Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it. Just when you think Gaspart can't be even more stupid, then he thinks about signing... Van Gaal???!!!! A guy who almost everyone in Barça dislikes? A guy who signed superstars like Bogarde, de Boer or Zenden? Yes, he won 2 Ligas; like he's the only man on Earth capable to win a league with Barça. Please, people, say you agree with me. We can't return to the past again:mad:

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Maybe we shouldn't return to the past, but what i will say about Van Gaal which i don't believe any of you can deny is that he has a system and sticks to it and does not get pushed around by players who try to change the way he does things. Maybe this also causes problems, but with all of the prima donnas on this team i feel like it is needed.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
This is the best chance to get Irrueta and he decides to get Van Gaal.

Irrueta is uncertain of his future at depor and we could get a manager who the fans will like. The fans will get behind Fernandez aswell and atleast its a good style of football that they play.

Look at Van Gaal, u guys said it before that van gaal football is crap and knowing that he isnt liked as barca makes me think why we should get him.

Maybe its just a ploy to get the media off the negotiations thats happening behind the scenes with someone like Irrueta.

Dont know about you guys but dont you find it strange that Rexach is stated 2 have a big influence on whos the new manager and he said he dont want Van Gaal as new manager.

Were still trying to get to terms to the mess Van Gaal got us in, in the first place and i fought we would finally get back to what we were with Irrueta, Fernandez, Bianchi.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Super Puyol said:
... A guy who almost everyone in Barça dislikes? ...
Sorry, i hate Van Gaal just as much as the next guys (look at my post in the 'new manager' thread), but i read that in a survey among barca fans Van gaal rated third (after bianchi and fernandez) as most wanted successor to rexach. Gaspart probably saw that survey too... can't blame him for that.

As i said, i would really hate it if Van Gaal would come back to Barca.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey guys, I got your point, but just look at the polls on elmundodeportivo.

¿Es Van Gaal el entrenador que necesita el Barça? (Is Van Gaal the coach that Barca need?)

Yes 55%
No 45%

¿Se equivoca Gaspart fichando a Van Gaal? (Is Gaspart wrong signing Van Gaal?)

Yes 37%
No 63%

So it's not that everobody hates the guy... Actually, the majority want him.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
if they did the vote with all the other candidates im sure he wouldnt b top though

·
Banned
110 Posts
he is the only option barca have now. there are no other good managers available to take over barca at the moment apart from van gaal...i dont see any problem with him coaching barca, he has had success there, has experience and brought in some very good players too. seriously, there isnt much comparision if u compare van gaal with managers like rexach or serra ferrer. if he doesnt stick around long term, it might be a good idea to at least keep him at the club for a little time, he will put you back on track again like he did after robson left.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
onemangamg im happy to see youve changed and your not as arrogant oas you were when you first came.

I would choose Bianchi, Irrueta, Victor Fernandez anyday over Van Gaal unless hes changed.

Atleast with the two spanish managers you know you will have spanish players treated fairly (oscar) and with bianchi if he brings in a few argentinian players he cant go overboard (3 non eu) and hes a manager that has trust in youth if there good.

VG was too arrogant last time and treated the dutch players better than the rest. Theres a saying that a manager should never go back to his old club.

·
Banned
110 Posts
mazzah...yeah, u have a good point, if the manager doesnt equally favor all players, the team will obviously be unsettled. but still asides from the van gaal option, having irrureta is impossible, since deportivo wont let him leave and i doubt his contract is expiring. dont know about bianchi's situation at boca juniors, but victor fernandez could be an excellent option to replace rexach for next season. he has done very well at celta this season, and would bring some good football and attacking tactics to the side. he seems to really like mostovoi as well...so he might bring the russian to add more creativity to midfield. so, keep ur fingers crossed for victor fernandez, he can really make all the difference. ;)

why are u calling me arrogant anyway? i was always polite on this forum...:D

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Van Gaal set for shock Barca return?

BARCELONA, May 7 (Reuters) - What appeared at first to be just a piece of mischievous speculation is gaining what could be unstoppable momentum, with Spanish newspapers reporting on Tuesday that Louis van Gaal is set to return as Barcelona coach.

Van Gaal won two league titles in three years as Barca coach from 1997-2000 but his time in Catalunya was marked by rows with players and relentless criticism from media and fans, who found it difficult to accept the former schoolteacher's prickly style.

He is currently out of a job after failing to qualify the Dutch national team for the World Cup.

The Catalan daily Sport first raised the possibility of a comeback a couple of days after Barcelona's humiliating defeat to Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal at the Nou Camp last month.

The news was greeted with scepticism in Barcelona, although current coach Carles Rexach, who will help choose his own successor at the end of the season, did not reject the idea completely.

'It sounds to me like a way of sounding out the public,' Rexach said at the time. 'A lot of coaches have come back for a second spell.'

The van Gaal trail went cold for a few days before a 1-1 draw with Real Madrid at the Bernabeu confirmed the club's European Cup exit to their great rivals.

Speculation over possible candidates to replace Rexach has been hotting up ever since and on Tuesday three of the country's four national sports newspapers said that club president Joan Gaspart was preparing to announce van Gaal's appointment.

Sport carried the most detailed report, saying that Gaspart had spoken with van Gaal on Sunday and taken the decision to offer the post to the Dutchman despite likely opposition from supporters and some of the club's directors.

Barcelona said on Tuesday the club would not comment on any rumours regarding the position of coach. 'When there's any news it will be announced officially by the club,' a spokesman said.

The Dutchman's return would be a huge gamble for Gaspart, who took over from Josep Lluis Nunez just after van Gaal's departure and has since presided over two seasons without a trophy.

Few Barcelona fans were sorry to see the van Gaal leave in May 2000 after a fractious spell in charge.

But the Dutchman did lead the side to a Spanish league and cup double in his first season, a successful defence of the championship the following year and second place in the table, plus a run to the semifinals of the Champions League, in his final campaign.

Since his departure, Barcelona's form has dipped alarmingly, as first Llorenc Serra Ferrer and then Rexach have failed to build on van Gaal's work.

Under Rexach, the side reached the last four in the Champions League once again this season but their league form has been poor, despite a massive outlay on players.

Source: www.soccernet.com

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You guys just have brilliant imagination...
You think that Bianchi or Irrueta or Fernandez comes and everything will be great. I don’t actually see why are they better than Van Gaal.
Reasons why I’d like VG to be our coach for the next season:
1.VG knows the club, 3 years spent in Barca is good experience.
2.VG likes a very offensive style with pressure, wide wings, and tactics which doesn’t only mean to choose a starting eleven but also to give individual orders to each player (remember our 3:2 win at Bernabeu?)
3.VG doesn’t let stars give rules in the team, his word is the last word! And this is good
4.VG can make players put their all hearts into the game, not to walk on the pitch
5.VG also should now know that in Barca it’s not only about the scores, but also he has to get on well with the press and supporters
6.VG won’t build another Dutch colony, trust me, I’m sure he learnt a lot when he was here before, and when he does try to, I don’t mind seeing Van der Vaart or Van Bommel in the team
7.I don’t think that getting Rivaldo, Kluivert, de Boer (you are unfair to him), Hesp, Zenden, Cocu or Simao were bad transfers!!!do you?Even Reiziger played well in his beggining with Barca...
8.and didn’t VG put Puyol, Xavi, Gabri, or sometimes even Santamaria in the first line-up? He’s the best talent searching coach I know, not affraid to play with youngsters. Admit it!
9.to Super Puyol: Please don’t tell me that it’s nothing to win the Liga or else why don’t we win every year?! And it’s not going to the past.

And what do you know about Bianchi?
You just hope he brings Riquelme. I’d also like him (JRR)to come to Barca, but I think we have a great playmaker, that is Xavi, what we need is a strong and speed defender and defensive midfielder.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Yes i said that IF hes changed his media handling and learnt from his mistakes he will be a good choice

·
Banned
110 Posts
well said voyteck...excellent points. i was saying an almost similar thing, i mean, he is familiar with the club and can turn young players into some of the best in the world as he has shown with ajax and then barca. also, what is ur take on the barca fans calling him arrogant?

fernandez still wouldnt be a poor choice though. he hasnt had the best season ever with celta even though he has transformed the club altogether, so it would be interesting to see how he can do at barca, quite probable dont u think?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
van gaal has said if gaspart wants him back gaspart must to sell rivaldo and give 2 more years to frank de boer

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I think VG is an excellent coach. I mean: winning La Liga twice with Bogarde in your team. Quite an accomplishment.....

A good coach wouldn't have Bogarde in his team in the first place. And as far as I know VG only got worse with the media....

·
Registered
555 Posts
voyteck, I have to give you point 3 and 8 in your list. In my opinion VG won't be a good coach and here is my list why he shouldn't be barca's next coach:

1. He has made some stupid, crucial, tactical mistakes in the past. Take his choice to replace a defender for an attacker ten minutes for the end of the game with a 2-0 in our advantage on the scoreboard for instance (Holland - Portugal, 2001). We tied 2-2. Or Holland decisive game against Ireland, it was full of tactical failures.

2. Everything is subordinate to his royal system. That's good for our prima donna, but it also has one big problem. To execute his plan all players in all positions has to fit in excactly. At Barca he found a squad who didn't so he brought in alot of Ajax player to fill in this hole. This is not the way a coach should work.

3. In addition to point two, he will not sell the dutch players. believe me, i know how good these players are (i'm dutch :) ) but most of them are in the autumn of their careers, meaing: the're old! And therefore, with the exception of Kluivert and maybe cocu, they should be sold.

4. He still can't work with the press. He showed it again at his exit at the dutch NT. That's just the may he is: arrogant and stubborn. In principal i don't mind this, but when things are not going that well, bad media will have its influence on the squad and their performance.

5. he had his chance! he took it in his first season and then slowly let it slip away...

I'm not saying that Bianchi or fernandez or Irrueta will make everything ok, but they will straighten out the club. Besides, they have proven to be a good coach just as VG (in his days at Ajax).

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
van gaal going back to barca??? :eekani:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
well Riva will leave... but the worst news that i got was Van Gal coming to barca :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
van gaal wants sell rivaldo, kluivert,sergi,abelardo,alfonso and dutruel and a minium of 4 incorporations 1 must be a crack that can be hasselbaink

1 - 20 of 116 Posts