Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to raise an issue regarding Xavi's injury, was it a burden on us, or was it a blessing in disguise?

Seeing Barcelona play in the two leg's against Chelsea, you can see how we were playing smart football. I was just thinking, imagine Xavi wasn't injured, I am sure Rijkaard wouldn't have benched either Xavi or Deco for a more defensive player such as Motta, maybe the outcome of the two legs would have been totally different, without the defensive grit, and physical presence that Motta and Edmilson demonstrated.

I am not criticizing Xavi by any means, as he is the mind of the team, a brilliant player, and an essential part of our squad. I just want to hear your views regarding this issue; would the outcome be the same if we played with Xavi and Deco?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hmm yes thinking of it ..i dont think Rijkaard would have invented the Deco-Edmilson-Motta midfield ..which is a very strong midfield :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Well, Xavi was at fault for the 15-minute Stamford Bridge debacle of last season, but I think he would definitely have learnt from his mistakes this time around.

It's true that you put out a more defensively solid team without Xavi in the line-up, but with him playing you could have created more chances and therefore possibly score more goals.

I think you would have gone through with or without Xavi, personally.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not an issue of playing with Xavi or not, it is just the way we play with both Xavi and Deco in the pitch together is different, and I believe the key to our advancement to the Quarter-Finals was our Physical Midfield.

Still, I hope he will be back soon. If he's back I am sure it will be an issue in picking a team, there will be lots of discussion about it, if Rijkaard would keep the midfield that beat Chelsea, or change it.

Only time will tell...

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
Hmm, dont see it that way.

Motta is more physical, but not neceessarily more defensive. What Xavi looses in physical presence, he makes up for in wits, positioning and passing, much like Deco. The only disadvantage IMO is that we would be a small bit more vulnerable on set pieces. Barcelona defends best when they have the ball and pass it around, not when they chase players and tackle hard. IMO.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
With Xavi, Deco would have played 10-15 metres further back the pitch, Xavi was always the more forward of the two. I actually enjoy seeing Deco with more responsibility and hes really taken the game with the scruff of his neck. As to the question, with Deco and his tactical play in fouling, although we would be less phsyical I dont necessarily feel the results would be too different.

I was actually thinking, imagine how we would be if we still have Cesc with Xavi injured and Deco-Cesc and Motta behind them.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Goner said:
btw. anyone knows when he will be back?
He won't return this season unless he is ahead of schedule, which isn't the case as far as I am concerned.

He will be fit enough to play at the World Cup, but not playing for Barca again this season means it would be unfair on the others if he was still selected.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
L-Pheno said:
He won't return this season unless he is ahead of schedule, which isn't the case as far as I am concerned.

He will be fit enough to play at the World Cup, but not playing for Barca again this season means it would be unfair on the others if he was still selected.
He was ahead of schedule and last reports indicated he would be back in April.

Please L-Pheno, don't try to state things you THINK as FACTS.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Barçawinner said:
He was ahead of schedule and last reports indicated he would be back in April.

Please L-Pheno, don't try to state things you THINK as FACTS.
I said AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED. When someone makes a statement based on knowledge as far as they are concerned, it's never stating it as a fact.

F**ing hell, do you have a brain or do you deliberately try to annoy people?

And can you please give me a link which said he might be back in April?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Hey, let's not make an argument out of this. L-Pheno was just stating what he believed was right. No need for an argument to start. I also read that Xavi was ahead of schedule, but i read that probably a month ago so does anybody know Xavi's current state?

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
With Xavi in the team, in the Chelsea games like any other games, we would be better. People who watch Barca all the time can see that we aren't the same without him, despite the average fan seeing the results and thinking we are.

I HATE not having Lord Xavi in this team. We will be even better when He returns. :D

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Xavi is the brain of the team, his passing is pinpoint and sublime.

Our possession of the ball suffered when Xavi is missing, although we still have the majority of the possession in most games, it is evident that we miss him.

But the question still persists, imagine Xavi is healthy and not rusty in the semfinals (assuming we reach it), would Rijkaard opt to maintain our midfield or not? Would he Drop Deco and replace him with Xavi? Drop Motta/Edmilson for Xavi? etc...

But practically, Xavi won't be fit till the end of april/ begining of may, we shouldn't worry about it now. Any midfield we field is strong, that's the beauty of our current squad.

VISCA el BARCA!

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Culéd said:
Hmm, dont see it that way.

Motta is more physical, but not neceessarily more defensive. What Xavi looses in physical presence, he makes up for in wits, positioning and passing, much like Deco. The only disadvantage IMO is that we would be a small bit more vulnerable on set pieces. Barcelona defends best when they have the ball and pass it around, not when they chase players and tackle hard. IMO.
ViscaBarcaInter said:
With Xavi in the team, in the Chelsea games like any other games, we would be better. People who watch Barca all the time can see that we aren't the same without him, despite the average fan seeing the results and thinking we are.

I HATE not having Lord Xavi in this team. We will be even better when He returns. :D
Dream Team said:
With Xavi Barça would have won anyway. Probably with more goals and playing still better.
Thank God some folks here know the value of Xavi to this side. Last night was a huge neon red flashing sign. Motta may as well be Xavi's waterboy. Our passing was average at best last night and we would have enjoyed more possession and better quality of possession last night with Xavi in place of Motta. Like I said in my match ratings, I love Deco but he gives the ball away too much with his passes. Like Dream Team said, we'd have won playing even better with Xavi.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
you barca fans get too much, xavi is great he is much better then motta and bommel together

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
You're a bit harsh on Motta. His passing might not be the best around but there was clear improvement in his passing yesterday.
Having Xavi would have certainly added more possession and more accuracy to our passing and we could have played better game but i still feel playing Motta was the best option we could have used.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts