XT 2010 squad: CB

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Bocchetti (Genoa), Bonera (Milan), Bonucci (Bari), F. Cannavaro (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Dainelli (Genoa), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Moretti (Genoa), Ranocchia (Bari)

Nesta will probably not go so I left him out, although if he changes his mind its obvious us guys would have chosen him. Ranocchia and Gamberini have injuries which could rule them out although both are likely to be back before the tournament but consider their likely fitness.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive gone with Bonera for versatile defender. Bonucci, Cannavaro, Chiellini and Legrottaglie. Me choosing Legro shows the sad state the NT is in, with Gamberini now injured and Ranocchia also I dont see much better choices, however Legro has been better of late since the change in management. Maybe he can be another Materazzi and surprise us if called upon :pp

·
Registered
23,888 Posts
Bonera has played good... but since he only played like 5 games that says very little. Not to forget that he is currently injured again.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Why LOL at Bocchetti? This season he's be among the best of that list.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Have you seen him play THIS season? I'm sure if you kept an eye on him this season, you wouldn't say that :). He had good U-21 tournament (with Motta) and that's it. This season he has been very average and a mid-table defender at best. Moretti is the better defender in Genoa.

I agree about Legro...LOL at him too. But what can we do. Lippi did a terrible job in grooming young defenders and over-relied on Canna and Legro. It's too late now. You can't change the whole squad overnight right before the WC. Besides, Legro actually isn't too bad as a 4th choice CB, and he's a good understanding with Canna, Chiellini, Buffon, and Grosso. No biggie there. We just should be mindful of the new arrivals into the national team and make sure they are the best Italy has to offer. Bonera and Bochetti are far from it.

With a 3-CB formation, 5 CB's will go to the WC. Canna, Chiellini, and Legro are definitely in, and at this point they should be. In my eyes, Bonucci surely gets the 4th spot. For the 5th, honestly I can't pick b/w Astori, Barzagli, Gamberini, and Ranocchia. Can anyone tell me when Gamberini and Ranocchia return from their injuries? Also, anyone who has been following Bundesliga/Wolfsburg/Barzagli this season, how has he been doing? I liked his performances last season. But it's given that Lippi will never call him since he doesn't play in Serie A.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose if we were to bring a 37 y/o Materazzi then this NT is lost... of course bringing a 34 y/o Legrottaglie emphasises this anyway :cry:

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
so when is gamberini coming back from injury?

ranocchia is pretty much out of the equation as he's suffering from a season-ending injury. makes no sense picking him hoping that he'd reach 100% form and fitness come WC, and knowing that he won't be participating in the very valuable pre-WC friendlies.

materazzi has been getting a run in by mourinho lately (unlike earlier in the season), and actually, he has been playing pretty good.
deano, where have you been for the past 4 yrs? you seem oblivious of the state of present day Italia :tongue:

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Bonucci - Excellent season
F Cannavaro - Experience
Chiellini - Mother****ing consistent
Ranocchia - Poor lad...definately talent and definately has a future.
Gamberini - Under-valued and just very good everytime I see him...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bring Back up

Current CB going to WC

Chiellini 18
Bonucci 16
Cannavaro 14

In additional poll - Gamberini 9, Ranocchia 6

1 - 20 of 45 Posts