Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sung by Irish, Celtics and Leverkusen fans recently... now this

from Teamtalk:

Liverpool fans singing the club's famous anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone" have featured in Germany's World Cup 2006 Press presentation video.
The famous song, which has also been heard eminating from the Ireland fans' during the tournament, was used to conclude the German presentation for the next World Cup that they will host in four years time.

-------------------

Of course nobody can do a better rendition than the best footie fans in the world - the originals ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
B*O*S*H* said:
Sung by Irish, Celtics and Leverkusen fans recently...
Don't forget Feyenoord! :cool:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: YNWA - Probably the best footie anthem ever

Eddy Fräser said:

Don't forget Feyenoord! :cool:
Oh ya, pal...Feyenoord too

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
A.E
Erm...no cos we did not write the song, a couple of yanks did.

Just a brief History of the Anthem
After long and highly distinguished careers with other collaborators, Richard Rodgers (composer) and Oscar Hammerstein II (librettist/lyricist) joined forces to create the most consistently fruitful and successful partnership in the American musical theatre.

It was released in a 1946 play called "Carousel", Opened April 19, 1945 at the Majestic Theatre, (New York) and ran for 890 performances

When it was played in England in a year I dunno when, someone from LFC liked it and the rest is history.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Gerry and the Pacemakers (who also did Ferry Cross the Mersey) sang the song in Britain. As they were from Liverpool i'm guessing LFC just adopted it as their anthem.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I think it was Liverpool and Celtic who sang it first. so is that why ireland sang it. Anyway i love singing it at the Celtic games.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts