Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I said guys, was in Canberra on Saturday night for the away match between Avala and Belconnen.

We went down to Belconnen 3-1 which was our first loss of the season.
Went outside in the car park and let off 3 flares and started singing. The flares died down by themselves and we went off to party in the city.
Read this from the Canberra Times ....

Blue Devils inflict White Eagles' first defeat of season

THE Blue Devils became the first team this season to beat top-of-the-table Bonnyrigg White Eagles last night.

But their moment of glory was overshadowed by some ugly scenes in the car park outside the West Belconnen Leagues Club involving a group of visiting supporters, who had started to leave the ground five minutes from the end.

By that time Belconnen marksman Daniel Macor had scored his second of the night to seal a precious 3-1 victory.

As the small band of visiting fans left the stadium several flares were lit, and at least four were hurled into nearby bushes and leaves, and at some outhouses adjoining the ground.

That none of the flares caused a serious fire was down to the quick thinking of club officials who reached swiftly for the hose pipe.

The appalling behaviour of the Bonnyrigg fans is certain to be the subject of an investigation by the NSW Soccer Federation.

Doubtless, it is a mindless minority of that club's followers that is responsible, but for how much longer can the White Eagles, or indeed the Federation, continue to turn a blind eye to such shameless behaviour?

The club must call these people to account or face the consequences. Australian soccer will not be able to escape its shoddy reputation until it has rid itself of these delinquents.

In every respect last night was not a distinguished one for the White Eagles.

It was their first defeat of the season and only sporadically did they look like a side that had won 10 of their 11 matches.

By the end, they were playing with 10 men, Shane Knight having been dismissed for a second bookable offence.

Danny Macor gave Belconnen a 17th-minute lead from the penalty spot, but seven minutes later Bonnyrigg equalised with a Vuko Tomasevic header.

It was Camara who set up Belconnen's second soon after the break, when he burst through the off-side trap, drew the goalkeeper and unselfishly laid the ball off to David Arranz, who stroked it into an empty net.

Three minutes from time Macor scored again. There followed some spiteful exchanges between the two sets of players in a match that had simmered all evening, but there was nothing as explosive as the grim scenes that unfolded in the car park.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
1 - 1 of 1 Posts