Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Austrian football fans think that the Austrian football will ever ba able to put together a new "wunderteam" like they had in the 1930's, when the Austrian! national team was one of the world's or maybe the world's best team :eek:
In the EURO 2004 qualifiers it became quite obvious that Austrian football is still way and way behind to Holland, and even the Czech Rep, and Iv'e also read that Austria doesn't have many talented young players breaking through, is that true?

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Bazman said:
Do Austrian football fans think that the Austrian football will ever ba able to put together a new "wunderteam" like they had in the 1930's, when the Austrian! national team was one of the world's or maybe the world's best team :eek:
1) No. ;)

Bazman said:
In the EURO 2004 qualifiers it became quite obvious that Austrian football is still way and way behind to Holland, and even the Czech Rep, and Iv'e also read that Austria doesn't have many talented young players breaking through, is that true?
2)
3rd place at the U17 European Championships 2003
3rd place at the U19 European Championships 2003

Them breaking through is another thing though, I'm afraid.
We also were 2nd in the 1997 U 16 Euro, and most of those guys are literally nowhere these days.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Well, I don't think there will be a new Wunderteam in the near future.
However, in the 50ies (I think - or was it in the 60ies?) there was a team that many people believe could have won the world-cup. We didn't participate for financial reasons...

·
Registered
40,648 Posts
Re: Re: Wunderteam

arantes said:
I like this one. ;)
Typical overconfident dutchies, you should have seen them just a month ago though. :tongue:

Your youth threw out Serbia both in the U17 and U19 tournaments and that was pretty impressive to me. Good luck in the future.

and Forza Admira Wacker!

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
1) No. The overall status of football (societywise and stuff) is not high enough to revive Austrian football to what it was. Practically nobody comes to watch, the kids are dreaming about other stuff and as a result of the society position of football, the whole football system is not backed enough by politics, etc etc and all that.

2) Drulo, very interesting remark of yours. Just recently some dodgy rumor about Bastürk and Austria Wien had shortly, very shortly been discussed in an Austria Wien forum. One guy stated like "well, perhaps we get more spectators then, with floods of Turks living in Vienna joining in". Another guy replied like "Come on, what you are talking about? We have Yugovic, an icon, in the league now. How many Serbs living in Vienna now go and see Admira Wacker? Nobody!"

But now we actually have reference and the club is known to you. Interesting....

Also, Yugovic still has the impressive eye and plays long passes out of just standing there in an amazing fashion. Also from his whole attitude, very likable shows from the guy. He looks kinda like your friendly grey haired uncle from across the street. In fact, of course, he does not live across the street, but rented the most expensive available apartment in Vienna's inner district, 220 square meters big...... ;)

:)

·
Registered
40,648 Posts
doh, I forgot all about this topic. :tongue:

Alexx, I'm glad to hear his incredible vision is still there but to be honest I didn't expect anything different.
Juga was part of the golden generation and won himself the nickname; Zvezda's child from another planet. For our NT he was never the eyecatcher in a team filled with blown up egos but I always saw of what incredible importance he was, I simply love the guy and would have liked to see him end his career at the Marakana but our chairman seems to think different.

I read about the huge house he bought in Wien, I believe his wife is Austrian? As long as he's happy, I am too.
How's Juga doing with Admira btw? cause it's been a while since I replied to this topic.

And you know why Serbs don't come out and watch him? Cause there aren't 2 Serbs on this planet who think alike. ;)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Drulo said:
And you know why Serbs don't come out and watch him? Cause there aren't 2 Serbs on this planet who think alike. ;)
I see.... ;)

Too early to report too much new stuff, as the spring season just started and I did not see/read a report on the first game of the team he plays in. And yes, his wife is Austrian, that's why he came here. He was in one of my two teams too, his days in Lazio.

His current team is more like *oma, as far as the structure goes. Admira-Wacker-Mödling like *oma is also built from three formerly independent clubs, with Wacker Wien and Admira having been two very traditional teams. My grandfather played for Wacker Wien back then, so him and Jugovic share a club, in a way.....

:)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
It's a german word and was used quite a lot for football teams in Austria and Germany. Admira Wacker Mödling would be an active example in the Austrian league, Wacker Burghausen would be one from 2nd German league. Many Wacker teams faltered throughout the years and nowadays newly founded teams arn't likely to adopt that word. There was Wacker Innsbruck, a very traditional team from Tyrol, which was very successful (including European Cups) in the 70s, but was replaced by a business idea outfit named "FC Tirol", which crashed after some financial crookery, was eliminated from our league and in it's new form as Wacker Tirol is in 2nd league.

Logic suggests it comes from the adjective "wacker", meaning "having courage" and/or (and that's the fun part in the crookery around the Innsbruck team) "being honest/upright", etc. Websearch tells me the word should come out of the Alsace region. It was used in the regions around Tyrol & Salzburg in Austria and Southern Germany mostly, probably still today. In the regions around Vienna and Northern Germany not really, although there is a very similar Dutch word which should mean basically the same, which you should know better than I do.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Kris, Admira started the spring season with a boring 0-0 draw in Kärnten. They had exactly one chance, after Jugovic first hit the post with a header and then, still on the ground, gets the rebound, but the keeper saves. That scene was in the very first minutes, the rest was, as I said, boring.

·
Registered
40,648 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

Alexx, that Lazio team was very different from these last few years, hell even I liked 'm. The emphasis was actually on teamwork and Jugovic was an excellent player for such an organization.

So how good were Admira and Wacker in the past and when/why did they merge? What I'm trying to ask is, is it a team with tradition? And what is it like nowadays, for instance, what was their ambition at the start of the season, any other big names next to Jugovic etc.

Also, how do rate Dmitrovic and what did you think of Savicevic when he played in Austria? Dmitrovic had a brief spell in our NT under Savicevic, genious on the pitch, idiot on the bench, but Dmitrovic was freakin' horrible! :D

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Both Wacker Wien and Admira Wien had been very traditional teams (founded 1905 and 1908). Wacker champion once, I think and various 2nd ranks.

Admira had been champions 8 times, Toni Schall und Adolf Vogel had been regulars in the mentioned "Wunderteam". Teams played different systems and line-ups back then, but in a way you could say Admira's 2 Wunderteam players played in the pitch area which is now covered by Jugovic.

Seen loosely timewise, around the Wunderteam period Admira was pretty much a ruling team, they had been champions 7 times between mid-twenties and late thirties.

Wacker was more one of the clubs which concentrated on building players and not get distracted too much by overambitious behavior. But everybody liked the club and it was known for kinda big and loyal crowds. In the 60s they slipped to what we call "elevator club", getting relegated, coming up, getting relegated, coming up

Then one classic thing happened. This one energy company started to sponsor Admira and bought them a star team. Which turned them into champions after gazillions of years again in 1966. But this partnership with this sponsor also sealed their downfall. The energy company happened to be from the province outside Vienna and all this happened in connection of Admira leaving Vienna and settling kinda 5 km outside city bounds. In the beginning it worked OK, but then they started to lose the crowd fast and until today they are a kind of middle of nowhere, unrooted team.

In the late 60s Wacker Wien developed unmanagable financial problems, so in 1971 they merged with Admira. Deal was: Wacker somehow still kept on existing this way, Admira hoped for the loyal Wacker fans to show up. But that did not happen.

They had OK seasons, but never any real glory among them and simply no crowds. Occasionally they have a good season, even in an European cup they did quite well for some games. At the same time they hardly ever had money, so they had to sell the best players. Quite a row of them later made it to NT, when playing for other clubs.

Then the for me real sad thing happened. The 3rd team came into play. I mean, respect to them, they existed since 1911 and everything, but even they played in first league for a season, they mostly had been an irrelevant village team. But after the fusion club Admira/Wacker failed to find new glory in some project with yet another club, the great names Admira and Wacker stood close to extinction. So Mödling stepped in and saved the big names. Frankly the team should be Mödling, but Mödling backed up a bit. It's still Mödling's colors and also the emblem is the Mödling emblem, kind of, if I'm not mistaken.

Since then the team does mediocre or worse, still they keep the league and only this season are back in some more swing as a team you could file midtable material.

You never know about them nowadays, because they have an ambitious coach and in addition to Jugovic, they have some interesting players, for our league's standards. Some guys who have occasional international caps, most of them Polish and they have Astafjevs, who will be at the EURO for Latvia.

I did not follow Dmitrovic too much, but Savicevic also in the winter of his career showed what a masterful talent he had, as long as he could find some fitness, at least.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Austrian Football has a lot of History, they're not bad in club competition

3 european finals if i'm not wrong(rapid viena(2) and Salzburg)

i have bad memories of 94 and 96 for sporting because we lost against salzburg and rapid in your journey to the finals(****ing Jancker:fero: )

in the National team subject, well you were in 90 and 98 World Cup and many others in the past, and you just need to improve the young players, and try to just select top foreign players and not crappy ones, and try to have just 4 or 5 foreigners in each club...i bet this would benefit the austrian football

by the way Prater is a beautiful stadium ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts