Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taken from a recent interview with Patrick Vieira by Matt Dickinson...;)

“I had an offer through Arsenal to go to Madrid and when they come in, you have to think about it, look what is going on,” Vieira said. “But I am really proud of the decision I made because it wasn’t for money. Maybe in football, people are not used to players saying, ‘I’m happy, I don’t need to go for more money’.

“Every year people said I was going somewhere else, but why should I? It is like anyone even if they are working in a normal office. Another company can come in and offer a better contract and he has the responsibility to go or stay. The decision might be made for their family and not for themselves. It might be made because you like to work with some people.”

It is the same, he says, with Thierry Henry, even though the Arsenal striker could name his price to move to Chelsea. Roman Abramovich covets the forward more than any player on the planet and, according to the Russian’s advisers, the billionaire owner would happily part with at least £80 million of his fortune to lure Henry to Stamford Bridge.

“Abramovich might want to buy Thierry, but are Arsenal going to let him go? Does Thierry want to go?” Vieira said. “I don’t think any amount of money will make a difference. Thierry is like me: he needs to be happy, he needs to feel he is working for success. People say money can buy anyone, but I’m not so sure.”

If he sees out his new contract, Vieira will have spent a decade at Highbury. His desire to build an empire in North London is admirable and Wenger has proved that success is attainable even without spending fortunes, but the fact remains that Arsenal have yet to progress beyond the quarter-finals in the European Cup. If anything would drive him into the arms of Madrid or Manchester United it is surely repeated failings in Europe, but Vieira believes that a corner has been turned in this campaign after a narrow escape from elimination in the group phase.

----------------------------------------------------------

the two fingered French salute to Madrid :howler:

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
good for you !

and i dont think henry will let his dream go away by staying in arsenal and dream of winning a CL :eek:

henry's dream is to play along ronaldo and zidane though there is no place for him in madrid, noway he can replace ronaldo and in his dream takes place of raul madrid!

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Viera? Sorry, his fave colour is red and he sees it too often! We need a player, not a dredger!:tongue: :D

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
BRAVO PAT AND TITI!!!:proud:

These are men of honour, like there are not many left in this world. Two men that make me even prouder to be French!!:proud:

ALLEZ PAT!!
ALLEZ TITI!!!
ALLEZ ARSENAL!!!(except when you're playing Milan that is..:tongue: ).

Cheers.;)

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Happy to see P.V. stay with Arsenal, He's a great player and would be a great addition to the club and I will not think poorly of him as he tried to reach the summit with Arsenal.

It will remain to be seen if Arsenal can have success in Europe but like Beckham said He would have regreted if he had not taken the chance to prove himself in spain for arguable the greatest football club in the world.

There are plenty of players who would be willing to sign for Real, it's up to Perez & Valdano to do what is in the best interest of the football club.

good luck to P.V.

Hala Madrid:star:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted this because i see many Madridstas saying Perez always gets what he wants,Paddy Vieira proves that not every footballer is motivated by money and guaranteed medals,sometimes a dream is worth working for,rather than take the easy option. ;)

i'd just like these people to acknowledge this and quit some arrogance about everyone wants to play for Madrid( i realise this is a minority of Madridstas)

United are the same,they sell t-shirts saying "99% of footballers want to join United,the other 1% are liars" :yuck:

i am just glad there is good men around the game,otherwise it would end up a stale state of affairs,with smaller clubs never having the chance to challenge the elite.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
I posted this because i see many Madridstas saying Perez always gets what he wants,Paddy Vieira proves that not every footballer is motivated by money and guaranteed medals,sometimes a dream is worth working for,rather than take the easy option. ;)

i'd just like these people to acknowledge this and quit some arrogance about everyone wants to play for Madrid( i realise this is a minority of Madridstas)

United are the same,they sell t-shirts saying "99% of footballers want to join United,the other 1% are liars" :yuck:

i am just glad there is good men around the game,otherwise it would end up a stale state of affairs,with smaller clubs never having the chance to challenge the elite.
when your club can boast of a history of achievements and top that off with current success you need to be some what forgiving if we seem arrogant.

When you can boast a line up of Raul, Roberto Carlos, Casillas, Figo, Zizou, Ronaldo and Beckham why not think the biggest names would not want to play for this great club?

In some cases such as Ronaldo and Beckham loss money to play for Real.

BTW-In regards to the title of this thread, we do get what we want which is championships, let Inter get the names we will take the titles.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do forgive Madridstas who are arrogant,but i just think for the good of football,now and again they need a good hard slap in the face to tell them what's what,Paddy and Titi have done this but there will always be spoilt children that don't believe it and are flabbergasted that these players have blanked Madrid. :tongue:

we can all recognise Madrid have all the great players but IMO this isn't healthy,if all the best clubs could take the stance that the Arsenal have and refuse to sell,the football world would be a much better place.

i don't think you are getting my point,Madrid will always be a major force,but if any clubs fans from the second tier have a hope to progress they need to believe that some players will always have a go at the seemingly impossible rahther than taking the easy route,i think Vieira and Henry have proved there is still some heart and soul in football.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
i do forgive Madridstas who are arrogant,but i just think for the good of football,now and again they need a good hard slap in the face to tell them what's what,Paddy and Titi have done this but there will always be spoilt children that don't believe it and are flabbergasted that these players have blanked Madrid. :tongue:

we can all recognise Madrid have all the great players but IMO this isn't healthy,if all the best clubs could take the stance that the Arsenal have and refuse to sell,the football world would be a much better place.

i don't think you are getting my point,Madrid will always be a major force,but if any clubs fans from the second tier have a hope to progress they need to believe that some players will always have a go at the seemingly impossible rahther than taking the easy route,i think Vieira and Henry have proved there is still some heart and soul in football.
what will you say if henry or viera get sold in the summer??????

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Che said:
Happy to see P.V. stay with Arsenal, He's a great player and would be a great addition to the club and I will not think poorly of him as he tried to reach the summit with Arsenal.
Great addition to Real Madrid? :confused:

I would probably agree, if he wouldn't behave like a 2 years old kid most of the time!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
,i think Vieira and Henry have proved there is still some heart and soul in football.

And you're proving, you're naive as hell!
I would never believe what a player says in an interview, almost all do exactly the contrary of what they are speaking about. It's all about money, question is only how many.:cool:

·
Registered
619 Posts
First thing Vieira got a good deal when he extended his contract.

Second thing Perez was not that serious in getting him, if he had the same determination as for ZZ, Figo & Beckham , trust me Vieira now was in Madrid

·
Registered
462 Posts
Didn't Vieira have dreams of going to Real Madrid but later said he would never joined Madrid because of the way they treated Makelele? That was everywhere, now he comes and says this? He is afraid Real Madrid might get his beloved Henry.:D

Jern Lizardhous.........was it bothering you about our team that you always critique us? That we have the best players? That they are not playing for Arsenal? Please.......if Arsenal had all the attention and all the stars, I bet you you wouldn't be whining by now.;) No offense.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Didn't Vieira have dreams of going to Real Madrid but later said he would never joined Madrid because of the way they treated Makelele? That was everywhere, now he comes and says this? He is afraid Real Madrid might get his beloved Henry.:D

Jern Lizardhous.........what's bothering you about our team that you always critique us? That we have the best players? That they are not playing for Arsenal? Please.......if Arsenal had all the attention and all the stars, I bet you you wouldn't be whining by now.;) No offense.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Galctico,where do i always critique Madrid ? i said your defending at OT was laughable yes,that's the only time i think,in the same thread i said on your day you play the best football in the world,you really need to develop some thicker skin if you call that heavy criticism :D

Vieira stayed at the Arse because he likes it here and has a great challenge,Perez wanted him but Vieira wouldn't take the dollar,Vieira had 12 months to run on his contract,he could have been signing now in January for RM for free :eek: some of the posters in this forum just can't accept it and have proved my point for me. :D

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Some of you Merengue fans are living in a fantasy land...:eek:

Sure Real Madrid have the biggest "names" in world football, however, they do not have the best team in the world since your team is probably the most unbalanced team among all the top teams...:eek:

I'd really can't wait to see this Galactico team face up against the likes of Milan, Juve or Arsenal this season in the CL...now that would give us a good indication of how good this Real Madrid team really are...;)

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
San Siro said:
I'd really can't wait to see this Galactico team face up against the likes of Milan, Juve or Arsenal this season in the CL...now that would give us a good indication of how good this Real Madrid team really are...;)

Cheers.;)
Oh! Not too good! Just a little better than those three other teams you mentioned. ;)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
See, the fantasy land I was referring to...:eek:

:tongue:

Cheers.;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts