Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would make a great story if the team includes Baggio. Imagine a side with Totti, Cassano, Vierri, Baggio, Miccoli AND no Del Piero and no Inzaghi. Can we hope? Not so much against Del Piero, but for Baggio.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/apr27i.html

Giovanni Trapattoni has confessed that Roberto Baggio’s friendly test against Spain may not be his final Azzurri appearance after all.

“I don’t believe that he is ready to hang up his boots,” noted the Italy Coach, “and it is true there have been a lot of major injuries in the team recently. I don’t want to say anything, but only God knows what will happen tomorrow.”

This is the kind of statement that Baggio followers everywhere were waiting for – a suggestion that the Divine Ponytail could be part of the Euro 2004 squad.

The 37-year-old was sat beside Trapattoni in today’s press conference and insisted this will be his final season in professional football, but he would certainly not turn down the opportunity to take part in the summer tournament.

“Just the fact Trapattoni has said ‘never say never’ is already more than I could have ever hoped for,” smiled the Brescia star. “I am happy with this match, but if something else comes along then I’ll obviously be ecstatic.”

The door to the Azzurri has opened for Baggio five years after his last international appearance on March 31 1999 and was originally planned as a farewell gesture before he hung up his boots.

However, serious injuries to high-profile stars Alessandro Del Piero and Pippo Inzaghi mean that Baggio could be considered for the Euro 2004 squad.

“I need to give precedence to the group that earned qualification for this tournament,” added Trapattoni, “but in football you can never say never.”

Nonetheless, the wily old Coach warned the newspapers off starting a ‘Bring back Baggio’ campaign.

“Many things can happen from now until July, but certainly not affected by the pressure of the media. If that were the case then I’d call up 30 players and plan 10 million different line-ups.”

3,000 fans packed into the Stadio Luigi Ferraris this afternoon to witness the game between ranks and went wild when Baggio scored the opening goal – a fierce drive from the edge of the box.

At the end of this training session Trapattoni confirmed the starting eleven for Wednesday’s friendly match against Spain in a 4-3-1-2 system.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
At the moment Id prefer Del piero to Miccoli even if DP has just returned, but it would be a drea for Baggio to be there with Cassano, DP and Totti, but I find this highly unlikely.

Miccoli I hope regains his form next year because he is a great player who was ruined in the first part of the season by never playing.

·
Registered
45,621 Posts
Deano said:
At the moment Id prefer Del piero to Miccoli even if DP has just returned, but it would be a drea for Baggio to be there with Cassano, DP and Totti, but I find this highly unlikely.
I agree. And I would renounce to the reserve of Vieri. Our "big" forwards are all crap (Vieri excluded) from Corradi to Bazzani without even mentioning Delvecchio.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Of course... pghhh, Miccoli instead of Del Piero. That's just making the same mistake that was made with Baggio and Del Piero all over the years!!!! Don't bench them!!!!!! Always let them play!!!! BOTH! TOGETHER!!!!!

Fiore---- Totti --- Del Piero

Baggio---Cassno

Dream team.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Italy sure don't need Del Piero but heaven and hell boy do they need the Genius of baggio.DP has had that many chances for Italy and constantly dissapointed in my book.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Well your book is obviously covered with coffee stains or something. Italy needs Del Piero like a flower needs water. Del Piero wasn't given enough chances.. in fact, he was always subsituted or starting on the bench or being played injured and Italy has a lot to thank Del Piero for... he's the main reason Italy qualifed both to the WC and the Euro !!! He always scores, he's the most brilliant Italian player ever, and he's the best inspiration.... talks otherwise almost made us lose against Mexico for God's Sake.

Baggio, with all due respect, and there's alot of respect, had his share of chances too!!!!! Italy needs Alex much more...... Baggio today played well but he's not exactly pivotal to the team... I love Roby but I want them to play toghether.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
gba said:
Well your book is obviously covered with coffee stains or something. Italy needs Del Piero like a flower needs water. Del Piero wasn't given enough chances.. in fact, he was always subsituted or starting on the bench or being played injured and Italy has a lot to thank Del Piero for... he's the main reason Italy qualifed both to the WC and the Euro !!! He always scores, he's the most brilliant Italian player ever, and he's the best inspiration.... talks otherwise almost made us lose against Mexico for God's Sake.

Baggio, with all due respect, and there's alot of respect, had his share of chances too!!!!! Italy needs Alex much more...... Baggio today played well but he's not exactly pivotal to the team... I love Roby but I want them to play toghether.
Oh please DP has'nt had a chance he's had that many and ruined them IMo.Baggio has had his chances and taken them.DP the most brilliant Italian player ever,where have you been.when it's counted most Dp has failed.Baggio has always delivered.
Baggio has a ratio of scoring in virtually every second game and he is'nt even a striker.
What share of chances has Baggio had that he has'nt taken?DP always scores and when is that in what games?He scored that goal in Japan and what about France 98 and Euro 2000?

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
He scored in the Euro and was impressive in all the games... he was MVP of Italy in most of the games he played there, though he was substitued a lot. In France, he really played very little... alternating with Baggio who scored one... Del Piero asssited one... Look, Baggio is awesome, he's the best... but he had the same amount of chances DP had in France. Had the coach chosen just one of them or played them both , then I believe there would have been goals. Baggio missed the greatest chance of them all kicking the worst penalty possible. He played 90 minutes throughout the tournament even though he didn't deliver at all in the group stage. Again.... I'm not trying to diminish any of Baggio's Greatness... but don't talk about "having enough chances"... it's not fair.

Btw, Del Piero also played a lot behind strikers, just like Baggio. Baggio has 27 goals, Del Piero is only a few goals behind.... there's no reason why he can't pass that "legendary" number of goals....

If you wanna discuss why DP "failed" in the World Cup, you might want to remember that DP hardly ever played despite playing amazingly in the league and also that the Azzurri were playing so defensively that he hardly had any opportunity to express himself . Well what do you know , much like Baggio now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
www.si.com

Baggio still hopeful to make it to Euro 2004

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- Roberto Baggio has not abandoned hopes of playing the European Championships with the Italian national team.

The veteran striker has announced his retirement at the end of this season, and last month in Genoa he played his farewell match with the national team against Spain.

But he insisted this week that he still hoped to get a call from Italy's coach Giovanni Trapattoni.

"The European Championships are the last dream of my career. I'm still hoping to get an opportunity," the 37-year-old Baggio was quoted as saying by Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport, Italy's largest sports daily.

Last Sunday Baggio set up one goal and scored another in Brescia's 2-1 home win over Lazio that touched off new calls for his call on the national team.

Trapattoni, who will issue a final list of 23 players for Portugal on June 2, was vague about the possibility to call Baggio, who was left home for the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea.

Baggio, who has scored 205 goals in Serie A matches, said he was keeping on training for Sunday's last season match at AC Milan and for a possible call from Trapattoni.

"I am also beginning to think of my Sundays without soccer and I'm not feeling good," he said.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
id love to have baggio, but you see that he cant run anymore and if he is in the squad, he could only be for back up. Del Piero's last few peformances at juve have been reasonable. and i think he is coming no matter what form he is in. i still think we could get away with baggio, miccoli, del piero and cassano. with vieri being the only big man and gilardino not making it due to traps being an ignorant fuk, i think only corradi will make it as the other big man option.

one thing is for sure, id rather have see miccoli or baggio than di vaio.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Yes Del Piero will probably go to Portugal and how sad and what a waste.He barely ever has an Influence on the side,Yes his performances for Juve have been average at best.Yeah,yeah Injuries Injuries and how many has Baggio suffered.I'm sick of it.It's to Political to not select DP in my book.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
just liek it was political not seeing del piero start in the world cup when it was clear he going to perform well. he made more of an impact than others did by only playing 80 mins of football all up.

this is italy, its been political since the 60's. zola and baggio in the 94 WC. Baggio and del piero in 98 WC....the list goes on.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
To me it just seems strange that even when Del Piero was'nt playing well he was still selected to play for Italy.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Well, not really. Look at it this way, almost every single pure striker that Italia has with the exception of Gilardino isn't going through a hot streak. So I can understand if Trap selects guys like Del Piero and Vieri due to experience and their obvious talent, but if he dare leave it Gilardino then no doubt the man is insane. :groan:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts