Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Muy Buenas to all the kop here. I was just posting this because it's more or less the halfway point in the football season and I was wondering how you feel about Xabi Alonso? IMO I think he was a good buy that will only get better. He's had some off games but we have to remember he just turned 23, so in another 2 seasons I'd say you will see him at his peak.

Anyhow enough of my babbling what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've been very impressed w/ him. Great passing and has scored some very nice and important goals. Huge asset to our team.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
I like that kid and he's been impressive so far. Great range of passing & a sweet striker of a dead ball. He's like what Pirlo is to Milan.

And he speaks good English too. ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
never seen him before in Spain, but i've been pleasantly surprised with what i've seen so far at Liverpool. most promising signing for the Red's i've seen in a while.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i feel that he's benitez' best signing so far. he's got talent, quality, a good work ethic and a personality that works well for lfc. except for the style of play, he's like stevie g minus stevie's primadonna "i'll gob to the press as much as possible" complex.

-p

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Im extremely impressed with him. :star:

He does have off matches now and then (especially when Hyypia and Traore start hoofing balls up field blindly bypassing the midfield) but considering that this is his first season here, his performance has been top notch. And coming from a Hamann fan, my praise for a player, who threatens to push Didi out of the LFC midfield in what is probably his last (?) season, is a good indication of how much he has impressed me! :)

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Been very, very impressed with him. Amazing vision and can hit a perfect pass 40+ yards with either foot, aslo has a good shot and a good tackler- perfect replacement for Hamann and also adds something more to are game.

Gerrard and Alonso= best partnership in the world ;)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
Gerrard and Alonso= best partnership in the world ;)
Really?

Some Pool fans here doubts that these two can fully cover the function Hamann performs. Wonder if Alonso can tackle as hard as, possess as precisely as Hamann.

:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
ivan,

agreed. xabi has a bit to go before he can equal didi defensively.

-p

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
SM ONLINE: Don't really think Xabi is a good tackler. I'd rate a good tackler when he's one-on-one with a player when his goes for the tackles, and Xabi doesn't really shine in those situations though. I reckon he's still settling down to the EPL, but from what I've seen of him in his last season at Sociedad (just a few games) plus all the games he's played for us this season, he won't really change that aspect of his game.

He's the kind of midfielder who needs the team to play a possesive, passing game and control the pace of the game, where he can exert his influence by his game-reading and passing. He's quite similiar to Xavi (Barca), Guardiola (Barca) and Veron (Inter) to name a few. He's the closest thing we've had to replacing Jamie Redknapp.

His game reading and good ball control+distribution will make him more valuable than Hamman ever was in time to come, but it needs the team to play in a certain way. He'll win many tackles when he comes in as the second or third covering tackler instead of winning tackles on his own.

He's done well for us. I reckon we'll get more assists from him in the second half of the season.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Jan Molby without the Pies. :jester:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts