Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I would love to have this guy! Now this guy has guts one can admire - sends one of the best players in the world home (Easily Irelands best player) and still qualifies to the knock-out stages losing to Spain on penalties.

I would be happier than a Portista in sh*t if we hire ****!

Forca ****! Sign the f*cking thing.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldnt mind having **** McCarthy there either !! But we dont know if this is Bullsh!t !! But it does seem there will be a non Portuguese coach. Pacheco has seemed to fade from the picture.My prefferred choice Scolari hasnt rated a mention . But McCarthy would be good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i wouldn't trust anything The Sun newspaper says. It's a dodgy tabloid paper that makes up stuff most of the time....:)

But, then again, stranger things have happened...

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I don't know... why would they pick **** out of thin air? I believe there's something there. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
monkski said:
i wouldn't trust anything The Sun newspaper says. It's a dodgy tabloid paper that makes up stuff most of the time....:)

But, then again, stranger things have happened...
Isnt that the paper that published nude pics of Figo's wife ???

·
Registered
213 Posts
COUTO 5 said:

Isnt that the paper that published nude pics of Figo's wife ???
It was either the sun, the mirror or the star, one of those papers. Am gonna go and buy the paper now and see if there's anymore stuff in it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
monkski said:

It was either the sun, the mirror or the star, one of those papers. Am gonna go and buy the paper now and see if there's anymore stuff in it.
More about the Portugal- McCarthy story or nude pics of Figo's wife ???

·
Registered
213 Posts
COUTO 5 said:

More about the Portugal- McCarthy story or nude pics of Figo's wife ???
LOL! I clicked 'submit' and realised what i wrote looked a bit dodge. I was hoping no one would notice!:)

But, i'll go for the McCarthy story, being a young lady i'm not too keen on nudie pics of Mr Figo's wifey!:D

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
It would be good to see him here, he is an extremely good coach. But I don't know its a tabloid, can't really believe them. Mean while I'm in World Cup, having a stupid argument with a Turkish fan whose saying that we suck.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
We do suck, that's why we need McCarthy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
non portuguese coach huh.......the dude is good, but can he take us all the way....i dunno....id like too see germany, senegal or even brazil coach get an offer for the job now those guys can take us far!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Bgomes said:
non portuguese coach huh.......the dude is good, but can he take us all the way....i dunno....id like too see germany, senegal or even brazil coach get an offer for the job now those guys can take us far!
Wutta ya nuts? This dude missed out on the quaterfinals by a c*nt hair with a 10th of the talent on the Spanish and their best player home. Imagine what he can do with what is supposedly a talented team like ours.

I'd easily rate this guy in the top 5 of this world cup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
good coach yes. Very disciplined, yes. But, his tactics are very similar to AO, still....he will definetely prepare the squad better than AO+Coelho+Jorge squared.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
You'll have to tell me what Oliveira's tactics are - I didn't see any. All I saw is a guy who had absolutely no clear direction, the way flip-flopped from game to game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't McCarthy play with two strikers? Just because he makes every run doesn't mean he's defensive minded.

Besides, tactics are a matter of personal preference. Surely, most of us prefer the kamakazi philosophy, but really what's important is clear direction from the beginning and solid preperation. The rest is up to lady luck and talent.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
First off why the hell we would want a foreign coach whilst we have one of the best coaches in europe on our own doorstep almost defies belief, especially when this manager has stated he wants the job!!! Seeing as pacheco's contract ends next season there would be nothing wrong in employing part time, for all those demanding friendlies, and then he could take the job full time at the end of the season. Even if Pacheco doesnt come we have other very good Portuguese managers who would be up to the challenge of managing the NT such as Queiroz and Coelho

Secondly to McCarthy. His tactical philosophy embodies every quality that Portuguese is not......the long ball. Ireland only did so well because they hoofed it up to quinn as soon as he came on every time an Irish player was in possession. Also let us not forget that Ireland failed to qualify for wc 98 and euro 2000, despite having on paper a top 10 team in europe. Im not saying he's not done well, but if Portuguese football was in such a state that it really needed to appoint a foreign coach, then a continental such as Jacquet would be better.

Finally, Id like to voice my concerns about the concept of a foreign manager. Whilst it may be fashionable to appoint a foreign coach due to their success with certain countries (Japan, S.Korea, England etc.) it is imperative to realise that a national team is supposed to represent the football of the nation state in question. Therefore by having a foreign manager Portuguese football would not be truly represented, as the most important man in the whole footballing structure of the country would not be Portuguese. If for example McCarthy were to take over it would be a representation of Irish and Portuguese football. It would be no different to having Ronaldo playing up front because he's better than any Portuguese striker or Kahn in goal because he's better than any Portuguese goalkeeper. Frankly I cannot see why FIFA allow it, however as it is allowed I would not be the least be suprised if some time in the future players were allowed to play for a country of their choice, just as a manager is allowed to manage the country of his choice, especially with EU legislation evolving as it has done over the last decade , the concept of foreign players playing for countries could well be a reality within the next two decades or so!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
take all that "Portuguese Pride" **** and shove it. I didn't see any Portuguese pride this summer, in fact that national team performances will go into my book:

"The follies of Portuguese enterprise" (it's about 1000000000000 pages in length right now)

As per the whole 2 strikers debate.....I don't get why there is a debate? A good coach can design a system that could work with 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 strikers in the lineup.

Oliveira's tactics border on cowardice and go out and try to get the 1-0 win, I don't doubt that under McCarthy the boys would run harder....but the basic premise would remain the same---> 70% of our game would be focuses on our backline.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I dont think hes the right choice. He doesnt know enough about our style of play and his style of play would clash with our methods. Plus theres the communication barriers, and didnt we have some problems with this guy in the qualifiers. Some of the players were involved in those arguments as well werent they.

Anyways I think there are better options - Hiddink, Parreira, Pacheco to name a few.

McCarthy just seems too risky an uncertain a move; Im not sure the players would respond to him IMO

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have nothing against a foreign coach myself, but I agree that McCarthy is not the right choice. The Irish style of play is like the complete opposite of our style. I'd hate to see our brilliant (ok, sometimes brilliant :rolleyes: ) midfielders just stand there and watch the ball fly over their heads as the defence launched long balls hoping that Pauleta could reach them...I also don't think McCarthy's hard-nosed attitude is what we need, true we need someone to keep the egos in check, but we need someone who understands the Portuguese mentality, a guy like McCarthy would only cause dissent in the squad and we'd have another Souness vs. Benfica type situation again..

The job is Jaime Pacheco's...has been since Coelho left...

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Finally, Id like to voice my concerns about the concept of a foreign manager. Whilst it may be fashionable to appoint a foreign coach due to their success with certain countries (Japan, S.Korea, England etc.) it is imperative to realise that a national team is supposed to represent the football of the nation state in question. Therefore by having a foreign manager Portuguese football would not be truly represented, as the most important man in the whole footballing structure of the country would not be Portuguese. If for example McCarthy were to take over it would be a representation of Irish and Portuguese football. It would be no different to having Ronaldo playing up front because he's better than any Portuguese striker or Kahn in goal because he's better than any Portuguese goalkeeper. Frankly I cannot see why FIFA allow it, however as it is allowed I would not be the least be suprised if some time in the future players were allowed to play for a country of their choice, just as a manager is allowed to manage the country of his choice, especially with EU legislation evolving as it has done over the last decade , the concept of foreign players playing for countries could well be a reality within the next two decades or so!!
Yes! Finally someone who agrees with my seemingly out-moded notions of patriotism and pride. Piss on everyone who puts that stuff down because our NT didn't do well at this cup. It DIDN'T do well because of a lack of character, organization and discipline. Maybe with a little more patriotism and pride they would have found the guts to do better. There must be a Portuguese individual somewhere with those qualities who can take control of our NT - and I agree 100% that it is essential that it be someone PORTUGUESE not a foreigner. Any achievement with a foreign coach would be a tainted achievement because we didn't do it by ourselves.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts