Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused. Are you Italian or Portuguese?

Just curious...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I'm an Italian-American (with some Irish mixed in) - my wife's Portuguese (Portuguese Passport).

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your wife is Portuguese?

Oh, you poor fella. :)

How did you become a Benfica fan?

What part of Portugal is your Wife from?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
95% of my wife's family are Benfiquistas, and her father played in their system in Castelo Branco (then a Segunda Liga team). I always ask him why HE picked Benfica, since he had also played in Belenenses' team in Laurenco Marques (where he played versus you-who-know-who from Sporting), but he just always says, "because Benfica is the best!". I realized early in my relationship with my wife that the way to her father's heart was with chorizo, Super Bocks, and Benfica, so I took an interest in his club. Then I started going to games at the Luz and I've been infected ever since!

To answer your question, her family comes from a town called Tinalhas, which is just north of Castelo Branco (where my in-laws have just retired to last month). My wife grew up in a town called Villa Cortes before coming to the US in the 80s. Do any of these locations ring a bell?

Where's your family from?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You picked the right team!

Absolutely, I'm familiar with the area. I have a lot of family up north, myself. Most from Braga, on my mothers side, and some from Viseu, Pop's side.

But, we lived in Lisboa practically our whole Portugal lives. My parents have moved back from the US to Lisboa some 8 years ago. I was goung to the Luz since I was three, which, by the way, my father has made me a member of our club at that age (I have great seniority, if I'd actually vote).

My wife, however, is Algarvia. Try living with that!!!

Hehe!

Thanks, for sharing. I was confused why you were rootin for Italy and your abvious loyalty to Benfica threw me off. The combination of the two didn't jive to me. Much like being a Devil and a Knick fan, like Red Eagle.

L

·
0 Posts
Hey!!! My family is from the Algarve, from the Faro area :)

PS- Farense sucks!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Ah...Castelo Branco is a very nice town...I have friends there. However Algarvias can't compare with Minhotas...those tempers are too much :)Razor, so your in-laws are refugees just like Pila and myself, although we're from Angola and they're from Mozambique. So was your wife born in Mozambique as well? If she was then you married good people...cause all Portuguese refugees are good people! :D

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I married the best of them all! Her parents were both born in Tinalhas, while my wife and her brother were both born in Mocambique. Their family then moved to Villa Cortes for a few years before moving to the states.

Were Pila and you born in Angola too, or is that where your parents came from?

PS - RedEagle - what's the name of that disco on the outskirts of Castelo Branco, something like "Republica"? That place is great!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Yup...I was born in Luanda, Angola...and Pila was born somewhere in the Bush :)! I was in Castelo Branco two years ago...there was this huge club there that I went to...but I can't recall the name. The Club was inside the city itself and not on the outskirts. The best club though is in Lisbon, right next to the Docas it's called the Kremlin if I'm not mistaken...man what shelter for women! :D

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The Docas Rock!

The entire stretch beneath the bridge is phenomenal for the eyes! Lisboa is definitely an underated city compared to the rest of Europe - especially at night.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about two separate clubs. The one I'm talking about was this compound in the boondocks that featured this big hydraulic dancefloor that raised up and down about two or three feet during the night (not too easy to maneuver when you're tanked!).

How old were you guys when you moved here?

·
International
5,629 Posts
Definately two different clubs...another good one used to be Kadoc in the Algarve...That one is huge! I was 9 years old when my family moved over here...I don't know how old Pila was...However after Angola I had a five year stint in Portugal, then we moved to the good ole USA!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Angola

I was nearly three (1972) when I moved to Cacilhas from Luanda and moved from Lisbon to Elizabeth, NJ at the age of 9 (1978).

I was born in Luanda, not the bush, you sonabitch. However, I did spent some time in the bush where my grandfather had a trading post near the eastern border. I did run around with the bush children and came very close to being branded with the tribal scar accross both cheeks if it wasn't for the ever timely appearence of my grandmother as they were preparing me and my brother.

The Kremlin rules. The Doca is a freakin fashion show. Phenomenal peace'ass everywhere.

Kadoc is truly big, though. However, I've outgrown clubs and prefer to spend my time in pubs where entrance is free, the drinks are cheaper, and the music is better. At my age one can only tolerate techno for so long. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Pila where exactly from the braga area r ure family from coz my family r from Terras de bouro which is in the braga area as well

S

·
0 Posts
You got to drop some XTC to enjoy that hard house and techno music!If you's ever go to Sao Miguel island go to Opera in Ponta Delgada or o Furno in Santa Clara they are both pumping! But if your in Boston go to the Roxy on Saturday night or Avalon on Lansdowne street! It's like a zoo in those places!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts