Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Liverpool 1 Arsenal 2

Votes: 10 52.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second award, lets look at our most scintillating performances over the season.

Arsenal 4 Bayer Leverkusen 1: We thrashed the eventual CL finalists at Highbury. They couldnt cope with our sharp incisive passing and swift attacks.

Man Utd 0 Arsenal1: "We won the league in Manchester" -We certainly did, and we did it with a controlled performance, mixing defensive nous with cerebral attacking play.

Arsenal 2 Chelsea 0: The FA Cup final was a study in application for Arsenal. It was a win which owed more to determination than flair.

Arsenal 3 Juventus 1: The game where we realised we had finally arrived as a force in Europe. We outplayed the former CL winners with all their top players. Who can forget Dennis' assist for the third goal?

Liverpool 1 Arsenal 2: "We only had 10 men" Wenger describes this as the game where he realised we would win the championship. He speaks of the spirit he saw in the team on this day.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
we beat juve
that was my favourite
we won with a good score
we conquared england
and we beat the italian no.1

·
Registered
84 Posts
For me it's the 10-man performance against Liverpool. I think GvB's sending off was the main turning point in our season. Once he'd walked off of the pitch, there was a strengthening of our resolve...we looked and acted as a whole....we more 'Arsenal' than we had been before that moment. We chased everything, pressed, scored a couple of good goals and won the game with the sot of performance that would epitomise our season, flair, grit & goals.

BB

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Bayer game looked like the easiest game we'd have to play in the group, but, come the end of the season, they were the second best team in Europe.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I thnink in was very hard to choose bettwen The Liverpool the Leverkusen and ManU game. The game against Liverpool was a fantastic team performence and everybody fought really hard for each other, We beat Leverkusen in real style and we played terriffic football, The game against United will be remebred as a real classic and have an own chatpter in our history books.
Anyway my vote went to the Liverpool game beacuse it was symbolic for our whole seasone, A fantastic spirtit and a REAL toughterness :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
For me it was the game at Anfield.

We showed that never-say-die attitude, and the team played for each other after Gio was sent off.

Even Kanu dropped back and played in midfield and was bloody brilliant that day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
my personal favorite was the 4-1 destruction of bayer neverkusen. our players played an excellent game, and notice how we didnt let them win possession in the midfield and convert it into goals...only basturk was their good player, but apart from him, our wicked counterattacks from pires and henry, and the sublime skill shown by bergkamp and viera were all a joy to watch.

other great games:

both our league matches vs newcastle
3-1 b1tchslapping of manure at highbury
fa cup final vs chelsea...GREAT GOALS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How the hell can you count the league match with Newcastle at Highbury as one of our performances of the year?

It was good only if your a fan of tubby egomaniacs like Graham Poll, and it gives you great pleasure to watch them waddle around the pitch making awful decisions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i just found the league match against newcastle at highbury an entertaining contest, with good football, despite some of the poor refereeing. those decisions didnt count for much and didnt make much difference to our title anyway...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I voted for the 2-1 win at Anfield. That game proved we had spirit and the desire to go on and win the championship. And to beat Liverpool at Anfield with 10 men was awesome. Also I loved Freddie's goal after brilliant work down the left by Pires to beat Gerrard and get in his cross.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the game at anfield was probably our all round best perfromance, defencivly superb, in midfield we were strong and we took our chances.
the last 20 minutes of that game was just an onslaught on our goal, but our defence stood strong and managed to not concede another.
it made my christmas:)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
bayer played pretty bad against us btw
they had shtty passing and everything
gave the ball to us
crap all over

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
bayer played pretty bad against us btw
they had shtty passing and everything
gave the ball to us
crap all over
We made them play crap. We scored two early goals and that scared the s*it out of them. They became very cautious and tentative with their passing and getting forward. They kept losing possesion because whenever they were in possesion we closed them down very quickly and forced them to pass. It was our best European perfomance along with the 3-1 win over Juventus.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It was a fantastic seasone and if you rate the game against Liverpool, Leverkusen or the game at Old trafford against ManU is a question about personal opionions I suppose.
It was a fantastic seasone and the highlight was more than Spurs have experinced since after the second world war.
It`s pretty fantastic to have games like we had against ManU twice, Mallorca at Highbury, Aston Villa at Highbury, Juve at Highbury, Liverpool at Anfield, Chelsea at Highbury, Blackburn at Ewood park, Newcastle at S J park and the Fa cup final during the same seasone. It is something the most club only can dream about.
I really looking forward to the seasone video comes out :) :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And the Arsenal XT forum Performance of the Season 2001/2002 is:

Liverpool 1 Arsenal 2!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I voted for Lever for three of the classiest goals in one match.
I would have gone for Home to the Manx though.We was blinding in that and definitely Paddys best game of the season.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts