Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, some big names didn't (dare to) compete in the Free-kick master competion in Marbella the last two days, but we Dutchies know that Ugur would have killed them too with his freekicks. :shades:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i saw some footage of the competition and his freekicks were phenomenal :strong:
i still cant believe that he hasnt played on NT level yet
even where i come from people have started to take notice of him, especially after his UEFA cup performances
truely a very gifted footballer

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
He's really a great player, if he continues performing like this he won't be long playing for Heerenveen anymore I think...

Everytime when I see him playing I really enjoy it, I don't know a player with a better 'technique to kick a ball'...

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I wonder why van Hooijdonk didn't participate. Maybe he now too believes that his free-kicks nowadays aren't a shimmer of what they used to be.
I was surprised to see that China have their own David Beckham too. Is he right or left-footed?
I think soccer is pretty big in China, I'm sure this guy is very commited to the sport, coz he must practice free-kicks for hours per day.

·
Registered
59,191 Posts
Great to hear!

I think he'd beat Okocha or PVH or Beckham where they to have taken part in this tournament. Beckhams freekicks definitely aren't so accurate as they were at Man U while PVH too imo was better at Feyenoord. When he's had for the opportunity for Oranje in the last few games, he's always seemed to find the wall (like vs Germany in euro 2004 and the games after). Had it been the UEFA cup winning season for Feyenoord he'd at least have found the target. As for Okocha, he hits the crossbar too often :eek:

anyone have the full list of players who took part btw? I know Bodnar, Zidane and that Chinese guy took part but there were more, right? :D

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't mind if he doesn't. ;)

Wally:

1. LASZLO BODNAR Hungaria Roda JC
2. VASSILIS TSIARTIAS Greece 1.FC Köln
3. SHEN SI China Shangai Zhonguan
4. DAN MARIUS MITU Romania Lierse SK
5. ORLANDO ENGELAAR Holland Racing Genk
6. LUIS HERNANDEZ Mexico Chiapas
7. MIGUEL ANGEL ANGULO Spain Valencia
8. DAVID VILLA Spain Real Zaragoza
9. DELRON BUCKLEY South Africa Arminia Bielefeld
10. RUNAR KRISTINSSON Iceland Lokeren SC
11. NASTJA CEH Slovania Club Brugge
12. UGUR YILDIRIM Turkey SC Heerenveen
13. HAMILTON RICARD Columbia Apoel Nicosia
14. CONSTANTIN GALCA Romania Almeria
15. STEIN HUYSEGEMS Belgium AZ Alkmaar
16. MARTIN PETROV Bulgaria VFL Volsburgo
17. ALBERT RIERA Spain Bordeaux
18. ALBERTO ZAPATER Spain Zaragoza
19. BENJAMÍN ZARANDONA Spain Real Betis
20. MARIO GRGUROVIC Croatia Hajduk Split

and of course Zidane.

·
Registered
59,191 Posts
Thanks for the list!
Luis Hernandez, the old Mexican still around!?! :eek: :D and old Boroboy Hamilton Ricard playing in Cyprus of all places. :doh:
As for Engelaar and Huseygems, I never saw them as set piece takers. :confused: but still a good list to beat nevertheless.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high though about the NT thing btw. I still think he'll pick Turkey before us but imagine this in WC 2006 :cool:

Robben - RVN/Makaay - Yildrim :drool:

----------Van Persie (were he to get a brain)-------
------Davids-------Landzaat--------

Pascal Vogel? :D - Stam.. ;) - Bouhlarouz - de Jong

--------------vd Sar----------------

·
Registered
228 Posts
Let´s hope he won´t pick Turkey. van Basten has to talk a lot to him to convince Ugur it´s better for him to play for Holland, because we don´t have many good (right) wingers in Holland.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VI.nl reported today that his decision for which country he wants to play has to be made soon, cause both countries would like to include him in their squad for the upcoming friendly. He says that if he listens to his family it will most likely be Turkey, but he himself will make the decision. So the advice of his family won't be binding.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I'm quite convinced he will pick Turkey. I would be surprised if he were to choose Oranje because he has always stated that playing for Turkey is his big dream. Now we'll see if he's a man of his words I guess.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
i'm sorry but i'm just fu(king sick and tired of all those players who were born here and lived their entire lives in the netherlands choosing the nt of a country which they only know from the vacations or stories. don't get me wrong, if Ugur chooses to play for Holland i'll welcome him with open arms but that shit just irritates the life out of me. I do hope he has the ability and the talent to make it at such a high level. I think he does but i'm not quite convinced yet.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I actually hope that he plays for Turkey. Yeah, he was born in the Netherlands and everything, but I don't want the national team in twenty years to be full of Yildirims, Oktans, and Sas's, and resemble the Turkish national team when you look at the names.

·
Registered
59,191 Posts
Stygmata said:
i'm sorry but i'm just fu(king sick and tired of all those players who were born here and lived their entire lives in the netherlands choosing the nt of a country which they only know from the vacations or stories. don't get me wrong, if Ugur chooses to play for Holland i'll welcome him with open arms but that shit just irritates the life out of me. I do hope he has the ability and the talent to make it at such a high level. I think he does but i'm not quite convinced yet.
Well to be honest , if I was any good in sports :D, I'd still choose Holland despite being born and brought up in England, though maybe I'd have changed mind had I continued living there the whole time.

As for the names bit, I think it's just everyday reality if you just look in a Rotterdam phone book or just take a look at Feyenoords or PSVs youth teams that they're full of non Dutch names. (eg. Affolay, Bakal for PSV and guys like N'Kunku which is from the Congo in Feyenoords youth team). They're our future and it more or less shows the multicultural diversity we have here now in Holland. It'd only be a good thing imo if more choose to play for Holland but you can't expect them all to play for Holland straight away (look at Simunic whos Australian born but plays for Croatia or the Kovac brothers who were born and bred in Germany but still opted to play for Croatia). It might take a couple of generations. You can't expect it to go as quickly as with Indonesians or lets say Carribean people in England who can identify themselves more with England and Holland cos of the close :)D well you know what I mean :pp) links the countries have had for centuries.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I think you mean the Surinams. Because there aren't many players of Indonesian decent in the Dutch I think. The only one I can think of is van Bronckhorst. Or is Landzaat also from the Molukken?

·
Registered
59,191 Posts
Nah I meant Indonesians but yeah Surinamers would have been an even better example.

Landzaat indeed also is Indonesian (Ambonees/Moluks if you want to be exact). You also off course had Simon Tahamata :proud: in the past and Michael Mols looks very Asian too. He has to be either half Chinese or half Indonesian.

Jeffrey Lewikabessy from NEC, ex Groningens Ignacio Tuhuteru and one capped international Bart Latuheru are also Moluks/ Indonesian but obviously not so good as the guys I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bazman said:
I actually hope that he plays for Turkey. Yeah, he was born in the Netherlands and everything, but I don't want the national team in twenty years to be full of Yildirims, Oktans, and Sas's, and resemble the Turkish national team when you look at the names.
As if that will happen....and if it will happen I don't mind either as long as those players are the best we have. We have the Morrocan now with Bouhlarouz in the team so it's time for a Turk too in order to reflect the mixed people we have here in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Stygmata said:
You are not in the position to judge people like Yildirim. No offense, but these guys have been brought up in two worlds (Dutch and Turkish/Moroccan/Other) and you bet they have a hell of a difficult job to decide who they should play for. It is not up to us to judge them on this difficult decision.

Whatever he chooses, I respect it and I hope he can make up his mind, because this guy has the potential to be in either of the two NT's.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Bazman said:
Wow, welcome to reality. Sorry, but I find your argument quite disturbing. We have a multicultural society and if more Turks or Moroccans make it to the top, I'm glad for them. Because I am glad for everyone who makes it to the top. The fact that you don't really want all the Turks in the NT, fits in nicely with Stigmata's earlier post. Why? Because people like Yildirim are not even seen as equal Dutch citizens. This does not come as a surprise, but you argument underlines it. Apparantly there are still a lot of Dutch people who are pissed when they see the (good) result of the multicultural society reflected in the National team.

Then the question, why are there so many immigrants in the top youth teams? Simple. If I go out in my predominantly white neighbourhood, I see no-one on the streets, because all the kids are inside with they overweight body behind a Playstation or their DVD player. Now go out in a predominantly immigrant neighbourhood in the big cities or even the small cities. Who do you find on the streets, practising their skills all day? Correct, the Turks, Moroccans, Surinamers, the Antillians etc. When you don't have a lot, you can always fall back to the ball.

On top of that I am convinced that there is no better remedy to the ongoing,worsening polarisation in this country than a mixed National Team. During the period in which the Front National was on the rise in France, all the efforts to break them down failed. There was something that did have a big influence in the downfall of this wicked party though: The successive victories by Les Bleus in 1998 and 2000. A team with Blancs, Blacks et Beurs who showed the world how to play football as a team. It would be good if we managed to create something like that in this country as well. Maybe that is the last remedy to ignorant thoughts.

·
Registered
59,191 Posts
Totally agree and it's not often :D

Good post. Tried to say that in my first post on this page but you put it even better. With viewpoints like "I don't want to see players with Turkish names in the team", it won't be a surprise if players from other backgrounds in a similar position as Yildrim wouldn't feel welcome or comfortable representing Holland even though they are just as Dutch as anyone living in Holland is. They contribute to society as much as anyone.
Luckily this viewpoint that you'd rather not see foreign names representing Hollands NT is only from a small minority in Holland. At least I hope so.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts