Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberto López (Real Valladolid) -Gipuzkoa-

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great season for Almunia (athough we're talking about a certain 'special' personality here..), for Iraizoz until the injury (he'd be recovered for the Euro), for Goitia, for Riesgo... Ruffier has been playing some games for Monaco and made the french u-21 this season... Armando and his arrival to Athletic.

I think there's a good set of players to choose from.:)

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
I wish England had this many keepers to choose from. Still Almunia could still possibly play for us, can't see it ever happening though.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neither for Euskal Herria... Let's say that Almunia isn't the prototype of a basque.. 'patriot'..:D

I voted for Gorka, of course.:)

And as I commented in the Almería game thread, let's pay attention to Goitia, I think we'll hear a lot about him soon, Málaga will have trouble to keep him, even if they promote.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had forgotten another who is making a great season, Unai Alba. Started the season as third keeper in Hércules, after two with experience in Primera as Toni Prats and Sergio Aragoneses and soon became the first, and is now one of the best goalies in Segunda.

Good eye by Ondarru (as always) to sign him for Athletic, and too dumb by Macua to not include a buy-back option, it would have been important to bring him back in the winter market, Hércules refused to sell him. He was the first option before Armando.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Neither for Euskal Herria... Let's say that Almunia isn't the prototype of a basque.. 'patriot'..:D
There are many good basque keepers, that's for sure. Almunia would be good enough for england, but not for euskal herria. (by the way, what's the difference between euskadi and euskal herria?)
Is there anything more than his "change" of nationality you think of? That he wants to change is in my opinion a change from spain to england, and wouldn't be too bad for a basque?

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
I don't think so much he's rather play for England than Spain, more that he wants to play international football and it isn't likely to happen with Spain currently.

If he was English he would be in the squad but seeing as he's only eligible to play for England through residency I can't see it happening. Even though we have a foreign coach I can't see any 'foreign' players ever being called up.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No, my comment about Almunia was more based on his words about the spanish team, his family background etc... doesn't have to do with his petition to play for England.

Anyway, Javi De Pedro wasn't either the most basque nt diehard fan yet everytime he played he did well, scoring important goals and he always played motivated. Other thing is if he had to choose in case the Basque NT was official, I have my doubts about that, but when he played he did well.

Pretty related, to add to my Iraizoz campaign (even if I think the advantage he currently has is enough:cool: ), this is part of the interview/chat with him in Athletic's official page.

-Would you like to be international with Spain and go to the Euro in Austria and Switzerland?
-Any player would like to play an Euro.

-Have you ever dreamed to play a World Cup with Euskadi?
-It would be something very beautiful, even more defending the national team of your country.

:D

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(by the way, what's the difference between euskadi and euskal herria?)
For some they are synonyms. For others, specially navarrans, Euskadi does not include them (just Bizkaia, Araba, and Gipuzkoa) and they prefer Euskal Herria.

To change the official name of the NT from Euskadi to Euskal Herria was one of the petitions by the players in their press conference last summer, that's why the FA changed it, starting on last December's game vs Catalunya.

·
Registered
736 Posts
For some they are synonyms. For others, specially navarrans, Euskadi does not include them (just Bizkaia, Araba, and Gipuzkoa) and they prefer Euskal Herria.
I thought Euskal Herria also included the french regions? Is it something political? That Euskal Herria includes all seven regions and not the three in Pays Basque? I got some comments (smile mostly) from a galician living in Norway when I wore my Euskal Herria t-shirt this summer, hehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts