Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
A true hero
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so if you've done this before, you know how this works, if you haven't, I shall explain.

We here on XT started doing our own player of the year awards in 2006. I mainly had the idea because we spend an awful lot of time bitching about the FIFA and UEFA awards being wrong, so I thought we might as well do our own and then bitch about that too. Thus, the XT world player of the year awards are born.

It works in the following steps.

Firstly, I put all the nominated players (which are ultimately chosen by me, although I did open a suggestion thread this year, unlike in previous years), into 5 pools. 100 players start out with a chance to win, and they get seperated into 5 pools of 20. You may vote for four players to go through from each pool and ultimately, the four players with the most votes in each pool go on to the final. The polls will stay open until the 4th of January.

After that, I will list the final 20 and ask everyone to send me a private message with their top 3 from that list. 1st place on a list is worth 5 points, 2nd is worth 3 points and 3rd is worth a point. Voting for that will stay open for a week or so too. I then tally the votes, add up the scores and turn it into a countdown thread with pictures, info and write a small piece on each player.

If you want to see examples, the countdown threads for the previous years awards are listed below.

I imagine some of the pictures are broken by now, though.

Any questions I'm happy to field here.

Also, bitching wise, I'm going to be less interested in people moaning about people they wanted being in the polls not being in them this year, so there will be no run off poll like I did one year I screwed up on a few. This year, I opened a suggestion thread and stated in it that to get someone in, you had to make the case for them there, otherwise it was going to come down to me. Some people did that, and they got players in based on laying out great cases for their inclusion. If you didn't see that, then sorry, I'll maybe make it an announcement next year. If you did and still want to bitch, you only have yourself to blame. Frankly I think every player that people went to more effort in that thread to put more than just their name, got in anyway.

Hugz n kissez
Rob :angel:

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
This award is a joke!

Now that we've gotten that mandatory line uttered we can start discussing this damn thing.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a better defender then Chiellini in 2008. Therefor, I demand a top 10 spot for him! :stuckup:

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Sergio Romero.Has not let in a goal in a home match since the opening day of the season.Which includes beating Ajax 2-0 and PSV 2 times in league and cup matches.

Hector Moreno.As what i wrote above.Moreno is the standout defender in Holland a fantasic young player.Who along with Sergio are the main reasons why we got a great defensive record.

Danny De Zeeuw.The bald headed Pirlo:proud: though only played one game at the Euros great assist in that game it was.He is the best midfielder in Holland he is everywhere he creates and and scores as well.And Valencia can fuk off as well.

Mounir El Hamadoaui.Top scorer in Holland with 14 goals but has lots of assists as well.A top player this season and was our top scorer in this calender year.Without a doubt the best player in Holland.

I am not saying any of these players would get in top 20.But they deserve the chance to find out.When players like Boruc,Fellani,Ogbuke,Agbonalar,Defour are in there instead.Also forgot Young as well.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
I did Rob when you first started that thread for asking for players after you made a list and missed players out.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
I added Carlos Edururdo without backing him up and he still got in.Above the players i mentioned why is that then.

Rob hope you do not mind me asking you.

·
A true hero
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More ignored than forgot, don't think he's special. You wanted him in you should have made the case

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Ignored - like not watching enough Palermo/Juventus games this year Rob?:)
Amauri doesnt need reasoning to be in the poll, at least not more than Torres or Eto'o. The best striker in Italy for 2008, seems like a decent enough argument to me.

·
A true hero
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
probably didn't see enough Palermo games no, but if he wasn't on the list then it was still suggestable. I didn't have Carrick on initially and I must have seen him play 50 times. A good argument got made and I stuck him in. Like I say, I gave people the chance to influence the polls this year, if Amauri missed out because someone actually made a case for someone else then tough shit, really.

·
A true hero
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a suggestion thread, it's not my fault if people couldn't be bothered to make cases for people they think should have been nominated. Those that could be bothered will find their suggestions in the polls. Those that didn't might not. I can't watch everything so people have to fill gaps in for me.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Sergio Romero.Has not let in a goal in a home match since the opening day of the season.Which includes beating Ajax 2-0 and PSV 2 times in league and cup matches.

Hector Moreno.As what i wrote above.Moreno is the standout defender in Holland a fantasic young player.Who along with Sergio are the main reasons why we got a great defensive record.

Danny De Zeeuw.The bald headed Pirlo:proud: though only played one game at the Euros great assist in that game it was.He is the best midfielder in Holland he is everywhere he creates and and scores as well.And Valencia can fuk off as well.

Mounir El Hamadoaui.Top scorer in Holland with 14 goals but has lots of assists as well.A top player this season and was our top scorer in this calender year.Without a doubt the best player in Holland.

I am not saying any of these players would get in top 20.But they deserve the chance to find out.When players like Boruc,Fellani,Ogbuke,Agbonalar,Defour are in there instead.Also forgot Young as well.
Young has been class this year and also the quality of dutch league has rapidly declined in recent years

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
So once again, this is "Rob's world player of the year polls"
It's not like any of the missing players would have won the poll so who cares.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts