is from 2011.

·
Registered
43,222 Posts
I managed to find it.

I misremembered a few things. It was not a scream, it was more of a confused "hello". Only the intro was the guy in the abandoned building. And the term "modern rap" wasn't quite accurate either since the song is from 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htl3XWUhUOM
There is a scream he uses though.

But I don't think it quite lived up to the billing. I feel like you hyped this up way too much. :redangry:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts