Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no such thing as an ugly win.

Just wanted to correct myself on that point.

A win is a win is a win.

In fact, only casual fans don't recognize the art in a defensive strategy, designed to frustrate and break the flow of an offensive oriented team and then take advantage on a counter attack opportunity. Which often leads to further frustration, enticing the offensive team play even riskier, resulting in more counter attack opportunities.

Much like a good rushing game in the NFL. If you're able to run the ball effectively, you:

1- keep the opponents offense on the bench.
2- wear out the defense.
3- kill the clock.
4- set the opponents defense up for a big passing play when they start to cheat up to stop the run.

You see? Both, in soccer and Football, the strategy is to frustrate the opponent and lead to risk taking.

Like the NFL version of the tactic, it only works when you choose to do it to the right opponent in the right state of mind.

Sporting was perfectly set up.

If yer the real Futbol fan you claim to be, you'd recognise that.

Turns out, yer not even good at name calling.

[This message has been edited by Pila (edited 11-05-2000).]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Can you please do another post and condescend me further.

Persistent fouling is a tactic, just not one i'd like my team to stoop to.

Two (in)famous teams:

Brazil 1970
Argentiana 1990

I prefer the first, which one to your prefer?
I imagine you admire the Argentinian's unsurpased ability to frustrate, cheat, con referees etc

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you call cheating or conning the referees, some call experience.

How can you say a team cheats? It is the officials responsibility to enforce the codes of the game. If a team gets a way with something illegal then it is poor officiating not cheating on the offending team's part.

But, this conversation is taking a turn off the topic.

My only point is the winning is not everything. It is the ONLY thing. I could care beans if you find it ugly or otherwise.

Swallow the crow whole. It'll taste less bitter.

[This message has been edited by Pila (edited 11-05-2000).]

·
Registered
595 Posts
Set up?

For God's sake, Benfica was just lucky in a free kick.
They reached Schmeichel's goal for some three times in the 2nd half.

What people can do is blame Sporting for inneficient attacks, and compliment Benfica for using its opportunities.

But planning beforehand to play so backwards during 90 minutes? Benfica wouldn't have even got the 3rd place if they played like that during the season!
For example, how would they beat Farense 6-2 like that? They had to attack - often.

But none of this means that our team's victory is ugly. When our team wins it's always beautiful, I know that.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4EVA,

I was simply trying to make a point. Sometimes what fans perceive as ugly is a carefully calculated tactic to counter the strengths of his opponents.

How often has other countries made us eat our pretty game with a simple counter attack?

Let's just win. F' the pretty game.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts