Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
He's been injured at points during this season (like everyone else at Milan) ;)...

The service he get's from midfield is poor unless Pirlo plays (which is almost never) ;)...

He's had to play along side some underperforming reserve strikers while Pippo was out...

Hmmm... has Sheva played badly this season?

I don't think so. I think our expectations of Sheva are too high given his performances over the last few seasons since his arrival in Seria A. Every striker goes through a slow patch.

As well I think we have to mention that under Ancelotti, Milan play a much more defensive, conservative style of football that doesn't allow Sheva to exploit his talents.

If the stars align next season with Ancelotti leaving, injury situation improving, etc. Sheva should be back to his old 20+ goal self.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
First and foremost, Sheva is a human being with emotions and limits. He is no robot and needs a break. He also seems to be quite frustrated with the service he's got so far and i agree on that with Rosso. The only one able to provide him with good service has been Pirlo...when he plays. Rui Costa, who was originally brought towards that goal, has had a series of various factors which prevented him from doing his job. These factors being repetitive injuries, blatant lack of form and inaptitude to handle the pressure of a big club.

I hope that this off season, he will take care of himself and get back in shape for next season as he is truly vital for us. A truly fit, hungry and motivate Sheva, is what we need to be competitive regardless of what level will Rui Costa be playing at next season, if he's still with us.

Also agree on the tactical side mentionned by Rosso. Milan have a team made to attack and Ancelotti wants to make them play against their nature. Thus, no surprises that the team struggles.
A new coach, a more offensive minded approach tactically, a more played Pirlo and then, a couple of great additions in defence and we can be back to the very top, as offensively, we have one of the best attack of all of Europe.

FORZA SHEVA!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Shevchenko is our best player, there's never any question of that.

I've saying for quite some while now however that Shev is playing too deep to be a genuine regular goal scorer and should just play in and around the penalty box if he is heavily marked.

This is a minor tactical issue but it's an important one because Shevchenko is depriving Rui of any space to run into when he plays deep because he's taking at least one or two defenders with him into the centre. Note how Fiorentina played when they whipped our butt last year: Chiesa was the creative presence AROUND the penalty box, Nuno was the pure finisher and Rui ran the midfield show.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Shevchenko celebrates award Sunday 21 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andriy Shevchenko has been named Eastern Europe’s top player by Romanian magazine Focus Vest.

The Ukrainian beat competition from Emmanuel Olisadebe of Panathinaikos and Milan teammate Cosmin Contra in the award voted for by European journalists.

“I am very honoured to receive the Focus Vest award,” said Shev at the Milanello training ground. “It is a recognition that gives me many emotions.”

It is, however, scant consolation for the hitman who will be forced to watch the 2002 World Cup from home.

“It is also nice to get one back on Olisadebe, as his Poland side eliminated the Ukraine from the qualifying spot for Japan and Korea."

"Of course,” added the ex-Dynamo Kiev star, “it would have been better to actually go to the tournament.”

channel4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts